Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
With Texas calling New Yorkers and Glenn Beck calling for people to move to Texas.......is Texas ready for the flow of people, is Texas lacking in people?

I have to say some of the friendliest people that post on C-D do happen to be from Texas
No, we already have too many and are projected to grow quite rapidly. Infrastructure and water can't keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Houston doesn't get that hot? LMAO...whatever you say. It's one of the stickiest and humid places on the planet come summer. Please.
You are confusing "hot" with "humid". Houston temperatures are quite mild. Average July highs are 92 which is about 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Abbott is a bigoted azzhole. He'll say ANYTHING to get his name in the paper to prepare his eventual run for Governor of Texas. Texas doesn't need any more transplants. We're up to our eyeballs with people from other states.

After what Ted Cruz did to the chosen one, David Dewhurst, anything is possible.

I see a strong Ron Paul type, taking the top seat from Perry.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
After what Ted Cruz did to the chosen one, David Dewhurst, anything is possible.

I see a strong Ron Paul type, taking the top seat from Perry.
I sure hope that you're right about that. Perry has been an embarrassment to Texas. Abbott has sensationalized previous obscure cases involving a transgender couple who had won a case that determined that they were legally married in Texas and a lesbian couple attempting to divorce in Texas when they were legally married in another state. Upon hearing about those poor people, Abbott just couldn't leave well enough alone. He had to use state resources to go after those people so that they couldn't enjoy the same liberties as any other citizen of this country or state, grabbing headlines in the state papers to appeal to the religious bigot vote.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Shows how much you know about the state of Texas... Houston and the coastal region don't get that hot and the majority of the state has very low humidity.
I've been to Six Flags in Dallas during the summer and no, the humidity sure as hell isn't very low. Truly, one has to go way out to western Texas, like El Paso and maybe Lubbock, to really get away from summer time humidity.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I've lived in Texas, not somewhere I'd willingly live again.
Judging by your screen name, no wonder. I wouldn't want to live where it's rainy for days at a time.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You are confusing "hot" with "humid". Houston temperatures are quite mild. Average July highs are 92 which is about 15 degrees cooler than Phoenix.
Mild compared to Phoenix and mild compared to the rest of the nation are 2 completely different things.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
But yeah, you kind of prove my point. Unless you enjoy sitting around all day on your front porch eating BBQ, the cost of living is directly related to quality of life. I could enjoy your life for about a weekend.
I don't sit around eating bar-b-q... LOL Right now since it's fairly new home to me that needed a renovation I spend most of my time renovating. We're just finishing up on 1200 ft. garage and once that's done I'll move onto converting the old garage to a master bedroom, from there it's the deck out back and last but not least full renovation of the basement which is about 4X the size of of the apartments in NYC. I don't know about you but creating something from nothing is quite satisfying.

There is plenty of stuff to do around here, for example we built a fire outside this afternoon and the nieces and nephews went sleigh riding down the hill in my backyard. Next week? Who knows? Perhaps I'll help them build those bird houses they have been bothering me about making.

I understand this may not sound fun or exciting to you but that's your opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Your way of life may be what you enjoy and that's great but don't go knocking my way of life.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Houston at 90 degrees is oppressive compared to Phoenix or Tucson at 110. Not even comparable. Moreover, mosquitoes In Houston will be eating you alive and nearly carrying off your carcass...in Phoenix, I could sit outside at night unmolested.

Big difference between very hot dry heat and mildly hot humid heat. Houston doesn't need to reach 100 to be unbearable. 90 will kill you just the same. Hell, you can cut 85 with a knife down there.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Houston at 90 degrees is oppressive compared to Phoenix or Tucson at 110. Not even comparable. Moreover, mosquitoes In Houston will be eating you alive and nearly carrying off your carcass...in Phoenix, I could sit outside at night unmolested.

Big difference between very hot dry heat and mildly hot humid heat. Houston doesn't need to reach 100 to be unbearable. 90 will kill you just the same. Hell, you can cut 85 with a knife down there.
Ok...but Houston is one of America's largest and most diverse cities while Phoenix is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies