Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:03 AM

116 posts, read 93,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Really?! Interesting how that can be said without any supporting evidence. We ARE all in the same boat. We aren't all the same, but we is riding the same river. You call me ignorant, and claim we are all seperated somehow, but aren't willing to explain your rationale.

Please, enlighten me with your vast wisdom. Perhaps lighting a lamp in this dark place in which I dwell. Lmao. I can't wait to take in this new knowledge, and have it change my life in profound ways.
To suggest that non blacks receive the same treatment from law enforcement, not to mention are in danger of having their voting rights revoked, IS ignorance in its purest form. I see you're one of those" white men are disenfranchised" type of posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,242,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
On the heels of three nights of protests over the police slaying of 16 year old Kimani Gray, the NYPD has turned the East Flatbush neighborhood of Brooklyn into a State of Exception, claiming emergency powers to suspend the constitutional guarantees of the citizenry.The people regularly targeted by police harassment and violence, overwhelmingly the city’s poor and minority populations, have taken to the streets to speak out against the NYPD’s draconian tactics. The police have in turn responded with even further harsh measures by suppressing the right of the people to voice dissatisfaction with that very same police force.Cops kettled protesters at Wednesday night’s candlelight vigil, resulting in 46 arrests. Police even arrested Kimani Gray’s distraught sister, Mahnefeh.The NYPD euphemistically calls the public spaces in which the Constitutional rights of the people are suspended “frozen zones.”Allison Kilkenny wrote about the NYPD’s so-called “frozen zones” in December 2011:“The ‘frozen zone’ is an arbitrary, official police business-sounding title that has absolutely zero legal merit. It’s something the NYPD made up, just as the ‘First Amendment zone’ is something [Los Angeles Mayor Antonio] Villaraigosa made up to suppress media coverage of the Occupy raids.”According to FIERCE, the “frozen zone” in East Flatbush is being used to prevent media from covering the protests and arrests. Meanwhile, people inside the “frozen zone” can be subjected to arrest merely by exercising their constitutional rights.“It basically means the area is under temporary martial law,” writes FIERCE. “The last times the NYPD declared a Frozen Zone was on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 and during the beginning of OWS.”An arbitrary dictate that arrests protest and free speech, set forth by the institution that is itself the target of the protests, creates a potentially dangerous precedent of placing the NYPD beyond reproach.Occupy Austin reposted this poignant summary of events by Jen Roesch as they were unfolding in Brooklyn last night:“East Flatbush, Brooklyn is under martial law as the NYPD declares it a ‘frozen zone’. Media are being monitored and kept from moving and reporting freely. Dozens of arrests and much brutality. Kimani was shot in the back seven times; a witness is sure he was unarmed; multiple reports are coming out that the police had been waging a campaign of harassment against the young man (including taunting him about a friend who had died in a car accident and threatening to shoot him when he tried to leave). This is just blocks from where Shantel Davis was shot, dragged from her car and left to bleed to death in the street last summer. After that shooting, police went to all the surrounding delis and confiscated their surveillance videos. Residents in the neighborhood live in a state of terror. Heartbreaking, enraging, the stuff that riots are made of. This city is at a breaking point.”Kimani Gray’s parents are scheduled to hold a press conference this evening to address the March 9 police slaying of their young son.

The NYPD Declares Martial Law in Brooklyn | Alternative
Your post is rubbish on so many levels.

Kimani was not shot in the back seven times. He was shot seven times in total, three of those seven in the back. According to the NY Times:

"Seven bullets hit Mr. Gray, including three that entered his body from the rear, according to the New York City Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

The autopsy did not establish the order in which the bullets struck Mr. Gray, or determine the path of the bullets, which might make clearer if Mr. Gray had his back to the officers when he was shot, or if he had twisted away after being struck from the front."

This is corroborated by The Village Voice:

"The teen was hit four times from the front and three times from the back. He died from his wounds at Kings County Hospital Center."

As for a witness saying he was unarmed, that same witness previously told police investigators that she couldn't see what Gray was doing.

"The only civilian eyewitness to come forward in the case has claimed she is "certain" Gray had nothing in his hands when his was shot, but previously told internal affairs investigators that she could not see what Gray and number of other teens were doing "from the angle I was at."

Three witnesses told investigators they heard the police tell Gray to "freeze" or "don't move". Reports are that Gray removed a gun from his waistband and turned on the cops with the gun. A loaded gun was recovered at the scene.

Gray's sister wasn't arrested. She was put into a police car, issued a summons, and released.

The area isn't under martial law, however, there is a moderate police presence there. That would be expected after protesters threw bottles, fruit, broke bus windows, ransacked a Rite-Aid store, etc., none of which falls within, "merely by exercising their constitutional rights".

Old 03-17-2013, 06:22 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,456,636 times
The thug had it coming.

Kimani Gray, 16-year-old killed by police in East Flatbush, proudly flashed “Bloods” signs on Facebook - NYPOST.com

Quote:
On his Facebook page, Kimani brazenly shows Bloods hand symbols in five photos. In one tell-tale image, his fingers form the shape of a “B” while holding a red scarf. In another, he shows a sideways “W,” signifying “West Coast,” where the gang originated.

There is also online video which cops say shows Kimani - he's wearing a red sweatshirt - taunting a young rival Crip and stomping on his beads.

Police say the 10th-grader known as “Kiki” was a Blood and had a criminal record. Kimani and his friends were out to commit a robbery that night, said a law-enforcement source.

“He’s been in trouble in school and in trouble on the streets,” the source said

Old 03-17-2013, 06:26 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,610,240 times
I love how conservatives say all thugs should be killed by their victums but when one is killed by police, it was wrong to kill such a stand up guy.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:07 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,152,079 times
Aren't military people government "thugs"? Is it ok to kill for oil but not for drugs?

Old 03-17-2013, 08:14 AM

59,347 posts, read 27,522,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Another local issue that the rest of the country doesn't need to hear about. Got enough on our plate already.
I guess we shouldn't have talked about Katrina, Sandy, Columbine, Newtown, etc., etc., etc!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:25 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,177,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I swear they don't care about us, wait down the road in a couple of years suburban Amerikkka will see how they should've been against this in Amerikkka. #prisonersofwar #blackinamerikkka #ripkimani
If you cannot learn how to properly spell our country's name, AMERICA, I will start filing a complaint every time you spell it incorrectly. Your childish attitude and complete lack of respect for our country is evident in every post you make.

If you dislike it so much, leave. Instead of working to make it a better place, posts like yours above, force more and more division. Is that what you are trying to do, force people to hate you and what you stand for?

Are you in the post above suggesting that everyone should arm themselves and prepare for a shooting war against you and your ilk?

You sir are a divider, and an instigator. You complain against all the imagined slights against anyone else, inferring that they are against you personally while you sit safe and sound behind a keyboard whining away.

If all you are going to do is whine, complain, throw tantrums, and divide, please go away. When you have something of substance to offer, something that helps address issues, then myself and most everyone else here will be glad to listen.

funny condoms commercial, kid throws a tantrum - YouTube

Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 AM

18,162 posts, read 15,669,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lybricks View Post
To suggest that non blacks receive the same treatment from law enforcement, not to mention are in danger of having their voting rights revoked, IS ignorance in its purest form. I see you're one of those" white men are disenfranchised" type of posters.
Lmao...disenfranchised? Hardly. You have completely misinterpreted me. Twisting what I say into what you want to hear. What I am saying,is, that the sweeping powers LE now has, to deal out justice as they see fit, on the street, effects us ALL.

I have been treated quite badly by the cops, several times, and I'm not black. According to your take, I should have gotten a pass. The cops have become addicted to their TAZERS, and, regardless of skin color, we citizens are the enemy.

I don't buy that blacks are singled out anymore. Or Hispanics, Asians etc. The new breed of urban cop sees us all the same way. At least below a certain income level. A pickup with a rifle rack gets one the same treatment as a pink Cadillac with fuzzy dice.

You can continue to wallow in the past if you wish. Interpret my posts as you like. The reality of the new breed of LE is quite different than it was in the 60s. The ignorance here is not mine. Its not the white supremacy types pulling the strings these days. We are ALL guilty until proven innocent now. Got a problem with that? Here, have a little taste of TAZER, see if that improves your outlook.

Welcome to Amerika.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,152,079 times
So no reports that the kid had a gun. From anyone except the people who shot him.

Am I clear in that no witnesses have said that he had a gun??

Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM

799 posts, read 1,097,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lmao...disenfranchised? Hardly. You have completely misinterpreted me. Twisting what I say into what you want to hear. What I am saying,is, that the sweeping powers LE now has, to deal out justice as they see fit, on the street, effects us ALL.

I have been treated quite badly by the cops, several times, and I'm not black. According to your take, I should have gotten a pass. The cops have become addicted to their TAZERS, and, regardless of skin color, we citizens are the enemy.

I don't buy that blacks are singled out anymore. Or Hispanics, Asians etc. The new breed of urban cop sees us all the same way. At least below a certain income level. A pickup with a rifle rack gets one the same treatment as a pink Cadillac with fuzzy dice.

You can continue to wallow in the past if you wish. Interpret my posts as you like. The reality of the new breed of LE is quite different than it was in the 60s. The ignorance here is not mine. Its not the white supremacy types pulling the strings these days. We are ALL guilty until proven innocent now. Got a problem with that? Here, have a little taste of TAZER, see if that improves your outlook.

Welcome to Amerika.
The difference what you're describing is what us Afrikans in Amerikkka have been going through for the past century, by LE. This is what I was saying when saying that suburban Amerikkka should stand up now with us rather than making emotional remarks based on our views, or agree with the police, because sooner or later ya'll kids are going to start getting murdered just like ours have been for the couple of decades, by the same people who "protect and serve"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies