Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should President Obama use all options at his disposal to preserve the full faith and credit of the
Yes, he should do everything in his power to protect our credit. 31 44.29%
No, he should allow the US to default if Congress doesn't raise the debt ceiling. 39 55.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:13 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,332,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Not satisfied with Obama.
I couldn't agree with you more on that one!

Obama was, is, and will always be the problem. The debt ceiling is just the next opportunity for him to show just how stupid the people are who voted for him. You going to the party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It took 230 years to go from 3.9 million to 320 million in population. It took 230 years for average incomes to go from about $100 a year to ~$60,000 a year.

Next, Obama didn't create the deficits. Had McCain won in 2008, those deficits would be about the same. The economic downturn created those deficits, not anything Mr. Obama did.

I feel like a professor teaching the same material to the same students who aren't paying attention.
Whats the population have to do with the debt, other than the fact that it proves liberal policies are unsubstainable.

Furthermore, whats the average income of person A, have to do with the debt of the federal government?

Its like discussing apples, on a discussion of international affairs. Pretty soon, people tune you out because its obvious you dont know what the hell you're talking about.

Tell me why do you keep posting charts that have already been proven wrong? Maybe its the teacher that needs to learn something rather than you repeating nonsense thats laughable.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually Bush managed to spend as much as the nation had spent in 240 years before him. Yes, it was irresponsible considering the fact that we were riding on good economic times and there was absolutely no need reason for it. The money was spent on handouts: unfunded tax cuts, massive expansion of medicare, no-bid contracts, and corporate welware. The need for emergency spending didn't kick in until 2008, which is when the current policies were started.

What I am seeing now is GOP and WH agreeing on some significant ideas, and that should be a good start.
What the hell are you talking about? Why is it no liberal has a dam clue..

Dont remember 911, and the recessions, and the need to bail out the airline industry because the economy was crashing?

Hey Finn, if the tax cuts caused the problems, then why the hell did revenues climb?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
Those "pretty pictures" represent numbers and facts (something people who blurt out mere opinions lack.)

But I guess you missed the overall point, namely, when one says that Bush lowered taxes and revenue went up, one has to look at the numbers. What the numbers say is that revenue immediate went down and coincidentally years later went up. Then one has to ask, "was that revenue years later due to those tax-cuts?" To answer that question, one has to look at other factors happening at the same time. What were those facts? One was inflation and another was population growth. So, removing those factors gives us a view of what the tax-cuts alone did. When we do remove those factors we see revenue did not rise due to the tax-cuts and would likely be far higher if they didn't lower taxes.

Really, anyone can make assertions about what happened but only looking at it the way a scientist would look at it yields the truth.

Whether Obama was president went certain things happened doesn't mean he was responsible for those things happening -- no more than Bush, who was President on 9/11/01 is responsible for the terrorist attack.
First, most of the data is a projection so it's not fact.

Second, the largest piece is the Bush-era tax cuts. Only Bush has been gone for four years. And Obama fought tooth and nail to extend them.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
When you claim that revenue went up because there were tax-cuts, but the increase in revenue was really due to increases in the population and inflation, that's a lie.

You can read it here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/27225099-post62.html

This is also notable:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/27280105-post7.html
Bull crap.. increase in the population doesnt automatically generate an increase in revenues. Note the current recession.

Hell, using your example, NYC should be flush with cash, and not running massive deficits every year.

Its humorous that you keep jumping from one excuse to another, rather than facing the truth..

Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Those "pretty pictures" represent numbers and facts (something people who blurt out mere opinions lack.)
Those pretty pictures, represent liberal stupidity and their inability to face reality.. The only thing more surprising that you guys dont understand economics, is the fact that you arent embarassed to continue posting them, while you whine that no one listens to you.. haha

Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Not satisfied with causing America's first ever credit downgrade, Republicans are once again threatening to sabotage our national economy by forcing the United States into a voluntary default on its debts if they don't get their way in making draconian cuts to popular social programs like Social Security and Medicare.

The debt ceiling was raised 18 times under Reagan and 7 times under Bush. It has never been a political issue. Everyone understands that playing with America's credit is a dangerous gambit that leaves no winners... but apparently not today's Tea Party run Congress. The money needed from the ceiling raise is to service debt already incurred by Congress. By refusing to raise the ceiling, Congress is basically saying they will not pay the bills they already racked up. That's like going on a shopping spree with your credit card then simply refusing to pay the bill when it comes. Just as that would have disastrous consequences for your personal credit, so would not raising the debt ceiling have disastrous consequences on the credit rating of the United States of America.

That is why I support the President in using whatever options available to him under the Constitution to preserve the full faith and credit of the United States of America. This includes employing the 14th Amendment and ignore the ceiling or minting the Platinum coin. America MUST repay her debts. The fact that this is even a debate shows just how crazy today's Republicans are. What part of conservative principles include not paying your debts?
step 1, enforce the requirement that the senate pass a budget?

step 2, cut spending.

step 3, raise credit Limit.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Dont remember 911, and the recessions, and the need to bail out the airline industry because the economy was crashing?
It's nice to have an excuse, but it doesn't change the facts.

"The need to bail out industries....." So, now we should bail out industries whenever someone thinks there is a need for it. I guess this line of thinking was the problem with many liberal Bush supporters such as yourself.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-10-2013 at 05:43 AM..

Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
It took 230 years to go from 3.9 million to 320 million in population. It took 230 years for average incomes to go from about $100 a year to ~$60,000 a year.

Next, Obama didn't create the deficits. Had McCain won in 2008, those deficits would be about the same. The economic downturn created those deficits, not anything Mr. Obama did.

I feel like a professor teaching the same material to the same students who aren't paying attention.
People tend to ignore lies. Unless you're a democrat. Then you believe whatever the msm tells you to believe.

Facts are stubborn things.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Why is it no liberal has a dam clue..

Dont remember 911, and the recessions, and the need to bail out the airline industry because the economy was crashing?

Hey Finn, if the tax cuts caused the problems, then why the hell did revenues climb?
You are correct.

Follow this exchange......from dem debate in 2008 It is absolute proof of obama's "fairness" ideology trumps the truth.

You lefties can simply ignore this....it's above your mental capacity.
GIBSON: All right. You have, however, said you would favor an increase in the capital gains tax. As a matter of fact, you said on CNBC, and I quote, "I certainly would not go above what existed under Bill Clinton," which was 28 percent. It's now 15 percent. That's almost a doubling, if you went to 28 percent.
But actually, Bill Clinton, in 1997, signed legislation that dropped the capital gains tax to 20 percent.
OBAMA: Right.
GIBSON: And George Bush has taken it down to 15 percent.
OBAMA: Right.
GIBSON: And in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased; the government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down.
So why raise it at all, especially given the fact that 100 million people in this country own stock and would be affected?
OBAMA: Well, Charlie, what I've said is that I would look at raising the capital gains tax for purposes of fairness.
We saw an article today which showed that the top 50 hedge fund managers made $29 billion last year -- $29 billion for 50 individuals. And part of what has happened is that those who are able to work the stock market and amass huge fortunes on capital gains are paying a lower tax rate than their secretaries. That's not fair.
And what I want is not oppressive taxation. I want businesses to thrive, and I want people to be rewarded for their success. But what I also want to make sure is that our tax system is fair and that we are able to finance health care for Americans who currently don't have it and that we're able to invest in our infrastructure and invest in our schools.
And you can't do that for free.
OBAMA: And you can't take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children and our grandchildren, and then say that you're cutting taxes, which is essentially what John McCain has been talking about.
And that is irresponsible. I believe in the principle that you pay as you go. And, you know, you don't propose tax cuts, unless you are closing other tax breaks for individuals. And you don't increase spending, unless you're eliminating some spending or you're finding some new revenue. That's how we got an additional $4 trillion worth of debt under George Bush. That is helping to undermine our economy. And it's going to change when I'm president of the United States.
GIBSON: But history shows that when you drop the capital gains tax, the revenues go up.
OBAMA: Well, that might happen, or it might not. It depends on what's happening on Wall Street and how business is going. I think the biggest problem that we've got on Wall Street right now is the fact that we got have a housing crisis that this president has not been attentive to and that it took John McCain three tries before he got it right.
And if we can stabilize that market, and we can get credit flowing again, then I think we'll see stocks do well. And once again, I think we can generate the revenue that we need to run this government and hopefully to pay down some of this debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies