Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 07:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
PREACH IT.

Hell, I can't even add anything else to this post - and that's saying something.

Really. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I will agree about a lot of Texas drivers and I even agree about the Cowboys and their fans.. I have no use for them. That said, all in all, I am very happy and content in Texas. It's not for everyone and I would never encourage someone to come down here and expect the same life style that they are coming from regardless of where that might be. We have our problems, but then, name me a state that doesn't. For the most part, our winters are mild by comparison to most, our laws are decent and most of the people here are friendly. I travel throughout the US to include Az. In fact I like Az. but, I wouldn't want to live there.. Especially not in Phoenix, but that's a matter of taste. I will stay here in Texas and if anyone wants to come, welcome to my home, but please don't try and turn it into where you left.
You're paranoid my friend. Most people that move to Texas undoubtedly become unabashed Texans. That's why they move there.

Why are Southerners the only people with THIS LEVEL of paranoia? No one wants to change you or change where you live!

Maybe its the residual inferiority complex from losing the war and the civil rights struggle. During Jim Crow, anytime someone suggested that it wad bad and needed to be done away with, you heard the same things..."stop trying to change us and our way of life."

50 years have gone by, and the south is no longer full-on racist and has become prosperous, and yet, you still hear the same battle cry. Unreal.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM

If you would do some reading it is not only people in the South that say such things. I have heard it in New England and the Pacific Northwest as well. They tell you to visit but go back home.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're paranoid my friend. Most people that move to Texas undoubtedly become unabashed Texans. That's why they move there.

Why are Southerners the only people with THIS LEVEL of paranoia? No one wants to change you or change where you live!

Maybe its the residual inferiority complex from losing the war and the civil rights struggle. During Jim Crow, anytime someone suggested that it wad bad and needed to be done away with, you heard the same things..."stop trying to change us and our way of life."

50 years have gone by, and the south is no longer full-on racist and has become prosperous, and yet, you still hear the same battle cry. Unreal.
Have you ever been to Northern New Mexico? A lot of people from California have moved there and have changed the whole personality of the region. They have destroyed the culture of the area...The same can be said for other states as well.. It has nothing to do with the civil war or civil rights... Get over it...

Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,477,620 times
Stupid Obama loving idiots believe a spoon is to blame for Michelle having a fat ass and being overweight.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
If you would do some reading it is not only people in the South that say such things. I have heard it in New England and the Pacific Northwest as well. They tell you to visit but go back home.
New York is very welcoming to everyone. It has it's pros and cons. The pro being that anyone can settle there and no one's going to complain. The con being that anyone can settle there.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
New York is very welcoming to everyone. It has it's pros and cons. The pro being that anyone can settle there and no one's going to complain. The con being that anyone can settle there.

I didn't say anything about New York. I am talking further North. Vermont, Maine, New England.

Last edited by Scotty011; 01-18-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Have you ever been to Northern New Mexico? A lot of people from California have moved there and have changed the whole personality of the region. They have destroyed the culture of the area...The same can be said for other states as well.. It has nothing to do with the civil war or civil rights... Get over it...
Yea...it does have to do with the vestiges of the civil war and civil rights era.

Californians have not screwed up northern New Mexico. Northern N.M. looks just like it did 40 years ago, its just a lot wealthier due to the influx. States cannot pick their citizens in America. Americans choose their states, and have every right to remain the people they are. Northern N.M. has a rich Spanish history, combined with a native American one.

Well, we aren't importing Spaniards nowadays, and Indian tribes aren't getting bigger. So what is N.M. supposed to do to keep the region viable? Turn investors away from a state that's already poor because of some stupid ass prejudice against Californians? Negative, and your assertions about Californians are baseless! How are Californians so bad and Texans so virtuous? That's bull. You have the same cross section of jerks down there. Maybe more!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...it does have to do with the vestiges of the civil war and civil rights era.

Californians have not screwed up northern New Mexico. Northern N.M. looks just like it did 40 years ago, its just a lot wealthier due to the influx. States cannot pick their citizens in America. Americans choose their states, and have every right to remain the people they are. Northern N.M. has a rich Spanish history, combined with a native American one.

Well, we aren't importing Spaniards nowadays, and Indian tribes aren't getting bigger. So what is N.M. supposed to do to keep the region viable? Turn investors away from a state that's already poor because of some stupid ass prejudice against Californians? Negative, and your assertions about Californians are baseless! How are Californians so bad and Texans so virtuous? That's bull. You have the same cross section of jerks down there. Maybe more!
You don't get it.. I have no axe to grind with Californians.. I have lived there too years ago and I have worked there recently... It's a beautiful state. To say that people from California by and large don't have a different attitude than the people of Texas is naive. People in all different areas have different attitudes. California attitudes don't exactly jive with the attitudes of the people in general of Texas. All I am saying is that when you move to a new area, regardless of where it is, you should try to assimilate into the area you move to. I wonder how long it has been since you've been to Santa Fe. It's changed and not just grown, but the personality has changed. While I will agree that there has been an influx of capital in the area, there has also been a significant change in the attitudes and culture of the city. It's not the same place anymore.. As for the civil war and civil rights arguement, as far as I am concerned you are over dramatizing for whatever reason... It doesn't exist..

Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,295,442 times
New Yorkers to Texans, HELL NO!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies