Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,714,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why the vanity faculty position? Why not a real job?
Its not that easy to get a real job with a Ph.D. especially in last 5 years or so. I read somewhere that there are about 95000 Ph.D. holders doing Post Doc right now and looking for jobs. There aren't many vacancies.

Importing thousands upon thousands of Ph.D.s from China and India have pushed the salaries even lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 AM

89,591 posts, read 45,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Its not that easy to get a real job with a Ph.D. especially in last 5 years or so. I read somewhere that there are about 95000 Ph.D. holders doing Post Doc right now and looking for jobs. There aren't many vacancies.

Importing thousands upon thousands of Ph.D.s from China and India have pushed the salaries even lower.
With more students than ever attending college, and the skyrocketing tuition costs, why do college faculty positions pay so little? Where is all that tuition money going?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
With more students than ever attending college, and the skyrocketing tuition costs, why do college faculty positions pay so little? Where is all that tuition money going?
Its complicated but nowadays Universities are run like a corporation. University Presidents have chartered Planes. What I have noticed is a rise in positions like Deans, Associate Deans with huge salaries. Professors also have to move around a lot attending conferences and applying for funding.
Universities are on construction spree making up new Dorms and Sports facilities. More you spend on such activities, more funding you get from State and thus you can rake up the tuition and other fees.
Salaries of Professors with Tenure-Track is pretty high. It is Graduate Students, Fresh Ph.D.s, Post Docs who face the brunt.
I went to Grad School about 5 years ago and my Cousin went to same place as a Grad Student about 20 years ago. Now his student stipend was more then me at that time. We are moving in a direction where people at the top will make more money by screwing people at bottom even more.

I have seen people wasting money also. Professors have this pressure that such Research Grant is for so and so time period and they have to spend that much amount in that time period. So they order unnecessary new computers, Printers and so on. I have seen people using next day Fedex service for not so important package. USPS would have been much better deal. Last minute Flight reservations at expensive rates. All these things add up as higher Tuition costs for students.

Last edited by munna21977; 01-11-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 12:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,898,005 times
We are now a welfare nation. As long as the government handouts are so lavish, the populate is content as little piglets suckling on the sow. And they'll keep on voting for those who promise more plump government handouts and outsource the jobs and encourage more massive illegal immigration. That's why Obama won.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,999,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We are now a welfare nation. As long as the government handouts are so lavish, the populate is content as little piglets suckling on the sow. And they'll keep on voting for those who promise more plump government handouts and outsource the jobs and encourage more massive illegal immigration. That's why Obama won.
You really believe that? The "handouts" aren't so plump but that won't stop some people from believing nonsense. Most of those people that you describe are working poor -- who have jobs -- but at jobs that pay too little -- but that won't stop the fallacy of a vast lazy class dependent upon the government.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM

691 posts, read 773,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Its complicated but nowadays Universities are run like a corporation. University Presidents have chartered Planes. What I have noticed is a rise in positions like Deans, Associate Deans with huge salaries. Professors also have to move around a lot attending conferences and applying for funding.
Universities are on construction spree making up new Dorms and Sports facilities. More you spend on such activities, more funding you get from State and thus you can rake up the tuition and other fees.
Salaries of Professors with Tenure-Track is pretty high. It is Graduate Students, Fresh Ph.D.s, Post Docs who face the brunt.
I went to Grad School about 5 years ago and my Cousin went to same place as a Grad Student about 20 years ago. Now his student stipend was more then me at that time. We are moving in a direction where people at the top will make more money by screwing people at bottom even more.

I have seen people wasting money also. Professors have this pressure that such Research Grant is for so and so time period and they have to spend that much amount in that time period. So they order unnecessary new computers, Printers and so on. I have seen people using next day Fedex service for not so important package. USPS would have been much better deal. Last minute Flight reservations at expensive rates. All these things add up as higher Tuition costs for students.

The buildings and arenas are paid for by corporate donors and alumni. All that is left is bloated salaries for an army of teaching assistants that work instead of the tenured professor you thought you were paying for.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,522,951 times
Democrats must be applauding themselves. Tax the rich & high income earners more to support more takers & non citizens.

And who is a principal beneficiary of the food stamp program? Corporate America. The corporatlions which produce the food which the people purchase, and the stores which package and sell the food. Go ahead and end the program. And corporate America will come with their hand-out for help. Farmers already receive about Us$25 billion is welfare each year. You'll be shooting you and the right-wing in the foot!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
The buildings and arenas are paid for by corporate donors and alumni. All that is left is bloated salaries for an army of teaching assistants that work instead of the tenured professor you thought you were paying for.
Whenever I looked at my Tuition / Fees statement, there were were charges like 100 Dollars for so building and 75 for another building. All that money comes from Students only. If you think that Teaching Assistants salary is bloated, then ou are wrong. They are paid less then what Walmart pays. A Janitor at University makes more then TA, RA or a Lecturer.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:20 AM

8,661 posts, read 9,190,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You really believe that? The "handouts" aren't so plump but that won't stop some people from believing nonsense. Most of those people that you describe are working poor -- who have jobs -- but at jobs that pay too little -- but that won't stop the fallacy of a vast lazy class dependent upon the government.
I agree. Really, not very long ago statistically US workers were the hardest working people in the world. Outsource millions of jobs, create incentives for millions of low skill folks to cross our southern border, import hi-skill labor, do this in 15 years, bust up unions, release propaganda that US workers are bums and presto you've got suckers like malamute, and a lot of them.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,297,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
This is America. There is no excuse for being poor here. The only thing standing in your way is a government that always gets paid first with every dollar you earn.
That's a complete load of crap. Your ability to make money in this country is based on luck and connections. Skilled? Smart? Too bad. You can be a researcher making $12 in the Boston area or an engineer on Wall St. making an obscene amount of money based solely on your connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies