Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

Konservatives use the ban on marijuana and other drugs as a way of keeping minorities under control by jailing their entrepreneurs. In many destitute areas of the country illegal drug trafficking is the only game in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Mj is very different. I used to be for legalizing all and just let people od if they want until a five year old told the story about his mom od'ing and I could hear the trauma in his voice. He watched it happen. That poor kid will never forget that.
I do agree though that mj should be legalized now.

I get what what you're saying in regards to the legalization of harder drugs due to the dangers involved. However; I still feel that possession, or use should not be a criminal offense. Some can be saved, others of course cannot. But locking them up with violent criminals does nothing to rehabilitate these people, and only sets them into a downward spiral in life, in which they will never recover from. As a compassionate individual, I cannot support this. Yes actions do have consequences, but aside from violent and heinous crimes people do deserve second chances to make things right.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,227,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.
Shows how back wards things are you would think a true Conservative would think its not the governments business. I agree we should legalize all drugs tax it and regulate it

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,118 times
I might have missed something, but I quickly scanned through this entire thread and couldn't find even on single post giving any justification for keeping pot illegal. Is there anyone in this thread who is willing to defend the prohibition against pot? I'd like to hear this argument. Personally, I think the war on drugs is a big waste of resources, but I'd like to hear someone try to seriously offer a rational argument against the legalization of pot. I can't believe there is no one in CD who is willing to carry this torch.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I might have missed something, but I quickly scanned through this entire thread and couldn't find even on single post giving any justification for keeping pot illegal. Is there anyone in this thread who is willing to defend the prohibition against pot? I'd like to hear this argument. Personally, I think the war on drugs is a big waste of resources, but I'd like to hear someone try to seriously offer a rational argument against the legalization of pot. I can't believe there is no one in CD who is willing to carry this torch.
I think I recall a few posts back in the middle somewhere in which people were against legalization. Not many, though. For the most part, every argument I've heard against legalization outside of CD is based on the "gateway drug" theory, which is patently false.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Because they aren't conservative.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM

990 posts, read 939,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.
Because marijuana is dangerous and if you touch a joint you will suddenly become a brainsucking zombie. But somehow guns are not dangerous, right?

Yeah, that's why I laugh any time a GOP representative (small "r" rep, meaning anyone who presents themselves as a spokesperson for the GOP) claims to be about personal liberty. Until they stand for legalized marijuana, abortion, gambling, travel to Cuba and trade with it, etc. they have absolutely NO credibility on the issue of personal liberty.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Konservatives use the ban on marijuana and other drugs as a way of keeping minorities under control by jailing their entrepreneurs. In many destitute areas of the country illegal drug trafficking is the only game in town.
Would you like to explain to ALL of US why Obama is closing medical marijuana shops and has done nothing about the drug cartel crossing our borders?

Isn't it those on the left that said Americans have a drug problem?? Nice try blaming those that have said very little.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Because marijuana is dangerous and if you touch a joint you will suddenly become a brainsucking zombie. But somehow guns are not dangerous, right?

Yeah, that's why I laugh any time a GOP representative (small "r" rep, meaning anyone who presents themselves as a spokesperson for the GOP) claims to be about personal liberty. Until they stand for legalized marijuana, abortion, gambling, travel to Cuba and trade with it, etc. they have absolutely NO credibility on the issue of personal liberty.
WOW what priorities in life........if we could just accomplish all on your bucket list.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,504,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I'm trying to think of arguments I can use for the Devil's Advocate, but honestly, I can't think of any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies