Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 05:56 PM

37,231 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Marijuana is not an addictive substance. Nicotine acts on the same receptors in the brain that cocaine does, and is one of the most addictive substances known to man. That is why the cigarette companies used to hire people to give away samples, knowing that a certain percentage would try them and become addicted, thereby creating a customer for them for life. When someone says they smoke because they enjoy it, you can bet they are hooked and smoke to keep away the physical pain of withdrawal. Marijuana smokers smoke it because it is a mild euphoric, not unike having a couple of beers to mellow out.

There are no studies I am aware of that have linked smoking marijuana to cancer, and recent research seems to indicate that THC actually stops the growth of some tumors. I remember colon cancer as being one type specifically mentioned.

I smoked a truckload of it in college with no ill effects. Alcohol almost killed me. I was inpatient for six weeks to deal with my alcoholism after I hit bottom. If my children asked, I would tell them I would much rather they smoke weed than drink. It's much more people-friendly.

Last edited by cuebald; 08-14-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,174,016 times
In the last days the Bible said that which is good is bad and that which is bad is good.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM

37,231 posts, read 19,225,735 times
There are a lot of different bibles out there, and not all of them agree.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
In the last days the Bible said that which is good is bad and that which is bad is good.
Don't sweat the last days, Tera. Even Jesus himself got that one wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Me neither, but we're in the minority. Pot is very hip and trendy, but doesn't it have the exact same health risks that cigarettes do? yet pot is cool and cigs are not cool. Why?
It always puzzles me why some posters ask questions that are so easily answered.

Let me google that for you

From the first link listed:

Quote:
CHICAGO -- Smoking a joint once a week or a bit more apparently doesn't harm the lungs, suggests a 20-year study that bolsters evidence that marijuana doesn't do the kind of damage tobacco does.
The results, from one of the largest and longest studies on the health effects of marijuana, are hazier for heavy users – those who smoke two or more joints daily for several years. The data suggest that using marijuana that often might cause a decline in lung function, but there weren't enough heavy users among the 5,000 young adults in the study to draw firm conclusions. Marijuana And Lungs: Study Finds Drug Doesn't Do Same Kind Of Damage As Tobacco

Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

And there is nothing in the Bible saying anything about cannabis being bad.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:15 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Default Honest Question for Libs: Why is smoking cigs bad, but smoking pot is cool?

I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks

Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Don't harsh their mellow dude.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:19 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Better some weed than all the Pharma- not replacing harmful synthetic cigarettes - but replacing some pills

Old 01-10-2018, 02:26 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Better some weed than all the Pharma- not replacing harmful synthetic cigarettes - but replacing some pills
Sorry, I'm not following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies