Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
these people who have done these shootings around the country have broken many laws, do you really think that one more will make them decide, "you know, it just isnt worth the jail now with that new law in place, so i wont go on a shooting spree"?
I would like to be rich, but I am deterred by the law from walking into a bank and demanding all the money. Therefore, the law has worked as intended for at least one person. On the other hand, we know that since banks continue to be robbed, some at not deterred. Therefore, we should revoke the laws against bank-robbery. Or perhaps we should keep the laws, and let the police do their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
One is a tool and one is a human action.

As big and strong as I am my hands could be considered deadly weapons. You gonna ban my hands?
Were your manly hands created solely for the purpose of killing? If so, then yes, we should ban them.

Such stupid arguments. Even you gun fanatics know it, I bet you couldn't keep a straight face if you had to say these things in real life.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Frankly I find YOU to be the problem.
Of course you do. I haven't been brainwashed yet into adoring your weapons of death. I know that troubles you.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
This is so elementary. Until something is made illegal, police agencies are unable to do anything about it. Criminals risk getting caught - we have a criminal code, not in the belief that we can abolish crime, but because it increases the risk of crime.

Your logic would hold that we should revoke laws against rape, because we know that such laws will not entirely prevent rape. But then, that does seem to be the direction of RWNJ thinking, lately.
This is a good post that brings up a good point.
In my town in Arizona, there was a product being sold called "Bath Salts". It was driving the teenagers nuts who were buying it. One stabbed his girlfriend and one drove off a cliff with four buddies in the car. All high on "Bath Salts". The police couldn't do anything about it because "Bath Salts" were legal. After about 30 bizarre incidents in a small town of 8,000, the town banned the product and made it illegal. Guess what. The bizarre actions were greatly reduced. Sure, the kids now could still take meth, or huff paint but the "Bath Salts" really was in a class by itself for off the wall behavior. Legislation does have an impact on society. Anybody who doesn't think so has their head in the sand.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,576,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Realize this: Either I get to have my "assault weapon," or I don't consent to being part of your country. You come after guns, and you will crack this country.
This is really the underlying argument, isn't it: an argument against gun control based on intimidation.

Like the passage of Hitler's enabling laws, with the SA crowding the streets around the Reichstag, chanting "we want the bill or fire and murder!".

Thank you for your honesty.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

583 posts, read 885,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Should an individual also have a right to own a bomb? How about if the individual is certifiably insane and has a felony criminal history?
You posit a nonsensical question. Whatever rights one has one has always had. One can't vote a right into existence.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Nobody wants more gun laws. We have 20,000 of them, already. 20,001 won't change anything.

Realize this: Either I get to have my "assault weapon," or I don't consent to being part of your country.

You come after guns, and you will crack this country.

I sniff a mole.
No you sniff a gun owner, and daughter of a Marine. I don't want my fathers guns taken away from me.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
You posit a nonsensical question. Whatever rights one has one has always had. One can't vote a right into existence.
And that's nonsense to me. Guess we won't be having a discussion.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM

583 posts, read 885,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
This is really the underlying argument, isn't it: an argument against gun control based on intimidation.
Ah, you invert the aggression. One has a natural right to all methods of self defense. If you attack a man's right to defend himself, you are the aggressor.

Don't attack a man, and you won't force him to defend himself from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No you sniff a gun owner, and daughter of a Marine. I don't want my fathers guns taken away from me.
Your guns would only be taken if you didn't use them to thwart the taking.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So how are laws banning guns going to change anything when criminals don't obey laws as you just pointed out?
I believe there are a lot of criminals that would not use guns if they didn't have to.

In America, you use a gun in the commission of a crime because you assume that the intended target is also going to have a gun.

In countries where people don't have guns on hand, the criminals tend to not use guns either, because they aren't in fear for their lives.

Does that make the criminals good people? NO - but it does prevent the end result that when everyone has a gun someone is probably going to get shot.

I think your average burglar would rather not carry a lethal weapon, to be honest.

I realize I'm going to get poo pooed for this, but not all criminals are murderers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies