Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I believe what you are trying to say after reading your posts are we should all just be good little followers and let our trusty government handle it all. If they want everyone's guns then just give them up, everything will be ok. Good Luck with that.

That's not what I'm trying to say at all and you have completly misread my posts on the matter. As an avid collector of military weapons for the last 50 years and a registered owner of Class III weaponry I am attempting to bring some balance to this argument concerning gun ownership, the second amendment and reasonable restrictions.

I can assure you mister bigr, that if the only spokespeople we have on our side are rigid, inflexible kitchen table constitutionalists then we will lose big time in this debate. If we as gun owners and second amendment advocates are not part of the solution concerning reasonable restrictions we will get steamrollered and lose big time. The Supreme Court has spoken on the issue. It is the law of the land and we as citizens must abide by it. Reasonable restrictions are coming, let's be part of the conversation instead of rejecting them out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:54 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
One is a tool and one is a human action.

As big and strong as I am my hands could be considered deadly weapons. You gonna ban my hands?
More preposterous logic. Perhaps we should just ban your hands using a keyboard.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:55 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
A ridiculous assertion to which I can only reply, legislation does change things and government is the answer.
Oh really? LBJ introduced legislation in 1964 that was to "eliminate poverty in America". What has it done? It has created the greatest sized welfare mentallity the world has ever seen. This is just one shining example of what your "legislation in action" has done for this country. How about the "war on drugs"? More legislation. How has that worked for you? The fact is, there isn't much out there that legislation has done that has had a positive impact on this country... You are right about one thing.. Legislation does change things. For the worse!!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
No ban or restriction on any weapon will ever get through the current Congress.

Nothing will change. Not even if there are 10 or 20 or 100 more Newtown shootings.

The gun industry and its trade association (the NRA) simply do not care. Why should they? Massacres like this are good for business.
This may be truth. It makes me puke to think it, but it may well be truth.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,574,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh really? LBJ introduced legislation in 1964 that was to "eliminate poverty in America".

Please cite a law signed by Johnson which made poverty a criminal offense.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
these people who have done these shootings around the country have broken many laws, do you really think that one more will make them decide, "you know, it just isnt worth the jail now with that new law in place, so i wont go on a shooting spree"?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Sweden has similar laws to ours and less restrictions.. They have more guns per capita than any nation and yet their gun fatality rate is low.. It's not about guns... It's about a mentallity..
It's about both. Get over yourselves and recognize that YOU are part of the "mentality" problem.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
It's about both. Get over yourselves and recognize that YOU are part of the "mentality" problem.
Frankly I find YOU to be the problem.

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Why don't we, as gun owners try to come up with some common sense regulations to put forward? True criminals won't follow them anyways, which is why crimes committed with guns needs harsher punishment.

Why let the ones that want to take all guns try to make the law, we should put our ideas out there. Sitting around and saying "you can't take my guns" won't stop new laws, but maybe being reasonable will help.

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
... About ensuring that Congress remains implacably opposed to any new gun laws, no matter how many Americans want them.
Nobody wants more gun laws. We have 20,000 of them, already. 20,001 won't change anything.

Realize this: Either I get to have my "assault weapon," or I don't consent to being part of your country.

You come after guns, and you will crack this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why don't we, as gun owners try to come up with some common sense regulations to put forward?
I sniff a mole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies