Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Breaking news on the BBC television news. 1 million euros are on a plane flying out to Cyprus right now. This is for emergency funds for British personnel in Cyprus, in case people are unable to get access to funds at the bank, or from cash machines.
ROFL..governments are dropping money from the sky for the people now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
If you could have predicted it why didn't you? Or are you just trying to make yourself look better by claiming you had foresight you really didn't have?

BTW my prediction is this tax (which hasn't actually happened yet, remember) never actually gets implimented as the German government is forced to change the terms of the bailout. Personally, I'm giving it a 50-50 but leaning towards bankers in the other troubled states make Merkal back down.
A lot of people predicted this collapse and since the very start of the euro. I think anyone can see that this kind of experiment is going to fail.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Cyprus didn't propose it. It was forced on them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92***H20130318

As I said, I understand the idea of requiring collateral for a loan but the bigger question is whether or not the loan is the answer.

When will we wake up?
One article I read said it was actually Cyprus officials who brought up the bank tax and that they initially wanted to tax small accounts up to 40% because they didn't want the big accounts to pay a double digit tax. That's why the initial big account tax was 9.9%

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Then they would still be taxing insured accounts. No matter how they slice this they are hitting ordinary customers. They should just give it up and stop making it appear that it even matters. They are seeking to seize money from the traditional safe keeping place - a savings account. The trust is gone.
Deposit insurance is like a bond it's merely a promise to pay if the insurer is broke the promise wont do you much good. You've been warned.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:42 AM

Cypriot finance minister tenders resignation, PM refuses to accept

Cyprus Finance Minister Resigns, President Refuses To Accept Resignation | Zero Hedge

Head for the hills before the Russian mob descends.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Lest we in the States get too complacent

US Deposits In Perspective: $25 Billion In Insurance, $9,283 Billion In Deposits; $297,514 Billion In Derivatives | Zero Hedge

Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,021,070 times
I was bored watching CSPAN the other night when I couldn't sleep. They had these clowns from JPMorgan testifying about their derivative mess. They assured everyone that they had hired the best risk management folks around and all will be well. I slept fine after that. lol

Old 03-19-2013, 11:14 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I managed and planned and retired early in spite of the changes.
But my 401K is MY money that I saved and invested and I'll be damned if Congress attempts to put their grubby hands on that money "in my best interests". So I have my Plan B sitting in the wings and I follow and I read and I wait.
I've been trying, and thought I was safe with my 401K and savings account/CDs but now I'm not so sure. I guess I'm rich.??? just for sacrificing and saving. Like many others, I don't have an alternative plan but don't fancy being a victim. If they want it and it's there they will just take it.

I have an elderly relative who heard about all this and is now nervous about his money in the bank and retirement funds here in the US. I hope he doesn't actually withdraw everything and tell people about it. He's a little paranoid but he remembers the depression. I don't know what to tell him, not that he'd listen anyway.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
ROFL..governments are dropping money from the sky for the people now
I could see the Obama plane flying over inner cities dropping money out the back for all his followers. Maybe some loafs of bread too.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I've been trying, and thought I was safe with my 401K and savings account/CDs but now I'm not so sure. I guess I'm rich.??? just for sacrificing and saving. Like many others, I don't have an alternative plan but don't fancy being a victim. If they want it and it's there they will just take it.

I have an elderly relative who heard about all this and is now nervous about his money in the bank and retirement funds here in the US. I hope he doesn't actually withdraw everything and tell people about it. He's a little paranoid but he remembers the depression. I don't know what to tell him, not that he'd listen anyway.
In today's America you are punished of you did the right thing, paid your own way, paid your taxes, paid your mortgage, saved for your future. It's not fair you are set and others aren't. Sad times indeed.

Of course you didn't do that the government did it for you I forget that nugget sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies