Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Liberals don't mind being pompous and arrogant about telling everyone how they shoud live their lives, do they??
Yes, in fact most of us do mind... I would NEVER tell somebody how to live their life, as long as they're not hurting anyone in the process. How were these women hurting anyone? And what does this story have to do with "liberals," anyway? Your attempts to politicize this are pathetic at best.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Your comments, and the comments from the others saying he was mentally challenged pretty much prove my point about people being offended by the truth.
Not "mentally challenged," mentally UNSTABLE - and that opinion has nothing to do with his being religious (at least not to me), it has to do with him accosting strangers with inappropriate notes & shoving his beliefs in their face. Trust me, if somebody had done the same to you, you'd be saying the same exact thing.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:38 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
I'm curious how he knew they were lesbians? Two girls eating together? Could very easily been friends.

Either way, he's drumming up publicity for his store.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 AM

420 posts, read 335,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I find the 'teaching' that there a NO contradictions or errors in the Bible to be truly bizarre.

Basically people who believe that could not have read the Bible (or whatever their favorite translation/interpretation is)
Key words: translation/interpretation.

Without knowledge of ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, along with knowledge of the particular cultures involved, one cannot accurately interpret the Bible, nor any ancient holy script. It's pretty much guesswork, which is why every religion has many sects with many disagreements. Indeed, even with such knowledge, claiming to understand the incomprehensible is irrational at best, psychotic at worst.

If one finds his or her truth in any book (or anything, for that matter), such a person is blessed and should be respected. To claim your truth is also my truth, however, is insecure, self-centered and should be shunned, not respected.

ETA: LOL. Just saw your spoiler.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
Key words: translation/interpretation.

Without knowledge of ancient Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic, along with knowledge of the particular cultures involved, one cannot accurately interpret the Bible, nor any ancient holy script. It's pretty much guesswork, which is why every religion has many sects with many disagreements. Indeed, even with such knowledge, claiming to understand the incomprehensible is irrational at best, psychotic at worst.

If one finds his or her truth in any book (or anything, for that matter), such a person is blessed and should be respected. To claim your truth is also my truth, however, is insecure, self-centered and should be shunned, not respected.
Even if you know the language there is always some ambiguity. How many here have written something only for someone to come, read it, and ridiculously interpret it?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,938,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Even if you know the language there is always some ambiguity. How many here have written something only for someone to come, read it, and ridiculously interpret it?
It just happened to me on this very thread...

Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
He was just telling them, "We don't serve your KIND here."

Repent, or don't come back.
BS... he DID serve them, so obviously he had no problem taking their money. Do you think segregated restaurants served non-whites, and then told them after the fact that "we don't serve your kind?" Hope you're being sarcastic with this comment.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it's the same scenario. Who wants to tell you anything when you blow a gasket when people try to help you?
No, it's not.

There is no debating whether a bomb in your car will kill you... I can see a bomb with my eyes, it will go boom, end of story. On the other hand, there is MUCH debate over religious beliefs (we even have an entire forum for that), and is merely a personal belief set. Furthermore, it's not like being gay is a clear & immediate threat to their life. Seriously, do we really even need to explain this?

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,942 times
Quote:
I'm curious how he knew they were lesbians? Two girls eating together? Could very easily been friends.

Either way, he's drumming up publicity for his store.
Body language between a lesbian couple and two platonic female friends should be obvious to anyone.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 AM

420 posts, read 335,301 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is the nature of language, and of the mind itself. Though language is a wonderful and powerful tool, it is not equivalent to pure thought. We actually have to free ourselves from language to engage in pure thought. Meditation, mind altering substances and/or activities are used in such exercises. These exercises - rituals - are the historical basis for all spiritual/religious experience. In these cases, language is not such a powerful tool as it is an inhibiting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies