Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,413,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Yea, Texans want to ban healthcare. Seriously? When will you liberals stop with the BS. All you need to do is look at fiscally responsible Texas versus circling the drain New York to see which plan will work best.

Texans expect folks to take care of themselves, and get government out of the way.
Man, I would even try wasting my time explaining anything to these dimwitted, moronic, "EDUCATED", (lmfao), liberals...

Let them be. Let them keep their heads in their a** and continue to think that NY is the perfect utopia that everyone wish they could live in. Oh and let them continue being brainwashed by the media and believe every stereotypical piece displayed about Texans on the tv. They are too stupid to realize the media is a bunch of BS.

Their loss of they don't want to believe TX blows NY out of the water.

Keep living in lala-land you poor fools.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yet we keep voting Perry into office.

Ya, every year they give us the lesser of two evils.

A good Ron Paul type, would push Rick Perry from the top of the Texas GOP.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:17 AM

65 posts, read 73,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Yea, you can't deny the fact that New York is one of the best when it comes to education while Texas is not so good.

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas is just not in the same league. This would be of concern to New Yorkers.
Yes, that was my point. The northeast consider education high priority. It would be a cultural clash for most people from New York to settle in Texas since Texas does not have the quality of education that people in New York are used to.

I'm sure Texans would have the same concerns about varying culture if they were considering moving to NY as well.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
Better weather, better food, people who don't pride themselves on being rude... and of course, Mr. Goodhair!
Better food? Nope. Not even close. More fattening food, maybe.

Better weather? Sure...but Texas is far from being the only state with better weather. Besides, Texas weather can get quite wintry too in many parts of that state. Think Amarillo or Lubbock is a picnic during winter? Think Houston is a picnic during summer?

Rude? Texans are not all nice people. In fact, they've got the same cross section of rude ass people that you'll find anywhere else. In other words, there is no such thing as "southern hospitality" no matter how much you try to sell it here. Doesn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
That's like someone from San Francisco moving to Iowa.
Worse. Houston isn't even the city San Francisco is, let alone New York. And Houston is a million times larger than San Fran proper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Lol forget I even commented on this topic. I don't feel like arguing with mindless morons who have not a clue.

Glad people like YALL don't live in TX, poisoning it with stupidity cluelessness, and excesive spending.

Oh..so now it's all about the spending?

Wait until the oil profits dry up (like they always do when the market goes bust). Let's see how much you're talking then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I disagree. I have lived in Houston and NYC (and am from Chicago). Now, I am not going to pull your leg and say Houston is as amazing NYC, but it is emerging.

I would argue that if there was any city a New Yorker could tolerate in Texas, it's Houston.
Tolerate? Sure. But still, to compare Houston to NYC is absurd. NYC is world class in every way. Houston isn't even American class...or even Texas class. LMAO. It's a decent sprawl city with all the malls, cookie cutter housing developments, strip malls, fast food and chain restaurant joints you could ever want, with a halfass decent downtown that you won't laugh at, but won't marvel over either.

I find Texas to have two very original cities in Austin and San Antonio...both have a feel that one can appreciate as organic and cultured. Houston? That place is a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
at least they have floorplans for their homes. instead of like nyc which has a suare room for their entire home.
Yea...they've been using the same floor plans all over Texas Metro's for the last 50 years. Should be easy enough.

Besides, it's not about square footage. Real life is measured in what you do when you leave home, not by watching your 60 inch TV in an oversized house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
You'd be surprised. My fiance and I have actually thought about it. Honestly ALOT of people 30 and under are leaving NYS for the past few years due to the high taxes. And living in NYC is cool and all, but in the long term scheme of things--it is VERY expensive. The cost of a large house in Texas would get you a 1 bedroom Condo anywhere in the 5 boroughs. We search for homes all the time, and most places are in the 300-400k range for a decent neighborhood, conveinet location, good schools etc. Plus you need roughly about 20+% down even with "good credit."
All true. However, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be, and at one time, that's how it always was. You had to come down with a decent down payment, and the price of homeownership was something to be obtained and worked for. Frankly, that's how it needs to be again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I was born and raised in NY, my entire family lives there, but I would never move back there. The weather is only part of the reason. The liberal morons downstate are the main reason.
Not everyone downstate is a liberal. And those downstater's are the ones pouring the money into the state. Upstate really doesn't have that much native wealth. Sure is beautiful upstate though.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Haha, oh yes! Because NY is quite the utopia.

What isn't better about TX than NY? With the way people think up there, you couldn't pay me to live in NY.

NYC is cool and all, but I'd much rather live in Houston.

i heard you guys have flying roaches. not just roaches. flying. god damn. roaches.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:09 AM

295 posts, read 359,035 times
The ad was wise to not mention the Chinese food.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
i heard you guys have flying roaches. not just roaches. flying. god damn. roaches.
Yea...they've got some nasty stuff down there in the muggier parts of that state.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...they've got some nasty stuff down there in the muggier parts of that state.
And y'all in Arizona have scorpions! There's one saving grace for the DC area: the worst things we have are the occasional spider and those annoying stink bugs.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM

437 posts, read 925,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaMyerson View Post
I was referring to the quality of education and the amount of educated people. Discussing unions is just diverting the facts about the quality of education in Texas and NY.

It's just based on the fact that Texas consistently performs below average and New York consistently performs above average (near the top). Texas has a lot going for them, but being one of the most poorly educated states is not one of them.

This may not be an entirely fair comparison. Texas has a duty to educate many illegal immigrants, many of whom do not even speak English when they enter the school system. And becuase the Federal government won't allow the border states to regulate immigration, they will have to continue to provide healthcare and education to these folks. It's no secret that there is a direct correlation between standardized test scores and the demographics (ie, socioeconomic status) of those being tested. If you compare the "apples to the apples" and the "oranges to the oranges" in each state, I bet we'd find that there's not much difference.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:55 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
You may want to tune it down a little about poor education in Texas, I can see quite a few of you on the anti gun sides who don't even understand basic statistics or math while keep pulling up junk science trying to prove your points.

Laughable isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies