Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM

78,821 posts, read 61,038,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Part of what I'm saying. Evanston couldn't be nearly as bad is it is being portrayed.
I lived up that way in the mid-90's and there were and are still some fairly rough areas in Evanston even then. Hey, it's no Austin but it wasn't a Lincoln park etiher.

Community Areas - Rogers Park - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

6 Deaths this year in Rogers Park and the last 5 are young men, all shot dead.

The normal death rate is more like 3/year in Rogers Park so sounds like there might be some sort of gang feud going on up that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,223,295 times
Quote:
Part of the point. What concerns me is that there are people who are intent on portraying Blacks in a negative light, and only that, and often use statistics as a means for justification. This is why it is so hard to talk about crime. There are people with a negative agenda. Some who truly want to get more help for Blacks might come with an agenda. There has to be a way to come at this without an agenda.
Gee, I wonder who that could be???

Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM

89,473 posts, read 45,156,209 times
Quote:
Part of the point. What concerns me is that there are people who are intent on portraying Blacks in a negative light, and only that, and often use statistics as a means for justification. This is why it is so hard to talk about crime. There are people with a negative agenda. Some who truly want to get more help for Blacks might come with an agenda. There has to be a way to come at this without an agenda.
If you think a high crime rate among a particular group of people is a negative aspect, then do something to change it.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM

73,235 posts, read 62,923,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
She threw them out as soon as a problem erupted. The shooting happened out in the streets, not at the party.
An even better way to prevent this was to make sure this person never came to the party at all.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
An even better way to prevent this was to make sure this person never came to the party at all.
Armed IRS agents can't even make everyone pay the taxes they owe. How would you suggest a non-related suburban mother control a female gang member's actions and whereabouts?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
If you think a high crime rate among a particular group of people is a negative aspect, then do something to change it.
I am doing something about it. I'm not being involved in crime. I'm taking care of myself the best way I know how. If I don't live in a crime-infested neighborhood, then I can't help what some hood rat who happens to look like me does. I can only take responsibility for myself, my family, and some of my friends. I can call the police if a crime is taking place. I'll gladly be a "snitch" if it calls for it. However, I don't have that kind of power. I'm not Jesse Jackson or Bill Cosby.

We all know crime is a negative aspect. However, what I'm asking for is to be treated as an individual.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Armed IRS agents can't even make everyone pay the taxes they owe. How would you suggest a non-related suburban mother control a female gang member's actions and whereabouts?
Make sure no strangers come to the party. If it were my parents and that party was taking place, and especially if my father was hosting the party, no strangers would be allowed, unless he approved it. He has control so it's his responsibility. I hold the same standard for the mother. She can't control the whereabouts of the gang member, but she can control who comes into her home.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Gee, I wonder who that could be???
Can you elaborate?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I am doing something about it. I'm not being involved in crime. I'm taking care of myself the best way I know how. If I don't live in a crime-infested neighborhood, then I can't help what some hood rat who happens to look like me does. I can only take responsibility for myself, my family, and some of my friends. I can call the police if a crime is taking place. I'll gladly be a "snitch" if it calls for it. However, I don't have that kind of power. I'm not Jesse Jackson or Bill Cosby.
And yet you insist that the party's host can control the whereabouts and actions of each one of the party attendees?

Quote:
We all know crime is a negative aspect. However, what I'm asking for is to be treated as an individual.
We've all already lost that right. Witness the TSA checkpoints at every commercial airport in the country.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I lived up that way in the mid-90's and there were and are still some fairly rough areas in Evanston even then. Hey, it's no Austin but it wasn't a Lincoln park etiher.

Community Areas - Rogers Park - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com

6 Deaths this year in Rogers Park and the last 5 are young men, all shot dead.

The normal death rate is more like 3/year in Rogers Park so sounds like there might be some sort of gang feud going on up that way?
But where are those rough areas? And can you avoid them? And how much of Evanston do the rough areas make up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies