Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,587,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Nah... We just don't take kindly to idiots who have no clue what they are talking about.

That's all.
Yet we keep voting Perry into office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,224,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...Houston compared to NYC? Really? Man, that's not even fair. I mean, that's like taking candy from an infant.

Houston is well...like Dallas, a cultural wasteland. Sprawled out with millions of the same houses with 5 different floorplans. That's not even a city. Fine dining in Houston is Outback Steak House.

New York City? Really...to even sit here and describe it as if it needs describing is a waste of time. I don't even need to talk about the five boroughs. About 5 square blocks of Manhattan has more happening in one night than Houston has in a decade.

Please...chill with the lame comparisons. If you wanna compare Houston to another city, try Kansas City, Atlanta, or Birmingham...something like that. But don't try to take on real cities. Ok?

at least they have floorplans for their homes. instead of like nyc which has a suare room for their entire home.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 AM

6,456 posts, read 7,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
Who in the right mind would want to move from New York to Texas ?
You'd be surprised. My fiance and I have actually thought about it. Honestly ALOT of people 30 and under are leaving NYS for the past few years due to the high taxes. And living in NYC is cool and all, but in the long term scheme of things--it is VERY expensive. The cost of a large house in Texas would get you a 1 bedroom Condo anywhere in the 5 boroughs. We search for homes all the time, and most places are in the 300-400k range for a decent neighborhood, conveinet location, good schools etc. Plus you need roughly about 20+% down even with "good credit."

Old 01-18-2013, 06:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,224,631 times
big difference mint, NY wants its citizens to have government paid for health care and texas wants it citizens to have their own choice of health care.

if given the choice of those 2 health care plans, I sure as hell would not want the feds to decide what I can cannot have for health care services.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,005,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why would a New Yorker leave to move to Texas? For what exactly? What would they be going to?

Especially if you're talking about New York City....but i wouldn't leave New York state either to move down there.
I was born and raised in NY, my entire family lives there, but I would never move back there. The weather is only part of the reason. The liberal morons downstate are the main reason.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,731,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Personally I think it would be amusing to see a mass exodus of NYers to Texas. But where would the Texans go then?

The 2007-2008 crash, didn't even effect my area around Austin. There has and is still a big boom here, with people moving here from all over.

We absorb them and grow. We are not restricted, so absorption doesn't take years. Only months, if not weeks.

Build it and they will come......

Get this. Our State Legislature only meets every 2 years and then only for a 1/4 of the first part of that year.
Not much time to mess things up and place restrictions on our freedoms and liberties.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 AM

Yea, Texans want to ban healthcare. Seriously? When will you liberals stop with the BS. All you need to do is look at fiscally responsible Texas versus circling the drain New York to see which plan will work best.

Texans expect folks to take care of themselves, and get government out of the way.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaMyerson View Post
Texas is not an ideal place for New Yorkers. People are not going to move from one of the best educated states to one of the lowest educated states freely. People in the northeast put a lot of emphasis on education. Their mindset won't mesh well in a state like Texas where education is not a priority.
No they don't. They put a big emphasis on keeping the teacher's union machine rolling along.

Again, the ignorance about Texas is astounding. Texans don't think education is a priority. Right....

Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM

65 posts, read 73,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No they don't. They put a big emphasis on keeping the teacher's union machine rolling along.

Again, the ignorance about Texas is astounding. Texans don't think education is a priority. Right....
I was referring to the quality of education and the amount of educated people. Discussing unions is just diverting the facts about the quality of education in Texas and NY.

It's just based on the fact that Texas consistently performs below average and New York consistently performs above average (near the top). Texas has a lot going for them, but being one of the most poorly educated states is not one of them.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times
Yea, you can't deny the fact that New York is one of the best when it comes to education while Texas is not so good.

State Education Rankings: The Best And Worst For Math And Science

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nal_attainment

Texas is just not in the same league. This would be of concern to New Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies