Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM

583 posts, read 885,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You're using a lot of personal attacks here....I suggest you cut it...
I suggest you read the thread in its entirety before you engage in personal attacks and forum abuse.

Read the rules, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The military, and police forces are just as well armed as you, and they out number you.
No, they don't. It's not even close. There are far more gun owners than military and cops. It's like 150 to 1 in favor of gun owners.

Would you resist a gun confiscation?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:27 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You're using a lot of personal attacks here....I suggest you cut it...
Ah! So much for a balanced discussion concerning reasonable restrictions. I can see that the gun advocates, of which I am one, are just as divided as the rest of the republican party. We will chew each other up arguing about how reasonable restrictions apply or whether they apply at all. In the meantime, the anti gunners will have a blank check to determine what constitutes reasonable and we'll be lucky to have a daisy rifle by the time it's all over because nobody from our side will sit down and find common ground.
Sometimes I feel that my fellow gun owners are only proficient at shooting themselves in the foot with their wide variety of firearms.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
No, they don't. It's not even close. There are far more gun owners than military and cops. It's like 150 to 1 in favor of gun owners.

Would you resist a gun confiscation?
Are you planning on having all of those gun owners at your house when the cops show up?

Seriously?

If we, as responsible owners, do not put out some ideas, the day just might come when it is too late to do so.

Sitting by and screaming "over my dead body!!!!" isn't accomplishing anything, and you sound just as stupid as those screaming "ban all guns!!!"

Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Stealing has been against the rules since the ten commandments were written. The I don't steal because there are laws against it argument doesn't fly IMO. You don't steal because it's wrong first and foremost not because somebody made it a law. Neither is killing folks.
True.

I'm pretty sure I could get by with things like murder and stealing. I know I could steal from the workplace. Laws really don't work or we woiuldn't have pot and meth being sold in every middle and high school. We wouldn't have tons of meth and pot coming over the border every day if laws worked. We wouldn't have 30 million foreigners living here illegally if the government could even do the job it was supposed to do.

The reason I don't steal is because I was taught it was morally wrong. Same reason I don't kill anyone.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
The problem is you cannot legislate to prevent "violent intentions".

To date all these shooters led perfectly normal lives.
Not haveing 800 facebook friends does not make you "odd".
Keeping to yourself and reading and high grades shouldn't make you "odd".

Fear drives knee jerk actions.
It's the "evil intentions" committing violence and there is no law you an invoke to prevent or stop that from happening.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

If we, as responsible owners, do not put out some ideas, the day just might come when it is too late to do so.
Here's an idea: Gun Laws are bad. Let's get to work on that.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:33 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Illogical. The chief purpose of legislation is to announce what the state regards as wrong behaviour; the punitive consequence merely follows from the declaration of misdemeanor. Therefore, if morality determines behaviour, it behooves the state to pronounce on the immorality of a certain thing. Legislation is public morality.
When the public has no morality legislation does no good. You can't legislate morality to mass murderers.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,864,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I believe there are a lot of criminals that would not use guns if they didn't have to.

In America, you use a gun in the commission of a crime because you assume that the intended target is also going to have a gun.

In countries where people don't have guns on hand, the criminals tend to not use guns either, because they aren't in fear for their lives.

Does that make the criminals good people? NO - but it does prevent the end result that when everyone has a gun someone is probably going to get shot.

I think your average burglar would rather not carry a lethal weapon, to be honest.
In other words, bend over and hope the criminals decide to be nice to us.

What you're describing is the most efficient way to make burglary a substantially more lucrative and risk free career choice than it currently is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I realize I'm going to get poo pooed for this, but not all criminals are murderers.
Which only hurts your argument. Those same criminals don't immediately become murderers because of lax gun laws.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:41 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The problem is you cannot legislate to prevent "violent intentions".

To date all these shooters led perfectly normal lives.
Not haveing 800 facebook friends does not make you "odd".
Keeping to yourself and reading and high grades shouldn't make you "odd".

Fear drives knee jerk actions.
It's the "evil intentions" committing violence and there is no law you an invoke to prevent or stop that from happening.
Correct, you can't legislate intentions.

But if it were a law to have all firearms secured at all times, maybe this kid wouldn't have gotten his hands on his moms guns. The technology now allows instant access with a finger scan, so there is no way to scream about ease of access.

EVERYONE with other people living in the house should have ALL firearms secured at all times.

Maybe a law that holds the owner responsible for any harm caused by someone else using their gun?
Maybe a law requiring all guns in a home being locked up.
Maybe a mental health flag that would come up on background searches. No details, but a flag.
This wouldn't stop all access, but it would possibly help, and wouldn't require any responsible owner to lose any rights.

Yes, people will not always follow the laws, but we can make it more difficult for the guns to get into other peoples hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies