Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Sweden has similar laws to ours and less restrictions.. They have more guns per capita than any nation and yet their gun fatality rate is low.. It's not about guns... It's about a mentallity..
It's a moot point. This is a problem within the power of government to solve, and the only way government can act is by legislation. Since mentality can't be legislated, the instrument must be. You can't stop me from thinking pyromaniac thoughts, but you can outlaw my possession of kerosene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Criminals won't follow gun bans just like they don't follow the laws in place currently. How can one enforce such bans on certain weapons when we have wide open borders that will just allow them to flow through?? We learned you can't stop drugs from coming on what makes anyone think we could stop weapons?
Truth is, all the arguments concerning more restrictive gun laws made by gun advocates are true. The Mantras of "Criminals will get guns no matter what", "Banning guns will not stop mass murderers" and on and on are true statements. My point is that the pendulum of society's perceptions has swung in the direction of more restrictions. The bulk of society is looking at our president to lead in this matter and have no doubt, he will. He didn't want to have this fight but now that it is in his lap via recent events, he will lead in the only way society wants.

I'm certain that the real solution is to completely overhaul the nation's mental health system that Ronald Reagan dismantled during his administration as a cost saving measure. If this guy's mother had mental health services readily available for her son, this probably would never have happened.
But I'm afraid politicians won't do this, as the cost would be in the many billions of dollars and the benefits would not be realized for years. Creating flashy restrictions against all manner of guns will play big with the American public and not cost the government a dime. This is the kind of legislation politicians love and goes front and center on their resume.
I do believe that there are enough republicans in the house to get a bill through. Remember, politicians play to their constituents and public opinion is very much for "some definite action" concerning these mass killings.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
How have they solved it? There are still mass murders all over the world. There have been mass murders in the US for the last hundred years but now all of a sudden the world is ending if we don't ban guns? That is your entire argument. It won't change anything.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
It's a moot point. This is a problem within the power of government to solve, and the only way government can act is by legislation. Since mentality can't be legislated, the instrument must be. You can't stop me from thinking pyromaniac thoughts, but you can outlaw my possession of kerosene.
If you outlaw kerosene you will start a fire with whatever else is available. Or just illegally get you some kerosene. Criminals don't follow the law.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And somehow, Britain is a much, much safer nation than we are by any homicide measure. That is really strange, isn't it...
Yep.

Just like they were before the gun ban.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If you outlaw kerosene you will start a fire with whatever else is available. Or just illegally get you some kerosene. Criminals don't follow the law.
It's a lot easier to kill people with a gun than with kerosene. A fire usually gives people some time to escape.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,940,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's a lot easier to kill people with a gun than with kerosene. A fire usually gives people some time to escape.
Ever start a fire with gasoline? How much time do you have to run from a 20ft gasoline trail? The fastest human on earth can't get away if the placement is right.. Then it's just a question of what the trail leads to.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Truth is, all the arguments concerning more restrictive gun laws made by gun advocates are true. The Mantras of "Criminals will get guns no matter what", "Banning guns will not stop mass murderers" and on and on are true statements. My point is that the pendulum of society's perceptions has swung in the direction of more restrictions. The bulk of society is looking at our president to lead in this matter and have no doubt, he will. He didn't want to have this fight but now that it is in his lap via recent events, he will lead in the only way society wants.

I'm certain that the real solution is to completely overhaul the nation's mental health system that Ronald Reagan dismantled during his administration as a cost saving measure. If this guy's mother had mental health services readily available for her son, this probably would never have happened.
But I'm afraid politicians won't do this, as the cost would be in the many billions of dollars and the benefits would not be realized for years. Creating flashy restrictions against all manner of guns will play big with the American public and not cost the government a dime. This is the kind of legislation politicians love and goes front and center on their resume.
I do believe that there are enough republicans in the house to get a bill through. Remember, politicians play to their constituents and public opinion is very much for "some definite action" concerning these mass killings.
You are correct. The "mob" is demanding that this stops and will agree with about anything thrown out even though it won't solve the problem. As long as it makes them feel like they are part of the solution they will nod their heads in approval and think all is well.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:30 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yes but in the US we already confiscate guns from people who shouldn't legally own them... if they are caught.

If you're saying that you would give up your guns once there wasn't another gun in the country, legally or illegally owned, then that would make sense. But we all know that's a literal impossibility.
Yes it is an impossibility and my example was addressed at the far left fringe who's ultimate objective is to eliminate all firearms in the country. Maybe I should have put is differently.
"Call me when you've confiscated every gun in the nation and I will gladly turn mine in".

Old 12-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And some care less about mass murders than about the preservation of their right to own weapons of mass murder.
Legally owning a gun or not owning one won't make one bit of difference in the mass murderer's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies