Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
It is awesome that your location is in one of the most financially irresponsible states in the union. Of course you want tax money from states that produce without spending money like morons.

You mentioned earlier in the thread poorer states in the Midwest? You do realize that NY and CA have two of the worst economies in the nation because of bloated government and unfunded liabilities, right? IL is in bad shape, but that is mostly the fault of Chicago. The Midwestern states feed most of the world, they would be fine... people buy food.

People need to take responsibility and choose where to live based on reality. When you choose where to live, there are many factors to take into account, and you can't cancel out factors like a poor economy by stealing money from other people. (Well, under the current system you actually can, but that doesn't make it moral.)
I don't think you know how much of our GDP comes from the states along the coasts. Also, if you take away all the subsidies that the midwest corporate farms enjoy they wouldn't be as fine as you think.

Also feel free to badmouth where I am currently living, I am not from here and you aren't going to hurt my feelings.This place can be annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't think you know how much of our GDP comes from the states along the coasts. Also, if you take away all the subsidies that the midwest corporate farms enjoy they wouldn't be as fine as you think.

Also feel free to badmouth where I am currently living, I am not from here and you aren't going to hurt my feelings.This place can be annoying.
Because GDP paints the whole picture right? Take an economics class. California Can Top New York as Nation

Subsidies are a bad thing that protect special interests, the Midwest would be better without them.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You seem to believe that I am supporting the States all running their own show with the Federal government as only a figurehead, you would be wrong, re-read my post and what I am replying to. I am simply pointing out the fact that the same people that scream States Rights are also the same people the whine like little girls when some States use those same rights to pass Bills/Laws that those people disagree with. In other words they want States to run their own show but only when those States do as they themselves want it done, meaning a double statndard, which is unfortunately a common trait with many these days.
No, I did not think that. I agree with you on the double Standard issue. Guess I did not make that plain enough. What I was stating was the basis for Supreme Court Rulings that States can not impose taxes on out of state peoples and corporations that cross their state unless the same is imposed upon their own instate residents and corporations. Discrimination is what it boils down too, that and the Double Standard thing.

Overall, what I am saying is the" States Rights" controversy has already showed its ugly head , as in the 60s Southern States equal rights wars. These same states were high on the list of excepting Federal monies, yet were using the States Rights rallying cry, talking points ,as a smoke screen for their real agenda of ultra right wing wish/ hit lists. WE all know what they are, Women's rights , racial discrimination, religious " freedoms", gun laws, or the lack thereof. .. You can not have both. The Federal Government Has withheld funding,as the only leverage available, without harming the majority / minority of peoples within the State who are being used wrongly as pawns. Its hard to do, a thin line. This is why we Have laws made in Washington DC, by the duly elected representatives from ALL states. Its the only way to at lest attempt fairness ., so no one State can trump the others in excepting Federal funding and pork barrel hand outs. Unfortunately many "pet" funded projects get in under the radar . Not all were Southern States, in recent years Alaska has been the taker of Pork, State Senator Ted Stevens was a master at slipping thru sweetheart deals for His State and for Corporations that are doing business in the State.

This leverage, political attempts to get it all is unfortunately nothing new. AS an example and as one of the states that is threatening to leave the Union, its Texas. Why we have Federal laws and controls today is easily mirrored in the Lone Star State's history.; In the beginning the Republic of Texas was carved out of Mexican Lands, and as we all know they were trying to break away from the motherland., hence The Alamo event, and others. Texas was having a hard time, they were losing the fight and they knew it so Texas went to the US federal Government for help in an attempt to save the Republic. Which seemed like a easy deal, considering many of the peoples in the Republic of Texas were US Citizens. What they got as a final offer was the US would help with the cause to save Texas , but only on the condition that Texas give up its Republic status and became a US State. AS far as the response, Texas said " no way, were the Republic of Texas and shall remain so forever" or something like that, from I think Sam Huston if I recall my history half right... Texas was between a rock and a hard place, many offers and compromises were attempted but in the end all could see the handwriting on the wall, if there was to be anything left as a independent Republic, it was to become a State of the United States..... So it goes , on December 29th 1845 Texas became the 28th state in the Union. Hence, US troops were dispatched to Veracruz by ship, troops met with limited resistance marching on to Mexico City and as a result the beginning of the end for Control of the SW including California by Mexico .. ... Texas got its wish , at a price , ether way they lived to fight another day the rest is history.....

Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Because GDP paints the whole picture right? Take an economics class. California Can Top New York as Nation

Subsidies are a bad thing that protect special interests, the Midwest would be better without them.
Except for the fact that most of the midwest farms are corporate owned.

And while GDP doesn't tell the whole picture of a state, it does tell you the importance of that state to the American economy.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:

And while GDP doesn't tell the whole picture of a state, it does tell you the importance of that state to the American economy.
Ya , take North Dakota...please ! Midwest, ? yes, breadbasket to the world grain profits are up 43 per cent and oil/gas fracking operations are making the BND look real good. here is one example where a State is partnering with local banks, excepting federal monies in the form of subsidies, and loans...at the same time bailing out their own instate businesses and helping the people to get loans. The Bank Of North Dakota was formed in 1919 July 26th to be exact, yet it was not until 1945 that they started using profits gained to transfer monies over to general revenue . Today This is the only State I am aware of that has their own bank, a real case of having it all, everything they do is a win win.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
There is no strong secession movement. The current movement is less a increasing dissatisfaction with the central control of America but is instead dissatisfaction from people who are pissed off that the black president won re-election.

The secession movement basically got a few thousand signatures in a nation of tens of millions of voters. You can get that many people to sign a petition to outlaw gravity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yawn.

That's the dopiest thing I ever read on C-D.
Unless you proof-read your own posts.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Ya , take North Dakota...please ! Midwest, ? yes, breadbasket to the world grain profits are up 43 per cent and oil/gas fracking operations are making the BND look real good. here is one example where a State is partnering with local banks, excepting federal monies in the form of subsidies, and loans...at the same time bailing out their own instate businesses and helping the people to get loans. The Bank Of North Dakota was formed in 1919 July 26th to be exact, yet it was not until 1945 that they started using profits gained to transfer monies over to general revenue . Today This is the only State I am aware of that has their own bank, a real case of having it all, everything they do is a win win.
I never knew North Dakota was the entire Midwest, thank you for informing me of that.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I never knew North Dakota was the entire Midwest, thank you for informing me of that.
That depends if you live in North Dakota or not, I guess. I am sure they are proud of what they have accomplished and possibility are jabbing a stick in the eye of South Dakota. There has been contentions between these two stated for a long time, when there was a consideration made for the states to join hands and become one. Should not have been too bad a deal since both are red states, but thats when the trump card came out of the box . Of coarse North Dakota wanted the Lyons share , top billing ,and the state capital to remain in Bismarck...SD would have no part of it, hence nothing ever came if the idea.

ND is in the heart of the Great Plains which starts in SK. and travels all the way to Texas. They grow wheat and rye, and lots of it, a world staple. So , yes they may not actually be in the middle of the Midwest , but on the fringes. Count then as you may, its your choice, but with 55 percent of the people of German heritage you are not going to get anywhere with anything..unless its their idea...and they like it !

Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That depends if you live in North Dakota or not, I guess. I am sure they are proud of what they have accomplished and possibility are jabbing a stick in the eye of South Dakota. There has been contentions between these two stated for a long time, when there was a consideration made for the states to join hands and become one. Should not have been too bad a deal since both are red states, but thats when the trump card came out of the box . Of coarse North Dakota wanted the Lyons share , top billing ,and the state capital to remain in Bismarck...SD would have no part of it, hence nothing ever came if the idea.

ND is in the heart of the Great Plains which starts in SK. and travels all the way to Texas. They grow wheat and rye, and lots of it, a world staple. So , yes they may not actually be in the middle of the Midwest , but on the fringes. Count then as you may, its your choice, but with 55 percent of the people of German heritage you are not going to get anywhere with anything..unless its their idea...and they like it !
Okay.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times
Quote:

Yes, corporate farms that collect subsidies that smaller farms cannot, and they also lobby for higher regulations to keep competitors out of the market place. The subsidies help breed corruption/quasi-monopolization.

The reason that New York has a high GDP is simply because of the money that flows through the state. New York does not produce/manufacture goods...not on the scale of other states... the GDP is based mostly on services, which are only there because of the money that passes through. Iowa produces more actual product than New York. Without the money from agricultural/manufacturing/energy in other states flowing through New York, they would not need as many services and the GDP would drop off.

If you want to look at states separately, you can not look at them as a part of a whole. You have to look at what that state would do ON ITS OWN. If Iowa was not part of a country with NYC, it would still produce tons of food. It is not the corporate farms that make it a productive area, it is the natural fertility and growing conditions.

Also, if the federal government were to dissolve, not every state would be it's own country, states would band together for mutual benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies