Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What reasons can you suggest for why all those massacres you howl about took place? It wasn't the guns that squeezed the triggers. Why did they take place.

Can you tell me about when psychiatrists started giving some of the dangerous drugs they have for depression and the like.
Yes, because guns are quick and they are impersonal. They allow someone with a mental disorder, that is either undiagnosed or unchecked (or both), to easily carry out an irrational plan.

Antidepressants were "invented" in the 50s. I'm not sure when prescribing began.

I've stated numerous times that our mental health system is in shambles. Doesn't negate the part that easy access to military caliber weapons plays in all of this though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:02 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why don't people use this method now?
They do. Look up the Happy Land social club. See how easy it was for some psycho to kill 90 people in NY with a can of gasoline and a match.

Psychotic assh**es will find ways to be psychotic assh**es, regardless of what is legal to buy. Focusing on what tool they used is not the issue.

Blaming guns for a mass murder is like blaming the internet for hate speech.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Banning assault weapons and 30 cartridge magazines will make their plans a whole lot more difficult.
Which school shooting killed and wounded the most people? I keep seeing reference to the day at Virginia Tech as being in first place now. What kind of weapon was used in that sure as hell massacre? Why nothing longer than a 9mm handgun, I think. Do you consider any weapon that is semi-automatic to be an assault weapon? I bet you do.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
That ISN'T a ban on guns. It is a ban on SOME kind of guns...and rightly so....
Please define assault weapons according to you.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,685,403 times
Quote:
That ISN'T a ban on guns. It is a ban on SOME kind of guns...and rightly so....
What about sawed-off pump action shotguns? Should we ban them, they kill even faster then a high powered rifle at close quarters.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Empty-headed righties just want to feel like they are doing something to solve problems, and it always, always, always, takes the form of the federal government getting BIGGER creating some new law (like arming teachers, mandatory gun safety courses in schools, armed guards)to control our lives. Righties never know anything, so they just empower government to decide what's best, and they never think past the nose on their face.
If you are going to quote others except for one word you should always give the writer some kind of indication of who he is.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
As a progressive, I demand both.
May I suggest this link to you so you can see what probably caused all those dozens and dozens of gun massacres in the last 40 to 50 years? Well I will do it anyway.

The TRUE SOURCE of RANDOM & MASS SHOOTINGS and VIOLENCE - YouTube

Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,186,287 times
Reminds me of this too.....'29 Chicago.

Saint Valentine's Day Massacre - YouTube

Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Yes, because guns are quick and they are impersonal. They allow someone with a mental disorder, that is either undiagnosed or unchecked (or both), to easily carry out an irrational plan.

Antidepressants were "invented" in the 50s. I'm not sure when prescribing began.

I've stated numerous times that our mental health system is in shambles. Doesn't negate the part that easy access to military caliber weapons plays in all of this though.
How about trying to stop the use of dangerous drugs and if it doesn't work please progressives and do away with guns? I bet it would be easier that way.

BTW what drugs was Lantz on?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,544,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post

Your nearest friendly gas station will sell you all the gasoline you can carry and most have cigarette lighters. No license needed. Why struggle with something that is hard to buy? I guess we could ban gasoline too.
Suicide bomber could just put a torch to a propane tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies