Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
... and so did the Confederacy, but some people just can't let it go.
LMAO....absolutely. We should forget that slavery existed, but its ok to commemorate the Confederacy....just don't talk about what the Confederacy was all about. No...that was 147 years ago...can't talk about that. But fly the Stars and Bars as high as you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I doubt he does. His kind aren't welcome in the south. Unless you were born and raised here the way southerners feel about the southland can not be explained to anyone....you would have to be born and raised down here.I love the south and will never leave it.
Bleh...the South ain't special. Just another region of the country with the same a-holes that every other region has.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
How constitutional was reconstruction of the south? Where the federal government replace the confederate states legislatures.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM

775 posts, read 740,891 times
Why is it that none of you southern apologists actually take the time to read the evidence I clearly present in the OP? Are you all really this willfully ignorant?

The southern leaders themselves proudly declared that they seceded over slavery, and this was their chief motive for starting the bloodiest war in American history. There is no dispute. The criminal confessed.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
You aren't telling me to get over it, are you? Do you have any idea which side is the one bitter over the civil war? Hint: not the winning side.
So... you're just gloating over a history lesson?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Myths of American Slavery: Walter Kennedy, Bob Harrison: 9781589800472: Amazon.com: Books

You all need to read this. They have other books as well. Read boys and girls read.
lets not even start the linking war because there are thousands on this subject.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM

775 posts, read 740,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So... you're just gloating over a history lesson?
...is your reading comprehension impaired?

I'll leave the answer for you to figure out. Anyone that can pass a 300 on the SAT critical reading section should have this down in spades.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So the southerners of the day had issues with the Yanks. Some things never change. But my mother's family was of tenant farmers... they had no slaves. And yeah, they picked cotton. Imagine that pretty little white girl...

I do believe, all of those contentious southerners of the 1800's are by now dead. Best I recall, my grandmother, born in 1888 died at 100 years of age. The rest is history.

Get over it.
Ok. Great suggestion.

But you forgot to mention that there can be no Confederate commemorations anymore and all symbols of the Confederacy must disappear too.

If slavery is to be forgotten, then so must the CSA and all traces of its former existence.

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dear friend please do not rewrite history.
americans have no problem with slavery as long as its not them.
1000's of child prostitutes are sold every night in the hood. korean shopkeepers are treated worse than any new orleans housekeeper of the 19th century in the hood. millions of americans exploit illegal mexicans paying them pennies on the dollar for their work. slavery is not dead.
no. lets get to the point of your post. civil war was about slavery??. a bold face falsehood. sure a point of tensions but the secession from the north as a matter of record is very clear. here are the steps. illegal tariffs filed against the south for cotton trade unconstitutional. first came the walk out. then the secession then armed resistance . only 1 year later did slavery enter as an issue.
u r entitled to all the white guilt u can harvest, but not your own facts.
The tariffs argument is mindless blabber meant to deflect away from slavery.

#1 Per the US Constitution, tariffs are not a state's right.

#2 Many northern states opposed tariffs as much as the south - in particular what was then the west...Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Why didn't they mention secession? Yet all of the slave states seceded or talked of it.

#3 Based on the members of congress with many northerners opposed to tariffs it was impossible to raise tariffs in 1861 unless southern states seceded. Tariffs were raised in 1861, by a narrow margin with 7 southern states arleady seceded and thus withdrawing 14 anti-tariff Senators that could have opposed the measure.

#4 South Carolina mentions tariffs ZERO times in the debates of secession and their delcaration -- while the entire argument revolves around blacks and slavery.

#5 The south supported tariffs....on their sugar, rice etc...once again the south is hypocritical.

#6 Bloody Kansas, John Brown, Denmark Vesey, the Fugitive Slave Act, Dred Scott Decision, Kansas-Nebraska Act...all of the big events of the time period had to with slavery. Show me examples of people killing over tariffs in the 1850s.

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
I am not ashamed of the south's past.I am very very proud of it. We fought the first war against terrorism. The south fought for its survival and even though the military lost our culture and heritage is still around and always will be.
wow, all kinds of stupidity in that post.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Some people really need to read a history book. Not every state that seceded did so over slavery, some did not secede until Lincoln tried to force them to send troops to fight their neighboring states:

Quote:
Four of the eleven Southern states did not join in the first wave of secession and did not secede over slavery. Those four states—Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia—only seceded months later when Lincoln made it clear he was going to launch an invasion in order to “save” the Union. In fact, those states initially voted against secession by fairly sizable majorities. However, they believed the Union should not be maintained by force. Therefore, when Lincoln announced he was calling up 75,000 troops to form an invasion force, they held new votes, and in each case the vote was strongly in favor of secession. Thus, four of the eleven states that comprised the Confederacy seceded because of their objection to federal coercion and not because of slavery.
Why Did the South Secede? | American Civil War
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies