Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,374,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Not to mention the effects of the price of gasoline on groceries and other staples, without the rise in income to compensate.
Still not inflation. Inflation is a general rise in prices.

I can explain why its going up in price if you like, its just that most people don't have a 15 second attention span these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post

I can explain why its going up in price if you like, its just that most people don't have a 15 second attention span these days.
As a somewhat poor person, to me gas prices (among) DO cause a general rise in prices!

Right now most of my money is going to Rent and Utilities, Food, and Tuition. I had to work more and more each year to support all of those.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:

In general prices are rising. Ask anyone filling up their tanks or going to the grocery store. Yes much of the reason is increased commodities due to the government flooding the markets with cash, but nobody cares for an economic argument over what you want to call it. They simply call it less money in their pockets because prices are going up.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
As a somewhat poor person, to me gas prices (among) DO cause a general rise in prices!

Right now most of my money is going to Rent and Utilities, Food, and Tuition. I had to work more and more each year to support all of those.
Doesn't really solve the problem to have visceral reaction.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
In general prices are rising. Ask anyone filling up their tanks or going to the grocery store. Yes much of the reason is increased commodities due to the government flooding the markets with cash, but nobody cares for an economic argument over what you want to call it. They simply call it less money in their pockets because prices are going up.
No you see they are not. Labor is NOT rising in price. Again how can we even have a debate when people make up their own terminology?

Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
No you see they are not. Labor is NOT rising in price. Again how can we even have a debate when people make up their own terminology?
To say that there is inflation is not making up terminology. To have stagflation you have to have inflation. If you want to make the case that it's even worse than just inflation, I won't disagree with you.

Yes, inflation with rising labor isn't as bad and that isn't what we have but to have stagflation as I said, you have to have inflation. So if your argument is that saying we have inflation isn't being specific in noting the entire problem, again I will agree but speaking in generalizations you are going to hear people at the grocery store complaining about inflation, not stagflation even if that is what is going on overall in economic terms.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:26 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
So there is shortage? Its too much money chasing too little capacity.

Postsecondary Teachers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Employment of postsecondary teachers is expected to grow by 17 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations. Growth is expected as enrollments at postsecondary institutions at all levels continue to rise.

You seem to be off topic now. Are you conceding that college tuition has seen inflation?

They have not gotten a raise in 4 years? Its surprising then then that you say that there is too much money chasing too few goods. .

I never said that quote. If you teach at my school - you have not received an increase in pay...with inflation happening our purchasing power is diminished. Another local school just got a 10% pay cut.

Well that is at lease one thing that might have a supply issue to it but we will not get into that .

Because of the car shortage? Too much money, not enough factory space and not enough auto workers. We just can't spare it?

Once again you are off topic. True or false, used car prices have inflated?

Why call it something it isn't? 100 slaves who cannot afford 1 of 1000 plates of lobster isn't inflation.

Stagflation

That is when wages relative to asset prices fall.

This isn't a recovery as Obama says. Since the recovery started according to Obama, US household incomes have dropped even further than beforehand... These new recovery jobs have 70% the total compensation of the jobs lost. People are losing their ability to purchase.
My comments in red. With inflation and households losing income, people have lost purchasing power.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,746,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I'm not surprised. Nothing has 'trickled down' to middle class in the past 15 years .
So money can't trickle down from a growing economy, but it can trickle down from taxing the "wealthy"?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Went out for dinner last night, at 7:30. We hit 5 places ( local Mexican, Red Robbin, independent family restaurant, TGIF and Chilies). It was SRO and more than an hours wait. We ended up with take out from the Taco Bell drive -thru. Oh yeah, there was a line 12 cars deep to order.

Went to Costco this morning. I could not find a parking space, got bored with stalking and returned home. I'll try again, later.

Kohls ate JCP for lunch, years ago.

I used to love Barnes and Noble. Not I just Amazon.

Government has no control over gas prices. It's all about commodity index specualtion.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:48 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,522,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Went out for dinner last night, at 7:30. We hit 5 places ( local Mexican, Red Robbin, independent family restaurant, TGIF and Chilies). It was SRO and more than an hours wait. We ended up with take out from the Taco Bell drive -thru. Oh yeah, there was a line 12 cars deep to order.

Went to Costco this morning. I could not find a parking space, got bored with stalking and returned home. I'll try again, later.

Kohls ate JCP for lunch, years ago.

I used to love Barnes and Noble. Not I just Amazon.

Government has no control over gas prices. It's all about commodity index specualtion.
That's amazing. Around here, if you went out at 7:30 on a Sat night, chances are you won't have to wait at all, unless you went to one of those trendy places in Buckhead - there, you *might* have a 45-min wait, tops.

As for there being no parking spaces at Costco, that would never happen here...lol. They can get "busy" on the weekends, but by Atlanta standards, that means the parking lot is maybe 50-60% full and they have most of the checker lines open. I've yet to encounter a situation where the parking lot was too full, that's for sure.

It's been like this since I moved here in 2005, however, so I guess this is just par for the course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies