Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Still worrisome though because Cyprus actually proposed it and the big players approved the action.

Well the bank runs showed that the people aren't totally asleep at the wheel and will allow governments to run roughshod over them.

That line in the sand keeps moving and not in a good direction as far as citizens/taxpayers go.
It seems banks/sovereigns will try to take as much as they can and back off at sure signs of revolt.

But while the people get to keep their deposits they are not out of the woods. Most likely they will see strict austerity measures put on them like the other countries beholden to the IMF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
This may turn into a staring contest. Who will blink first. Without the bail-out, the Cyprus economy is predicted to collapse, and they'll have to leave the Eurozone. Will Germany allow that to happen? If Cyprus goes, others like Greece may follow. Portugal and Spain will be watching closely.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Cyprus votes no. Will the EU let them goof the euro?

http://nyti.ms/YlzKQy
They didn't vote yet. And the new proposal is to not tax deposits under $20K Euro now; everyone else will still be taxed.
Well the line has been crossed...

From your link..from Ms IMF herself is in favor of taxing citizen's savings:

The managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, said Tuesday she was in favor of modifying the agreement to put a lower burden on ordinary depositors.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Still worrisome though because Cyprus actually proposed it and the big players approved the action.
Cyprus didn't propose it. It was forced on them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92***H20130318

As I said, I understand the idea of requiring collateral for a loan but the bigger question is whether or not the loan is the answer.

Quote:
Well the bank runs showed that the people aren't totally asleep at the wheel and will allow governments to run roughshod over them.

That line in the sand keeps moving and not in a good direction as far as citizens/taxpayers go.
It seems banks/sovereigns will try to take as much as they can and back off at sure signs of revolt.

But while the people get to keep their deposits they are not out of the woods. Most likely they will see strict austerity measures put on them like the other countries beholden to the IMF.
When will we wake up?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
This may turn into a staring contest. Who will blink first. Without the bail-out, the Cyprus economy is predicted to collapse, and they'll have to leave the Eurozone. Will Germany allow that to happen? If Cyprus goes, others like Greece may follow. Portugal and Spain will be watching closely.
The IMF is pushing Cyprus to "act quickly" and pass the bill.
The IMF could give a hoot what happens; they just want their ounce of blood.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

When will we wake up?
If you are already "awake" then you have plans made for "what if".
And there is nothing bad about hope for the best but plan for the worst.

When FDR got elected rumors started circulating about him seizing the gold.
That was right after the 1932 elections. By April 1933 it proved true.

There was a 5 month span of rumors. I'll betcha there were some "paranoid" folks that took their gold home during that period "just in case".

Heck..over the course of my career my pension got changed by my company and my SS retirement date got changed by Congress.

I managed and planned and retired early in spite of the changes.
But my 401K is MY money that I saved and invested and I'll be damned if Congress attempts to put their grubby hands on that money "in my best interests". So I have my Plan B sitting in the wings and I follow and I read and I wait.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They didn't vote yet. And the new proposal is to not tax deposits under $20K Euro now; everyone else will still be taxed.
Well the line has been crossed...

From your link..from Ms IMF herself is in favor of taxing citizen's savings:

The managing director of the International Monetary Fund, Christine Lagarde, said Tuesday she was in favor of modifying the agreement to put a lower burden on ordinary depositors.
Then they would still be taxing insured accounts. No matter how they slice this they are hitting ordinary customers. They should just give it up and stop making it appear that it even matters. They are seeking to seize money from the traditional safe keeping place - a savings account. The trust is gone.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then they would still be taxing insured accounts. No matter how they slice this they are hitting ordinary customers. They should just give it up and stop making it appear that it even matters. They are seeking to seize money from the traditional safe keeping place - a savings account. The trust is gone.
Yes it is. To step over that line indicates to me that the EU is in worse financial condition than we are led to believe.

They say history repeats itself.
The stock market crashed in 1929 but the Great Depression wasn't acknowledged until 1933-1934.
That span was full of "we're recovering" and trying to build citizen confidence to go back to spending and investing.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

The National Government are pushing a Cyprus-style solution to bank failure in New Zealand which will see small depositors lose some of their savings to fund big bank bailouts, the Green Party said today.

Open Bank Resolution (OBR) is Finance Minister Bill English’s favoured option dealing with a major bank failure. If a bank fails under OBR, all depositors will have their savings reduced overnight to fund the bank’s bail out.

National planning Cyprus-style solution for New Zealand | Scoop News

In a way though this could be really good if investors money is on the line also.

I see nothing in this article about that though and granted I have no idea how banking in NZ or what the Green Party over there stands for.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Breaking news on the BBC television news. 1 million euros are on a plane flying out to Cyprus right now. This is for emergency funds for British personnel in Cyprus, in case people are unable to get access to funds at the bank, or from cash machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies