Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
One has a natural right to all methods of self defense. If you attack a man's right to defend himself, you are the aggressor.
That's not true even on its face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Ah, you invert the aggression. One has a natural right to all methods of self defense. If you attack a man's right to defend himself, you are the aggressor.

Don't attack a man, and you won't force him to defend himself from you.

Your guns would only be taken if you didn't use them to thwart the taking.
Then obviously you haven't heard the racket going on to ban ALL guns.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 PM

583 posts, read 885,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
That's not true even on its face.
Dude, you're outmatched. Let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then obviously you haven't heard the racket going on to ban ALL guns.
Mechanics, my Lady. How would they "take" these guns against an owner determined otherwise?

A gun's worth is in its using.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This is a good post that brings up a good point.
In my town in Arizona, there was a product being sold called "Bath Salts". It was driving the teenagers nuts who were buying it. One stabbed his girlfriend and one drove off a cliff with four buddies in the car. All high on "Bath Salts". The police couldn't do anything about it because "Bath Salts" were legal. After about 30 bizarre incidents in a small town of 8,000, the town banned the product and made it illegal. Guess what. The bizarre actions were greatly reduced. Sure, the kids now could still take meth, or huff paint but the "Bath Salts" really was in a class by itself for off the wall behavior. Legislation does have an impact on society. Anybody who doesn't think so has their head in the sand.
Stealing has been against the rules since the ten commandments were written. The I don't steal because there are laws against it argument doesn't fly IMO. You don't steal because it's wrong first and foremost not because somebody made it a law. Neither is killing folks.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I believe there are a lot of criminals that would not use guns if they didn't have to.

In America, you use a gun in the commission of a crime because you assume that the intended target is also going to have a gun.

In countries where people don't have guns on hand, the criminals tend to not use guns either, because they aren't in fear for their lives.

Does that make the criminals good people? NO - but it does prevent the end result that when everyone has a gun someone is probably going to get shot.

I think your average burglar would rather not carry a lethal weapon, to be honest.

Good points, easily documentable.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And some care less about mass murders than about the preservation of their right to own weapons of mass murder.
My deer rifle holds seven rounds, is it a weapon of mass murder?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Stealing has been against the rules since the ten commandments were written. The I don't steal because there are laws against it argument doesn't fly IMO. You don't steal because it's wrong first and foremost not because somebody made it a law. Neither is killing folks.
Illogical. The chief purpose of legislation is to announce what the state regards as wrong behaviour; the punitive consequence merely follows from the declaration of misdemeanor. Therefore, if morality determines behaviour, it behooves the state to pronounce on the immorality of a certain thing. Legislation is public morality.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Mexico is a third-world country. The U.S. isn't...

or are we?

Every other rich Western country has lower murder rates than we do. Even China's is only 1/4th as high.
Every time an illegal alien from a third world country enters our country we are one step closer to becoming a third world country also..If California was an independent country it would have become a third world country years ago....

Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen
Realize this: Either I get to have my "assault weapon," or I don't consent to being part of your country.

Perfect. You, sir, are a psychopath. Keep it up. The rest of the country is starting to find you as repugnant as I do.

What hate, fear, mental disturbance and trolling. Get help for your hoplophobia before your dementia and irrationality progresses.

LOL, I"m the one with dementia and irrationality... Will you be here all week?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Dude, you're outmatched. Let it go.

Mechanics, my Lady. How would they "take" these guns against an owner determined otherwise?

A gun's worth is in its using.
The military, and police forces are just as well armed as you, and they out number you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies