Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:42 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Why does this make people uncomfortable? I constantly get PMs in regards to this. My full name and picture is in my profile. I believe civil debate is destroyed through anonymity. A lot of people on the internet like to pretend they're something they're not or like to insult. In real life, I almost never get insulted (to my face) here it's a daily occurrence.

Anyways, I lived in Atlanta. In the lindbergh center neighborhood. I didn't have such a good experience with food in Atlanta. I didn't have a car so I was forced to eat at places about 1-2 miles near a MARTA station But still.... My favorite place was this bar down in college park or something like that (near the airport). They had great burgers and cheap drinks. The fat waitress there loved me and invited me for swingers night which I had to refuse
Tons of options in (metro) Atlanta...Buford Highway is amazing, theres Duluth which has a sizeable Korean population and the the suburbs are littered with indian restaurants (over 100)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Quit coming to Austin!

Our roadways are not wide enough for all the traffic that has exploded in the last 20 years and our city council would rather spend the cash on artsy stuff for beautification.
Yeah...Austin traffic is brutal at rush hour. The population DEFINITELY grew much faster than the highways did.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
When you posted "no one" wants to move from NY to TX and I know of some, then anecdotal evidence refutes your "no one".
Here, maybe this will help you understand why your anecdotal evidence does not refute my statement at all:

Generally | Define Generally at Dictionary.com

You should also consider looking up the phrase "generally speaking".

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the food out in NOLA but you have to understand the houston experience when I can:

Eat Korean BBQ tacos/burritos from a stand out by Rice University
Eat the most delicious Mexican food, Mazatlan style at 4am drinking a Corona hearing drunk ass Mexicans doing keryokee completely not caring about US late call laws
Can go to and eat at an Indian restaurant chain headquartered out of Mumbai and there only other spots out of India are dubai and houston
Or I can be eating great bbq from this hole in the wall place out in north houston
Eat sushi where you taste the whole goddamn ocean with every bite!
Or seafood kebabs with the most authentic hummus I had since I was in the region
Have 10$ lobsters done in Cajun spices
Have chicken's feet and what you're almost damn sure is the back alley dog, but it's still so good at this shady chinese place that keeps trying to get you to buy a foot massage

And that's scratching the surface. I used to make fun of fat Texans, now I'm trying to avoid becoming one
All that is also available in NY. It's all available in NYC if you wanted to focus on one city. I'm in NJ, and I can get all of that as well.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane4madonna View Post
Who in the right mind would want to move from New York to Texas ?
Maybe someone who would like a larger space to live than their dirty old rat infested mop closest for $1,000 a month & a place to stretch their income a lot farther. You could buy a nice home in the suburbs or rent an upscale loft or townhome in the city for that much a month in Texas.

New York = Nicer place to visit

Texas = Nicer place to live

Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
I like to live, where I can go out on the front lawn and take a **** and not worry about the neighbors seeing me.

You can sell your NYC apartment and buy 3 of those spreads. Green Acres is the place to be.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe someone who would like a larger space to live than their dirty old rat infested mop closest for $1,000 a month & a place to stretch their income a lot farther. You could buy a nice home in the suburbs or rent an upscale loft or townhome in the city for that much a month in Texas.

New York is not as expensive as you think. For $1000/month you could rent a 4 bedroom single family home and there wouldn't be any rats near it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,883 times
Quote:

Outside of Manhattan, the prices are not that bad, and NY has much better weather, and of course, fantastic things to do.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:49 PM

510 posts, read 888,839 times
Texas should be careful with this. Just inviting an exodus based on wanting to own certain firearms and not looking at other factors could end up worse than inviting no one at all. I mean, you get a pre-gun ban minded New Yorker that you would want to assimilate into Texas ways and not change it in the direction of New York. They may like guns; but could be major friction on death penalty, private property rights, animal laws, religion, educations, etc.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,232 times
Quote:

LOL! I used to live in Texas.
Baby, you can keep it.
There's more in life than suburbia and Wal-Mart: Dallas and Houston are just two giant, ugly residential suburbs, nothing comparable to the amazing architecture and public spaces of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies