Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM

799 posts, read 1,097,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What about the OP??

Does no one care because of the neighborhood?
Basically, don't look to them for empathy, we all we got!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM

18,162 posts, read 15,680,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Does Bloomberg even know New York City has Burroughs other than Manhattan?
Good question. Unrest is predominantly black areas, following a police shooting, has come to be expected. Used to be, I was willing to shrug such things off, and assume the suspect shot probably had it coming. By buying into this street justice bit, I , blindly, jumped on board, fueled by my disgust with the "justice" system. Having seen so many cases of obvious guilt dismissed on technicalities, it was easy to do.

I understood the cops frustration, pulling thugs off the street, only to have them walk out of court, laughing, because some lawyer, provided at taxpayer expense, found a small error in procedure. Now, despite the fact I still have heartburn with the courts, I can't stomach the cops having carte blanche to treat the job like they are hunters killing chicken stealing varmints. Many of the suspects they deal with ARE varmints, but distinctions are blurred. Or blacked out, altogether.

Minority communities tend to react more strongly to this than,say, one like Manhattan, because the issue is in their face, right in the middle of their homes, rather than viewed on TV from a swank apartment 20 floors above the street. I am NOT defending the whole "they did this just because he was black" bit. I don't feel the problem is divided on color lines. Truth be known, there are just as many whites, Asians, Hispanics et al that get the same treatment, it's just not reported on with tbe same zeal. Community unrest is far less in these latter areas. Mores the pity.

We have a problem, and one we let get out of hand. We have been willing to sacrifice our freedoms, for the sake of feeling secure, and as a statement against the twisting of our Constitution. For that sake, we have allowed it to be twisted even further. (Sigh)

Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,339,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.The NYPD euphemistically calls the public spaces in which the Constitutional rights of the people are suspended “frozen zones.”Allison Kilkenny wrote about the NYPD’s so-called “frozen zones” in December 2011:“The ‘frozen zone’ is an arbitrary, official police business-sounding title that has absolutely zero legal merit. It’s something the NYPD made up, just as the ‘First Amendment zone’ is something [Los Angeles Mayor Antonio] Villaraigosa made up to suppress media coverage of the Occupy raids.”According to FIERCE, the “frozen zone” in East Flatbush is being used to prevent media from covering the protests and arrests. Meanwhile, people inside the “frozen zone” can be subjected to arrest merely by exercising their constitutional rights.“It basically means the area is under temporary martial law,” writes FIERCE. “The last times the NYPD declared a Frozen Zone was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and during the beginning of OWS.”An arbitrary dictate that arrests protest and free speech, set forth by the institution that is itself the target of the protests, creates a potentially dangerous precedent of placing the NYPD beyond reproach.Occupy Austin reposted this poignant summary of events by Jen Roesch as they were unfolding in Brooklyn last night:“East Flatbush, Brooklyn is under martial law as the NYPD declares it a ‘frozen zone’. Media are being monitored and kept from moving and reporting freely. Dozens of arrests and much brutality. Kimani was shot in the back seven times; a witness is sure he was unarmed; multiple reports are coming out that the police had been waging a campaign of harassment against the young man (including taunting him about a friend who had died in a car accident and threatening to shoot him when he tried to leave). This is just blocks from where Shantel Davis was shot, dragged from her car and left to bleed to death in the street last summer. After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos. Residents in the neighborhood live in a state of terror. Heartbreaking, enraging, the stuff that riots are made of. This city is at a breaking point.”Kimani Gray’s parents are scheduled to hold a press conference this evening to address the March 9 police slaying of their young son.

The NYPD Declares Martial Law in Brooklyn | Alternative

Gee...you'd think a sentinel event like establishing martial law (a state of affairs in which the military -not the police- administer law enforcement) and suspending The Constitution of The United States would get a mention in a newspaper or on TV or something. I'm watching my local NYC news channel right now and there's no mention of this.

You wouldn't be using a whackjob conspiracy-minded "news" source to peddle fertilzer, would you?

Old 03-16-2013, 12:38 PM

59,423 posts, read 27,577,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Gee...you'd think a sentinel event like establishing martial law (a state of affairs in which the military -not the police- administer law enforcement) and suspending The Constitution of The United States would get a mention in a newspaper or on TV or something. I'm watching my local NYC news channel right now and there's no mention of this.

You wouldn't be using a whackjob conspiracy-minded "news" source to peddle fertilzer, would you?
Something sounds awful fishy here.

I didn't know the Police dept. had the authority to declare martial-law.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,668,587 times
I haven't read that the National Guard has been called out to Brooklyn.
There's been no Martial Law declared.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM

267 posts, read 203,395 times
Quote:
On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.
Read the article, next time.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:44 PM

11,581 posts, read 13,979,014 times
Hooray for dead gang bangers.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,008,936 times
Another local issue that the rest of the country doesn't need to hear about. Got enough on our plate already.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 PM

11,581 posts, read 13,979,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Another local issue that the rest of the country doesn't need to hear about. Got enough on our plate already.
Yep. Gangsters are killed daily in places like Chicago but that's no big deal. It's only an issue when said gangsters are killed by the cops. Then it's news.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 PM

799 posts, read 1,097,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Basically we don't need to worry about blacks in Amerikkka, so much for the "one nation" gig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies