Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2018, 04:09 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Neither of you ever will. That is the result of having a closed mind.
No, you shouldn't put smoke in your lungs, period. It's not healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 PM

858 posts, read 707,878 times
no double standard in my eyes but i acknowledge the double standard in others. if we banned cigarettes like weed then we would have a war on tobacco, wasting billions of dollars, ruining lives, overcrowding prisons and courts...all for something people are going to do anyway. i saw legalize both, get the tax revenue and stop wasting time and money and ruining lives over it.

legalizing it still wont stop me from silently judging you for a horrible and disgusting habit and wasting your money on it

Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm trying to understand the double standard. Neo Progs detest cigarettes (rightfully so) but think pot smoking is the coolest, trendiest, hippest thing ever. They're both carcinogens, stink like crazy and are terrible for your body, yet leftists are staunch advocates for recreational pot everywhere and staunch advocates against cigarettes everywhere. So please, help me understand the disconnect. Thanks
Obviously, they're hypocrites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Cannabis has NOT been linked one iota with cancer.
Long term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adults.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516340/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Pot isn't a carcinogen and isn't terrible for your body.
Marijuana smoke contains about 50% more benzopyrene and nearly 75% more benzanthracene, both known carcinogens, than a comparable quantity of unfiltered tobacco smoke (Tashkin, 2013).

Marijuana contains more than 400 chemical compounds, of which 33 are known carcinogens.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I really just don't want to smell it. LOL.
BACk in the day of going to bars and clubs, you’d take a shower and that gross cigarette smell would wash down out of your hair and into your face. Egad!

I actually like the smell of pipes being smoked; although it’s rare to encounter that.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Hey everyone, don't bother with this thread. I just found another thread created by the same poster, asking the exact same question, from 2013. It has 445 replies.

Obviously, this poster is purely political and has no desire to find an answer.
Thanks.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No, you shouldn't put smoke in your lungs, period. It's not healthy.
Excellent reason to:

Enrich the black market and fund drug cartels.
Strip citizens of their career and damage their future prospects for a new one.
Imprison and seize the homes and cars of citizens who were productive assets to society.
Destroy families by stripping kids away from their parents.
Spend billions of dollars to fight a plant.
Place law enforcement officials in harm's way because of a plant.
Make the plant more glamorous and more available to kids who are showing off in front of their peers.
Fill our jails with non-violent criminals, causing the early release of violent ones.

http://druglawreform.info/images/sto...rohibition.pdf

Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Marijuana contains more than 400 chemical compounds, of which 33 are known carcinogens.
I challenge you to produce even ONE documented case of cancer caused by marijuana.

It's OK, I'll wait...

Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Smoking cigarettes is carcinogenic. Smoking pot is carcinogenic. Cigarette smoke reeks. Pot smoke reeks. Injesting cigarette smoke into your body is terrible for it. Injesting pot smoke into your body is terrible for it. The left decries cigarette smoke almost universally (rightfully so, its disgusting) but loudly celebrating and advocating for the legalization of recreational pot smoking almost universally. Why would more harmful intoxicants being made legal be a good thing, especially when you (not you specifically) are so adamantly opposed to a similar legal intoxicant?
I'm surprised you don't see the issue here, given what you've written. People decry tobacco while simultaneously arguing for marijuana legalization precisely because of the fact that one is legal and one is not. Additionally, tobacco has many documented ill-effects on your health, so people are discouraged from using it. Marijuana, on the other hand, is more of an unknown quantity, given the limited amount of research on it.

Cigarettes/tobacco = legal. Marijuana = illegal (federally). You're presenting them as equally bad for you, yet one is legal and one is not. Isn't it obvious why people are up in arms over legalization?

Given the facts as you've presented them, really the burden is on you to explain why you feel that tobacco should remain legal and marijuana illegal.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:25 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
I don't care if people do either, and maybe this is a less popular opinion, but I don't really care if they do it in public, in restaurants, whatever. I just do not care that much, people are such whiners about sh*t like that but in the long run you having to smell something you don't like for a few minutes just doesn't rate that high as a problem to me. People who p*** and moan about people doing it in their own homes are even worse, they are like the king snowflake mega whiners.

Old 01-10-2018, 04:27 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nah, stoners just want to get stoned.
I smoke it because it makes me faster and stronger - after a joint, I can run down the neighbour's antelope, with ease. Before a joint I can only lift one small box, but afterwards, I can lift two boxes, with ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies