Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 07:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

Is gay sex a reality? If it is, it should be taught. How will adolescents understand what it is that is happening around them, if they aren't made to understand the differences between and among human sexual behavior.

What if someone did come onto them, and they were ignorant of same sex behavior, and they didn't understand what was happening. Wouldn't it be better for them to understand and make an informed decision.

It comes to choices again.

I knew about sexual behavior because I was a City kid that learned in the streets; I raised 3 children in the City, and chose to teach them what was up instead of waiting for them to get caught un-prepared.

And kids are curious. My 3 year old grand-daughter asks questions about her body, other people's bodies, and that is the beginning of sexual recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 07:45 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
The OPs article says, "graphic advice and language" not graphics as in pictures.

But, going out on a limb again: I was the director of an adolescent prevention program for more than 5 years. The most graphic material we ever saw came from the adolescents. One was so direct (and had hand drawings) we wouldn't fund it, but it was funded by a foundation. All the teens and yes, pre-teens, loved it. They said, "it's real."

So, all of us can say whatever we want about wrong, right, bad, good--the boy quoted didn't seem to sound negatively affected.

The more we deny human sexuality in this country, the more deviant sexual practices become. Closets are for clothes, not human nature.

I totally dissagree with that statement. The more everyone brings their sex acts out in public the more deviant sexual practices become. Some behavior would not even be thought of unless someone was exposed to them.

We do not need to be exposed to every quirk in "human nature" and the very people who scream stay out of my bedroon are the very ones that expose everyone including children to their bedroom activites.

The vast majority of your life is spent as an adult. Why can't adults respect children enough so that they have a few years of not worring about sex, STDs, AIDs, and pregancy before they are emotionally mature enough to deal with those risks?

Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM

I'll agree to disagree.

Keeping children children often makes for more problems, not less.

I'll stack my years working with young people on my own POV, and respect yours.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:51 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
While this sounds like an accident, I find it sad that kids this young were exposed to this.

Before you flame me, I know that kids are bombarded with drugs, sex and violence on a daily basis thru media outlets.
My parents monitored what we watched on TV..heck I couldn't even watch "Soap". I monitored my kids TV too. No perverts here.
I have to admit I did learn more in Sex Ed than from my parents so I would hate to see that abolished but I was in High School....not 10.
Whatever happened to letting kids be kids.
So Sex-Ed in school....morals should be taugh at home.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:57 PM

We are talking about our own children. There are many children, adolescents, with no parental controls, no mentor, no adult positive example.

Often programs are set up for the universal "adolescent" or the universal "other" -- and sex education is set up for just that purpose. For adolescents, pre-adolescents and children in general with strong family supports, children will undoubtedly learn by example and follow the moral code set in the home.

For those others, sex education in school is an imperative.

Weren't we talking about the over-use of abortion in another thread. How will those that are not educated understand all the other options available.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Having taught sex ed to middle school students from 2001 - 2006 and as a mother to two small boys, I can say that I would much rather my children learn the facts about sex, including prevention of STD's and pregnancy, than to have that education left up to their friends. If you think that children will just be children and that sex would not come up if all pamphlets or sex ed was removed, then you are seriously mistaken. I would suggest that you find a way to listen to what even the little innocent 6th graders are discussing. It will blow your mind. I had a list of questions from an 8th grade girl that I had to look up on urban dictionary (I don't suggest it, by the way!). Overall, what saddens me is that the level that we care about the children only extends as far as politics, religion and values. Why is it that we choose to turn a blind eye to reality and then to punish them for their "sin" instead of offering them the means to make an informed choice about preventing pregnancy and/or STD's? It seems to be an epidemic in this country that we would rather shake our heads in disapproval and shame in the aftermath than to contemplate prevention.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:22 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,347 times
It looks like many here are ignoring that fact that these pamphlets were handed out to children when they were so graphic in nature they were intended for ADULTS.

I have researched for 5 years what is going on in some schools and these "accidents" happen again and again. Why because they are not accidents and are an attempt to expose children to adult sexual material.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 PM

236 posts, read 442,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
Having taught sex ed to middle school students from 2001 - 2006 and as a mother to two small boys, I can say that I would much rather my children learn the facts about sex, including prevention of STD's and pregnancy, than to have that education left up to their friends. If you think that children will just be children and that sex would not come up if all pamphlets or sex ed was removed, then you are seriously mistaken. I would suggest that you find a way to listen to what even the little innocent 6th graders are discussing. It will blow your mind. I had a list of questions from an 8th grade girl that I had to look up on urban dictionary (I don't suggest it, by the way!). Overall, what saddens me is that the level that we care about the children only extends as far as politics, religion and values. Why is it that we choose to turn a blind eye to reality and then to punish them for their "sin" instead of offering them the means to make an informed choice about preventing pregnancy and/or STD's? It seems to be an epidemic in this country that we would rather shake our heads in disapproval and shame in the aftermath than to contemplate prevention.
I have 3 boys my youngest is almost 17. I know what these kids learn from each other. My ex-husband and I always talked to our boys about sex. That is why they are very responsible. They all took sex ed in school. I don't think any of us have a problem with sex education being taught in school it is about the literature that is involved. I remember when I took sex education. They talked about what girls go through each month, puberty for boys, abstinence, and STD's. All of this was in regards to sex between a man and woman. At no time did they talk about the different types off sex(oral and anal) or gay sex. These will eventually be things that they encounter as they mature. Kids need to know the basics then it is either up to the parents or up to themselves to learn the rest. Do you really believe children need to be taught at 10,11,12 years old about the different types of sex acts??

Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 PM

We've crossed swords on this subject before.

I see it differently: While I do believe that there is more emphasis on sexual education, an emphasis on contraception, and sexual orientation studies, I do not believe it is propagandist or an attempt to expose children to adult sexual material.

Rather I see it as an attempt by the educational and social science community to make inroads in several social ills. Several of those ills we've all discussed on this board; some haven't even' been touched upon.

I can only see a benefit to education, and that includes understanding human sexual behavior.

Where I agree with your contention is that this information should always be offered sensitively and age-specific.

An error obviously occurred in this Westchester community, but if you read one of my posts above, NYS is experiencing a serious shortage of funding. The NYS Health Department lost a significant amount of federal funding; that funding has a direct effect on the counties as trickle down funding. This is a serious and troublesome problem.

When I retired, my position was frozen. This means one less adolescent advocate and health administrator in the City of New York.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
I have 3 boys my youngest is almost 17. I know what these kids learn from each other. My ex-husband and I always talked to our boys about sex. That is why they are very responsible. They all took sex ed in school. I don't think any of us have a problem with sex education being taught in school it is about the literature that is involved. I remember when I took sex education. They talked about what girls go through each month, puberty for boys, abstinence, and STD's. All of this was in regards to sex between a man and woman. At no time did they talk about the different types off sex(oral and anal) or gay sex. These will eventually be things that they encounter as they mature. Kids need to know the basics then it is either up to the parents or up to themselves to learn the rest. Do you really believe children need to be taught at 10,11,12 years old about the different types of sex acts??
Unfortunately since oral and anal sex is happening under the bleachers, in the restrooms, and on the bus - yes I think it is necessary. Not ideal, but necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies