Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't know about people moving to Texas...but a lot of younger people have been fleeing NY for quite some time...

New Yorkers under 30 plan to flee city, says new poll; cite high taxes, few jobs as reasons - NY Daily News
People are constantly fleeing EVERYWHERE. There is no area of the country where folks don't wanna flee from.

Yes, people leave New York, but tens of thousands run TO New York City too. There is a reason why so many formerly dilapidated NYC neighborhoods are no longer cheap and falling apart. It's expensive for a reason..its HIGHLY desirable. If NYC and its Metro were half as expensive, no one would ever leave.

It's just like people droning on about Californians abandoning that state. It makes people that hate California (for no good reason) feel better. Of course, no one talks about how people keep flocking to California despite other's desire to leave. Again, there is a reason that California is expensive....HIGHLY desirable. If it were the dump that its haters claim that it is, it would be cheaper to live there.

Follow the dough...it always tells the real story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And quite diverse, thank you very much. What group isn't well represented in Phoenix?
Phoenix is a white/mexican city. There are few blacks there or asians. Houston has a lot more blacks and a significant asian community.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Phoenix is a white/mexican city. There are few blacks there or asians. Houston has a lot more blacks and a significant asian community.
Lol....c'mon. A white and Mexican city? 7% of Phoenix is black, and more than 3% is Asian. Moreover, we have large Indian reservations bordering the south and east sides of the city.

I think Phoenix is very diverse. Now when we first moved here in the late 60's, it definitely wasn't. Phoenix was sleepy back then, and few opportunities existed even for the natives. But as the economy has grown, a lot more blacks and Asians have made the Valley their home.

But I do agree that the diversity here isn't at Houston levels. However, Houston is a part of the south, so naturally its gonna have more blacks like most southern cities do.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:21 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quit coming to Austin!

Our roadways are not wide enough for all the traffic that has exploded in the last 20 years and our city council would rather spend the cash on artsy stuff for beautification.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Lol....c'mon. A white and Mexican city? 7% of Phoenix is black, and more than 3% is Asian. Moreover, we have large Indian reservations bordering the south and east sides of the city.

I think Phoenix is very diverse. Now when we first moved here in the late 60's, it definitely wasn't. Phoenix was sleepy back then, and few opportunities existed even for the natives. But as the economy has grown, a lot more blacks and Asians have made the Valley their home.

But I do agree that the diversity here isn't at Houston levels. However, Houston is a part of the south, so naturally its gonna have more blacks like most southern cities do.
If you're ever in Houston, hit me up and I'll show you properly around. You'll leave fatter and happier. The person who did it the first time royally messed up if you thought our good food was outback

Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
If you're ever in Houston, hit me up and I'll show you properly around. You'll leave fatter and happier. The person who did it the first time royally messed up if you thought our good food was outback
Oh...I'll be the first to admit that I've always eaten good in the H. The eastern half of Texas has very good food. No doubt. When said Outback, I was being facetious.

Still though, i will argue you down about yall having better vittles than NOLA! No, no, no...I'll never believe that. Now i know that NOLA specializes in cajun/creole, but that's enough. That stuff is so good that you really don't want anything else.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Oh...I'll be the first to admit that I've always eaten good in the H. The eastern half of Texas has very good food. No doubt. When said Outback, I was being facetious.

Still though, i will argue you down about yall having better vittles than NOLA! No, no, no...I'll never believe that. Now i know that NOLA specializes in cajun/creole, but that's enough. That stuff is so good that you really don't want anything else.
Don't get me wrong, I love the food out in NOLA but you have to understand the houston experience when I can:

Eat Korean BBQ tacos/burritos from a stand out by Rice University
Eat the most delicious Mexican food, Mazatlan style at 4am drinking a Corona hearing drunk ass Mexicans doing keryokee completely not caring about US late call laws
Can go to and eat at an Indian restaurant chain headquartered out of Mumbai and there only other spots out of India are dubai and houston
Or I can be eating great bbq from this hole in the wall place out in north houston
Eat sushi where you taste the whole goddamn ocean with every bite!
Or seafood kebabs with the most authentic hummus I had since I was in the region
Have 10$ lobsters done in Cajun spices
Have chicken's feet and what you're almost damn sure is the back alley dog, but it's still so good at this shady chinese place that keeps trying to get you to buy a foot massage

And that's scratching the surface. I used to make fun of fat Texans, now I'm trying to avoid becoming one

Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,926 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I love the food out in NOLA but you have to understand the houston experience when I can:

Eat Korean BBQ tacos/burritos from a stand out by Rice University
Eat the most delicious Mexican food, Mazatlan style at 4am drinking a Corona hearing drunk ass Mexicans doing keryokee completely not caring about US late call laws
Can go to and eat at an Indian restaurant chain headquartered out of Mumbai and there only other spots out of India are dubai and houston
Or I can be eating great bbq from this hole in the wall place out in north houston
Eat sushi where you taste the whole goddamn ocean with every bite!
Or seafood kebabs with the most authentic hummus I had since I was in the region
Have 10$ lobsters done in Cajun spices
Have chicken's feet and what you're almost damn sure is the back alley dog, but it's still so good at this shady chinese place that keeps trying to get you to buy a foot massage

And that's scratching the surface. I used to make fun of fat Texans, now I'm trying to avoid becoming one
Sounds great I have the same experience in Atlanta.

But dude do you have to put your entire address in "location" ?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Sounds great I have the same experience in Atlanta.

But dude do you have to put your entire address in "location" ?
Why does this make people uncomfortable? I constantly get PMs in regards to this. My full name and picture is in my profile. I believe civil debate is destroyed through anonymity. A lot of people on the internet like to pretend they're something they're not or like to insult. In real life, I almost never get insulted (to my face) here it's a daily occurrence.

Anyways, I lived in Atlanta. In the lindbergh center neighborhood. I didn't have such a good experience with food in Atlanta. I didn't have a car so I was forced to eat at places about 1-2 miles near a MARTA station But still.... My favorite place was this bar down in college park or something like that (near the airport). They had great burgers and cheap drinks. The fat waitress there loved me and invited me for swingers night which I had to refuse

Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,410,261 times
Quote:
Why does this make people uncomfortable? I constantly get PMs in regards to this. My full name and picture is in my profile. I believe civil debate is destroyed through anonymity. A lot of people on the internet like to pretend they're something they're not or like to insult. In real life, I almost never get insulted (to my face) here it's a daily occurrence.

Anyways, I lived in Atlanta. In the lindbergh center neighborhood. I didn't have such a good experience with food in Atlanta. I didn't have a car so I was forced to eat at places about 1-2 miles near a MARTA station But still.... My favorite place was this bar down in college park or something like that (near the airport). They had great burgers and cheap drinks. The fat waitress there loved me and invited me for swingers night which I had to refuse
Your openness is refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies