Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times

Advertisements

I don't think either one of them is cool.

But people should be free to do what they want, as long as it doesn't infringe on anybody else's enjoyment.

IRL, I could care less whether people light up a cig or weed in front of me, even though I don't partake in either.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:34 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
And now we have scromiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And now we have scromiting.
Throwing up scrotums?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Throwing up scrotums?
Throwing up and screaming at the same time, from smoking too much weed.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:39 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Re: the bold text: It sure is! I'm impressed.

But I still sense a brick wall. You said "it's really really stupid to do something that's so demonstrably harmful to yourself". That indicates to me you are a victim of all the propaganda that has been so rampant since The War on Drugs started. If so, no matter what I say will change that. If I'm wrong, you would be the first in history (except maybe Dr. Sanjay Gupta) to change your stance.

I have offered evidence that cannabis has been in daily use by literally millions for 50 years. I have also offered my own story as evidence (61 years old, 47 years of daily use, and have never filed a medical insurance claim in my life). Then there is still the small problem of not one documented case of cancer due to cannabis use exists.

So am am wondering what other types of evidence that it would take to get your attention (not falsified studies that always produces the outcome the funding party wants) ?
If there are, indeed, some health benefits to marijuana, then I highly suspect it's some specific chemical in it that provides the benefit. But inhaling it into your lungs can hardly be a safe way of ingesting it. Lungs are designed to inhale (fresh) air so as to deliver oxygen to your body. Any other use besides that is likely to have negative consequences. Inhaling smoke from a cigarette or joint cannot possibly be any better than sticking your head over a factory smokestack and inhaling the fumes. If you absolutely want or need to ingest some ingredient that particular smoke contains, there are much better ways of delivering it to your system.

There may not be any cases of cancer from smoking pot, but that doesn't mean there aren't other negative effects.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
If there are, indeed, some health benefits to marijuana, then I highly suspect it's some specific chemical in it that provides the benefit. But inhaling it into your lungs can hardly be a safe way of ingesting it. Lungs are designed to inhale (fresh) air so as to deliver oxygen to your body. Any other use besides that is likely to have negative consequences. Inhaling smoke from a cigarette or joint cannot possibly be any better than sticking your head over a factory smokestack and inhaling the fumes. If you absolutely want or need to ingest some ingredient that particular smoke contains, there are much better ways of delivering it to your system.

There may not be any cases of cancer from smoking pot, but that doesn't mean there aren't other negative effects.
Actually, I am not talking about health benefits. Those are already documented, but that is outside of the scope of this discussion. I thought that just demonstrating that a lack of harm would be all that was needed to take it off of your moral no-no list? Maybe kind of like caffeine when used responsibly?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM

20,873 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Yes, "lack of harm" is good enough.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,932,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks

Your mind will be blown by the whole concept of a vaporizer. The entire premise of this thread falls apart if you use a vaporizer.

Honest question for wingers: Why do you always talk about personal choices and the need for less government intrusion, yet insist on dictating what other people do to their own body or insist on using the government to prevent them making some personal choices they'd like to make? I'm trying to understand the double standard. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:49 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yes, "lack of harm" is good enough.
In your opinion, do most other Christians feel that way, or are most of them immovable on this because of moral grounds?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM

25,449 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks
This article sets out some benefits of marijuana usage:
23 Health Benefits Of Marijuana - Business Insider

Treats glaucoma
Helps reverse carcinogenic effects of tobacco and improves lung health
Helps control epileptic seizures
Decreases the symptoms of a severe seizure disorder known as Dravet's Syndrome
A chemical found in marijuana stops cancer from spreading
It may decrease anxiety
THC slows the progression of Alzheimer's disease
The drug eases the pain of multiple sclerosis
Other types of muscle spasms could be helped too
It lessens side effects from treating hepatitis C and increases treatment effectiveness
Marijuana treats inflammatory bowel diseases
It relieves arthritis discomfort
It keeps you skinny and helps your metabolism
It improves the symptoms of Lupus, an autoimmune disorder
While not really a health benefit, marijuana spurs creativity in the brain
Marijuana might be able to help with Crohn's disease
Pot soothes tremors for people with Parkinson's disease
Marijuana helps veterans suffering from PTSD
Marijuana protects the brain after a stroke
It might protect the brain from concussions and trauma
It can help eliminate nightmares
Weed reduces some of the awful pain and nausea from chemo, and stimulates appetite
Marijuana can help people trying to cut back on drinking

You're welcome.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies