Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I do compliment you on keeping a solid liberal position on this. You seem to be consistent.
I don't consider it to be a liberal position. To be honest, it comes more from a (Christian) moral position than anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I don't consider it to be a liberal position. To be honest, it comes more from a (Christian) moral position than anything else.
That is interesting. I would like to ask you, if I may:

Can I assume that is because it is a sin to harm the temple that is your body?

If so, and it were proved to you that harm isn't an issue when used responsibly, would you change your position?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:05 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I saw a headline on CNN the other day (it was on in the gym, I would never intentionally watch it) and it was decrying Jeff Sessions stance on pot and how it would hurt the multi-billion dollar Pot Industry, but CNN would never, ever take a stand in support of the cigarette industry, and in fact are always against it (rightfully so), yet both pot smoking and cigarette smoking are carcinogenic. So CNN is anti Big Tobacco, but pro Big Pot. I don't understand the hypocrisy.
Please read this and educate yourself.... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

Quote:
Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:05 PM

30,263 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I don't think either one is cool. And we already have problems with folks driving while drunk, now the pro-pot folks want us all to have to deal with driving while stoned?? And don't say that can't cause deaths - I can point you to two families in my area who lost teenaged children to an idiot who was stoned AND drunk and slammed into the car they were riding in, killing 2 of the 4 occupants, all of whom were high school students.
I've been telling these idiots for years that I was hit by a stupid, useless mj smoker in 1999, and to this day, thanks to that pos who was HIGH while driving, I still suffer pain.

And just what do you think their response was? "uh...alcohol...look over there at the alcohol" and/or "that isn't possible". Except it was. It was very, very real.

To answer the OP: Because they are hypocrites. "I hate that! Make laws against it!!!!" Later: "I like this, how DARE you make laws against this!"

Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks

The double standard is one is known to be harmful and the other has not been well studied. The double standard is one is legal and the other is for the most part in the US criminal. The double standard is legislators happily accept $$$ from the tobacco lobby and keep cigarettes legal while they keep cannabis illegal.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:13 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I've been telling these idiots for years that I was hit by a stupid, useless mj smoker in 1999, and to this day, thanks to that pos who was HIGH while driving, I still suffer pain.
I am sorry for your ordeal.

I don't know why I am typing this, because I know you will reject it.

Back even before 1999, I worked with a girl who was mad at pot because her brother went for a drive in a rural part of the county in order to smoke some pot. During that drive, someone ran a stop sign and killed him.

I asked her if she had ever considered that since it was illegal, driving is one of the few places he could use it in private, and further, that if it had been legal he probably would have stayed home to do it that particular day.

She said she never thought of it that way, and maybe a new ray of light opened up in her mind. I would like to think so anyway. I know that in your case this is too much to ask for. But I would like to say that many of the problems attributed to the plant are really being caused by prohibition instead.

Just sayin'.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:16 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,105 times
The argument is that marijuana being legal and able to be researched is less harmful to society and less expensive than scheduling it with heroin and everything involved in enforcing prohibition.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks
You seem to believe that saying something should be legal is the same as saying something is good. They are not one in the same.

Also me advocating that weed should be legal does not mean I think you should be able to puff smoke into my face in a restaurant.

Weed gets the same rules as Cigs to me, and I have honestly never met anyone who thought differently.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:17 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,446,597 times
Quote:
I agree..however..I will point out that one need not smoke to use pot..either medicinally, or as a recreational intoxicant.

My 82 year old Mother..drinks an infusion of chamomile and pot...helped her ditch two pain meds..and a sleeping pill.

I love the occasional edible...better than alcohol--use responsibly--and I see no issues. Of course, don't drive when high or drunk.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That is interesting. I would like to ask you, if I may:

Can I assume that is because it is a sin to harm the temple that is your body?
I wouldn't put it in exactly those terms, but basically, yes. They're essentially a form of suicide, albeit a slow one. In general, Christianity aside, it's really really stupid to do something that's so demonstrably harmful to yourself. So, if it isn't banned, it should at least be highly discouraged (via very high taxes, etc).

Quote:
If so, and it were proved to you that harm isn't an issue when used responsibly, would you change your position?
I presume you're referring to pot. I suppose maybe it's possible science could someday confirm that smoking marijuana is truly not at all harmful, and if so I'd be happy to change my stance. In the meantime, you're going to have a very hard time convincing me that inhaling anything into your lungs besides fresh air isn't going to have some kind of long-term negative effect.

The usual rebuttal to my position is alcohol: There are actually proven health benefits to light or moderate amounts of alcohol, so that's why it's fine in my book (I'm a light drinker myself). Of course there is the opportunity for abuse and addiction, so it's something you just need to be careful with.

A possible further rebuttal to my response to the rebuttal are the active chemicals in cigarettes and marijuana, which, all by themselves, may have some moderate health benefits and few if no bad long-term effects. For instance, I read somewhere a couple years ago that nicotine, while certainly addictive, is actually an OK stimulant with some decent health benefits. The problem is that the preferred delivery method (cigarettes) are simply awful. Thus, I have no problem with nicotine gum, nicotine pills and (maybe) even vaping. The same might be true with whatever the active chemical in marijuana is, for all I know. So, while my stance may seem rather rigid, it's actually more nuanced than it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies