Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
From your own article.

Tishana King is the only civilian eyewitness to come forward, and her account sharply differs from Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly’s assertion that Gray had pointed a .38-caliber revolver at the cops before they opened fire. “I’m certain he didn’t have anything in his hands,” King told the Daily News.

Read more: Brooklyn riot over teen's death: 16-year-old shot by cops did not have a gun, says witness - NY Daily News

And your 2nd link does nothing to help your case.

Do you have any actual evidence?
Did you read the whole article?

'“I couldn’t see what the kids were doing,' she said during the session" [with the police].

My second link directly quotes what I stated. The pictures are on Gray's Facebook page, which was also linked earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, I looked it up, and the city of NY was Republican-run at the time of my grandfather's murder... it was also Republican-run from '94-'07, until Bloomberg declared himself an "independent." Huh. Should I politicize that information, or just accept that ALL cities have their problems?
NYC has predominately been Democratically run.

1954-1965: Mayor Wagner - Democrat
1966-1973: Mayor Lindsay - Republican who turned Independent, who then turned Democrat
1974-1977: Mayor Beame - Democrat
1978-1989: Mayor Koch - Democrat
1990-1993: Mayor Dinkins - Democrat
Then a Republican: Mayor Guiliani - 1994-2001
2002-present: Mayor Bloomberg - Republican who turned Independent, (who will surprise very few if he officially turns Democrat next)

Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 PM

267 posts, read 202,639 times
I'm not surprise people in here are trying to politicize this tragedy, and highlight this point again:

Quote:
On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.
This is the first sentence in the OP, and everyone is still making a big deal out of the title. So I see many people in here could careless about the situation, it's just another dead "gangbanger" that died by the hands of two pigs.

Quote:
When lower class blacks act like ghetto thugs, get what they deserve, and then cry racism, they ruin it for the majority of blacks in this country.
And ya'll wonder why most notably, HoodsofATL and I, take the stance we do on this board.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
NYC has predominately been Democratically run.

1954-1965: Mayor Wagner - Democrat
1966-1973: Mayor Lindsay - Republican who turned Independent, who then turned Democrat
1974-1977: Mayor Beame - Democrat
1978-1989: Mayor Koch - Democrat
1990-1993: Mayor Dinkins - Democrat
Then a Republican: Mayor Guiliani - 1994-2001
2002-present: Mayor Bloomberg - Republican who turned Independent, (who will surprise very few if he officially turns Democrat next)
I said exactly what is posted above - that it was Republican-run at the time of my grandfather's murder, and was run by a Republican/Republican-turned-independent from 1994-present. That's a pretty long run for the right, so you can hardly blame all of NYC's issues on "liberals" (as Harrier was attempting to do). That is all I said.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:00 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Mayor Bloomberg knows best. You people chose to live there, don't whine about it now.

Looks like only the govenor in a state can implement martial law at the state level.

martial law legal definition of martial law. martial law synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:26 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Looks like only the govenor in a state can implement martial law at the state level.

martial law legal definition of martial law. martial law synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
Look up state of exception then

Old 03-18-2013, 12:12 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Did you read the whole article?

'“I couldn’t see what the kids were doing,' she said during the session" [with the police].

My second link directly quotes what I stated. The pictures are on Gray's Facebook page, which was also linked earlier in this thread.
Do you have ANY evidence. ANY at all that the teen had the gun and pointed it at the officers outside of the officer's testimonies?

Please show me anything. I have evidence to the contrary. If your gonna try to make a case, at least provide evidence.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Doesn't matter to these people. The cops that shot Sean Bell were Black and Hispanic. One of the Black cops volunteered a tremendous amount of his time helping at risk black youth. He was still branded a racist evil man by the black community.

Quote:
Exactly. The witness told different stories and has lost her credibility.

There is also a witness who heard one of the cops yell, "What do you have in your hands?" [1]

Of course he didn't own a gun. He was such a good boy. I wonder who's prints will be found on the gun that just miraculously happened to appear at the scene?

"Gray, whose pictures show him sporting beads worn by Bloods members, was arrested on almost a dozen charges since turning 16 last year. His arrests include grand and petit larceny, possession of stolen property and inciting a riot." [2] Good boy, indeed.

There is evidence Gray was shot both in the front and the back. There is no evidence he didn't spin after being struck in the front first, resulting in the back wounds. BTW, this is completely different from your original quoted claim that, "Kimani was shot in the back seven times."

Protest? Yes. Trash the neighborhood — looting a pharmacy, breaking windows on vehicles and beating at least two innocent people in the process? Absolutely not. [3]

Oh, and for the race baiters here: "The sergeant who shot Gray is black and the officer is Hispanic, the Post learned yesterday." 4]

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Gray's cousin told the police that he was "Holding the gun for a friend".

How can people say now, that this thug didn't have a gun, when his own cousin made an official statement that he did?

Now we have people protesting, not a problem, BUT some of them are are rampaging, and damaging other people's property. I think the BEST way to handle these thugs would be to simply just shoot and kill em. That way we don't have any wasted time and effort on trials, jail, etc etc. It would also help the ecology, because they would no longer waste good oxygen, food or space in the world, and they could be used as fertilizer.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
Look up state of exception then
That would be a theory of bypassing the rule of law.
So far as what I found was a book by that name by Giorgio Agamben.

So, provide us with some links showing it's legal precedence in local city politics then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies