Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Already stated it, but you apparently missed that... the CORRECT (not just "politically" but scientifically) term is intellectually disabled.
I defined retarded above as "slow or limited in intellectual development" - which is exactly what "intellectually disabled" means - so how is ID not a politically correct term if retarded clearly is considered to be politically incorrect?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:24 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,288,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
'Gradual evolution of a word's definition'?

Please explain how the word gay 'gradually evolved' from meaning 'happy, carefree' to 'homosexual'?

Did it pass through other meanings on the way?

I do remember (many years ago) my neighbour telling me: "I'm Gay" and me saying (in a somewhat puzzled tone) : "I know you're, Gay. I've known you for years" and she then saying, "No, what I mean is that I'm gay Gay" and then - when she explained what she was on about - both laughing about it.

If you - or anybody else - wish to allocate a new meaning to any word, then go ahead and do so. But if you do that, don't complain if somebody else comes along and allocates yet another meaning to the word.
Hijack inherently implies violence. Because that's what the gays have done, violently take a word in a language where a ridiculous portion of vocabulary is comprised of homonyms and try to rob your of your ability to use it. Because no one sings Deck the Halls anymore...

Old 03-09-2013, 03:28 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I defined retarded above as "slow or limited in intellectual development" - which is exactly what "intellectually disabled" means - so how is ID not a politically correct term if retarded clearly is considered to be politically incorrect?
For the last time, you will have to ask THEM why it is offensive... probably because some jerks hijacked the word, and started using it only as an insult. Do you understand how slurs become slurs? Study some history of etymology, for starters, and maybe you'll learn how words evolve over time.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Hijack inherently implies violence. Because that's what the gays have done, violently take a word in a language where a ridiculous portion of vocabulary is comprised of homonyms and try to rob your of your ability to use it. Because no one sings Deck the Halls anymore...
Ah yes, those violent gay terrorists I keep hearing about - LOL.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post

... As much as the gay community wants everyone to believe that being gay is normal (it would probably be better if they emphasized the word "natural" instead), the fact that only an estimated 3% of the population is gay means that being gay is always going to be a variation from the norm.
I think you are very mistaken.

Gay people never claimed gayness is the "norm" anymore than Jewish people claimed being Jewish is the "norm." All along advocates for LGBT rights have been arguing that is is a natural variation of human sexual orientation.

It is not "normal" to have blue eyes, be left-handed, stand over 6'2", have an IQ over 140 either.

The "norm" is a mathematical concept. It is the "norm" for Americans to speak English as their first language, although there is a significant number of Americans whose primary language is another language such as Spanish.

You are also mistaken concerning the actual number of gay, lesbian, bisexual people (wishful thinking on your part?) ... numerous studies and statistical research over the last 75 years, starting with the Institute of Sex Research at the University of Indiana under the direction of Dr. Alfred Kinsey, but continuing on under other scientists and researchers are not in agreement because a sizable number of LGBT people will not openly come out and identify themselves especially if they live in conservative areas, or family reasons, if they are in a non-gay relationship, etc. Often overlooked is the number of Bisexual people. Looking at the entire body of research on sexual orientation, it is safe to assume about 5% - 7% of the entire population is a part of the LGBT community.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
JUST? Nope, you are incorrect... it has multiple meanings, and you already know that. I hate when you play this passive-aggressive "I don't knooooow any better" game!

Oh, lookie here - the definition of "homosexual" is actually the FIRST definition according to Random House. The definition of "joyful" doesn't even come in until #3, so you are even more wrong than I realized.

gay [gey]
adjective, gay·er, gay·est.
1. of, pertaining to, or exhibiting sexual desire or behavior directed toward a person or persons of one's own sex; homosexual: a gay couple.
2. of, indicating, or supporting homosexual interests or issues: a gay organization.
3. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music. Synonyms: cheerful, gleeful, happy, glad, cheery, lighthearted, joyous, joyful, jovial; sunny, lively, vivacious, sparkling; chipper, playful, jaunty, sprightly, blithe. Antonyms: serious, grave, solemn, joyless; staid, sedate; unhappy, morose, grim; sad, depressed, melancholy.
4. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments. Synonyms: colorful, brilliant, vivid, intense, lustrous; glittering, theatrical, flamboyant. Antonyms: dull, drab, somber, lackluster; conservative.
5. Slang: Often Disparaging and Offensive. awkward, stupid, or bad; lame: This game is really gay.
My Webster's dictionary has homosexual as the fourth definition.

gay\adj 1: happily excited: MERRY <in a gay mood> 2 a : BRIGHT, LIVELY <a gay sunny meadow> b: brilliant in color 3: given to social pleasures; also : tending to give in to sexual desires 4 : HOMOSEXUAL.

The homosexual community has co-opted the word in order to avoid the stigma associated with the word "homosexual" in an attempt to legitamize their lifestyle.

One can't even use the word "gay" in its original context anymore - so much damage has been done.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
Sadly "gay apparel" now has a different meaning.

It means that one has to dress in drag.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, those violent gay terrorists I keep hearing about - LOL.
There is a readon why I call them the gay army.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:46 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefreenow View Post
Reading this thread has made me feel quite gay.
Me too.

I feel as gay as a goose!

Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is a readon why I call them the gay army.
I can only think of one reason you'd call them that, but saying why would probably get me an infraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies