Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times

Advertisements

I don't think either one is cool. And we already have problems with folks driving while drunk, now the pro-pot folks want us all to have to deal with driving while stoned?? And don't say that can't cause deaths - I can point you to two families in my area who lost teenaged children to an idiot who was stoned AND drunk and slammed into the car they were riding in, killing 2 of the 4 occupants, all of whom were high school students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 02:31 PM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Sorry, I'm not following.
Weed is not replacing a cigarette as another type of smoke- weed is helpful to the body in many areas. Rather have given my grandson some weed - than the terrible retalin that ruined his kidneys for his seizures. Get it ? Better weed than alcohol that eats your liver n can make you violent .

Old 01-10-2018, 02:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks
No disconnect here. I feel about tobacco (and alcohol) exactly the same way I feel about marijuana.

They should be legal for adults to use as long as no one else is harmed, and they should be taxed in order to ameliorate whatever negative effects they have on society at large. Almost all of us like to alter our consciousness at least a little bit, or caffeine-containing beverages wouldn't be so popular.

Tobacco, alcohol, marijuana are mildly psychoactive and have a VERY long history of human use. Of the three, marijuana has the least health and social consequences, but it's the only one that is a Schedule I drug. This makes absolutely no objective sense.

A lot of the social consequences we ascribe to marijuana use are a consequence of the war on drugs, and not the marijuana itself. For instance, it's quite possible to distribute marijuana w/out the cartel middlemen. And I LIKE the idea of a world w/out those *******s.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-10-2018 at 02:50 PM..

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Weed is not replacing a cigarette as another type of smoke- weed is helpful to the body in many areas. Rather have given my grandson some weed - than the terrible retalin that ruined his kidneys for his seizures. Get it ? Better weed than alcohol that eats your liver n can make you violent .
So legalize it for medicinal purposes, but recreational?? Hell, no.

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't think either one is cool. And we already have problems with folks driving while drunk, now the pro-pot folks want us all to have to deal with driving while stoned?? And don't say that can't cause deaths - I can point you to two families in my area who lost teenaged children to an idiot who was stoned AND drunk and slammed into the car they were riding in, killing 2 of the 4 occupants, all of whom were high school students.
Abuse of anything is bad but weed alone is better than alchoho- Being stoned is as bad as being drunk or high off pills ...

Old 01-10-2018, 02:37 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Neither one affect me in any significant way.

I’d prefer people smoke pot over cigarettes, because I’ve never seen a pot smoker throwing a butt out the window of their car.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:42 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks
I think you're making an issue where there is none, no one is saying to smoke cannabis instead of cigarettes.

Those who consume cannabis are doing so as something either recreational, or for medicinal reasons.

For those on the recreational side, it's pointing out that cannabis has a far safer track record than booze, yet cannabis is illegal. You also don't have to combust cannabis to enjoy it. Consuming cannabis will soon be akin to going and having a glass of wine, or a craft beer.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:42 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
I think some people who advocate for recreational cannabis are misinformed about the health risks however it is far safer physically than alcohol and if its grown in clean environment no harsh pesticides or chemicals its much safer than smoking cigarettes. Also the reason people want it legalized is to free up jail space for real criminals not people enjoying a plant war on drugs is an absolute failure.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times
Quote:
One has nothing to do with the other. I guess I need to preface that I'm a Libertarian so I'm not sure if my opinion counts. The thing is that very few people light up a joint every 30 minutes as most smokers do.

I don't even know why you believe it's hip, cool, or a trend. Millions of people have always smoked pot no matter the legality of doing so. It's the safest buzz on the planet and far safer than alcohol. Alcohol overdoses (alcohol poisoning) kills 20,000 people a year, while pot OD's don't exist. The THC OD is cured with sleep.

A better question would be "why are there hundreds of thousands of people sitting in jails for having a small bag of weed?"

How can anyone with a brain believe that is a good thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
it is far safer physically than alcohol and if its grown in clean environment no harsh pesticides or chemicals its much safer than smoking cigarettes. Also the reason people want it legalized is to free up jail space for real criminals not people enjoying a plant war on drugs is an absolute failure.
Fixed your post to be exactly correct. The health risks are negligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Abuse of anything is bad but weed alone is better than alchoho- Being stoned is as bad as being drunk or high off pills ...
THAT is not even close to the reality of the truth.

Last edited by steven_h; 01-10-2018 at 02:58 PM..

Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
I saw a headline on CNN the other day (it was on in the gym, I would never intentionally watch it) and it was decrying Jeff Sessions stance on pot and how it would hurt the multi-billion dollar Pot Industry, but CNN would never, ever take a stand in support of the cigarette industry, and in fact are always against it (rightfully so), yet both pot smoking and cigarette smoking are carcinogenic. So CNN is anti Big Tobacco, but pro Big Pot. I don't understand the hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies