Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, those are two rights granted by civil marriage law. If you do away with civil marriage, those rights go away.

(By the way, due to DOMA, those are two rights legally married straight people get, but legally married gay people don't get)
Those rights are not denied just because there is no civil marriage law.

Married people would be free to live with each other if they so choose.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post

You missed the point, military housing for married couples is a benefit that married people get that single people don't that comes from the federal government's money.

As for people who are foreigners that are able to stay here due to being legally married is another benefit that singles don't get. You don't get to be an American simply by dating an American, so those married foreigners would still need to be deported because they would no longer have the benefit that comes with being married.

I see you are willing to over look some benefits when it doesn't fit in with your story of getting rid of all forms of legally binding marriages.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:

You're dead wrong. I don't think you understand what civil marriage law does.

The only way a married person can sponsor his or her foreign born spouse for a spousal immigration visa is to get a federally recognized civil marriage (i.e. be straight and get a civil marriage license in any state). If you do away with marriage, then you do away with the legal avenue to bring foreign born spouses to the US. If you do away with marriage, you do away with that right.

In the military, only the wives and husbands of members get to live in base housing and shop at the base commissary. To get those rights, you must be in a federally recognized civil marriage (i.e. be straight and get a civil marriage license in any state). If you do away with marriage, then you do away with the legal avenue that keeps military families together.

Here's another one. I believe this is true in all 50 states (but I could be wrong in a few instances): Very few people can sue in court over the wrongful death of another person - it's limited to immediate (blood) family. The one exception is a person's spouse. In order to gain the ability to sue in court for the wrongful death of a spouse, you must be legally married. If you do away with civil marriage, then spouses will lose the right to sue for the wrongful death of their spouse.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times
I will start shaking, crying, screaming, popping Xanax like tic-tacs and drinking heavily before entering a vegetative state for several days. Other members of my family will do the same. I am following this very closely as my family was literally torn apart from the core by homosexuality. This country has been spiraling down a bottomless abyss of immorality for years. This will hasten the process. I highly doubt the Supreme Court will rule in favor of altering marriage to allow for homosexual marriage. Maybe California will have Prop 8 repealed or something, but that tomfoolery will not be forced on the rest of us.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You're dead wrong. I don't think you understand what civil marriage law does.

The only way a married person can sponsor his or her foreign born spouse for a spousal immigration visa is to get a federally recognized civil marriage (i.e. be straight and get a civil marriage license in any state). If you do away with marriage, then you do away with the legal avenue to bring foreign born spouses to the US. If you do away with marriage, you do away with that right.

In the military, only the wives and husbands of members get to live in base housing and shop at the base commissary. To get those rights, you must be in a federally recognized civil marriage (i.e. be straight and get a civil marriage license in any state). If you do away with marriage, then you do away with the legal avenue that keeps military families together.

Here's another one. I believe this is true in all 50 states (but I could be wrong in a few instances): Very few people can sue in court over the wrongful death of another person - it's limited to immediate (blood) family. The one exception is a person's spouse. In order to gain the ability to sue in court for the wrongful death of a spouse, you must be legally married. If you do away with marriage, then spouses will lose the right to sue for the wrongful death of their spouse.
I never once said do away with marriage. If 2 people wanna get married I could care less.

Military housing is not a benefit denied to single soldiers. So allowing a married soldier to live with their spouse is perfectly acceptable. And any member can shop at the PX. They don't ask for marital status. Housing and PX privileges are part of the contract and are granted to everyone in the military.

And spouses would still be able to bring wives/husbands here. Single people are also allowed to come here. You are talking about immigration law anyway.

And why couldn't a married person sue for wrongful death? I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to.

The government can and does recognize private contracts all the time. I see no reason why they can't recognize a private marriage contract.

Married people shouldn't get tax breaks is what I'm getting at. Just like parents shouldn't get tax breaks for being parents.

And marriage is a religious institution. Government should not regulate religion.

If you get the government out of marriage there is no controversy. If 2 gay people want to enter into a private contract that is their business. The fact that government is involved is what makes it controversial, not the marriage itself.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Lets get rid of government interference in marriage.

If you want equality that is the only way to do it.

Unless you wanna give the same benefits to singles.
Technically you are right, you never said get rid of marriage, you said get rid of government interference in marriage which is what I and hammertime33 are talking about while you dance around your own logic.

If you get rid of "government interference in marriage" you get rid of those benefits that spouses enjoy that were described to you.

Quote:
I never once said do away with marriage. If 2 people wanna get married I could care less.

Military housing is not a benefit denied to single soldiers. So allowing a married soldier to live with their spouse is perfectly acceptable. And any member can shop at the PX. They don't ask for marital status.

And spouses would still be able to bring wives/husbands here. Single people are also allowed to come here. You are talking about immigration law anyway.

And why couldn't a married person sue for wrongful death? I see no reason why they shouldn't be able to.

The government can and does recognize private contracts all the time. I see no reason why they can't recognize a private marriage contract.

Married people shouldn't get tax breaks is what I'm getting at. Just like parents shouldn't get tax breaks for being parents.

And marriage is a religious institution. Government should not regulate religion.
I am beginning to really question your age, your logic seems like you might be very young with a thin grasp on reality when it comes to the topic of marriage.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Technically you are right, you never said get rid of marriage, you said get rid of government interference in marriage which is what I and hammertime33 are talking about while you dance around your own logic.

If you get rid of "government interference in marriage" you get rid of those benefits that spouses enjoy that were described to you.

I am beginning to really question your age, your logic seems like you might be very young with a thin grasp on reality when it comes to the topic of marriage.
Yawn.

Those are benefits that everyone gets. Single and married.

The first government issued marriage license in the U.S. was issued in Shawnee, Kansas to John D. Skidmore and Arabella Z. Rice. Their marriage was performed on February 24, 1856 and the first marriage license was recorded on April 18, 1856.

But how did people get married before then. I mean, the government wasn't telling them it was okay and all.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Yawn.

Those are benefits that everyone gets. Single and married.

The first government issued marriage license in the U.S. was issued in Shawnee, Kansas to John D. Skidmore and Arabella Z. Rice. Their marriage was performed on February 24, 1856 and the first marriage license was recorded on April 18, 1856.

But how did people get married before then. I mean, the government wasn't telling them it was okay and all.
Yep, you have no idea what you are talking about. A single military person can live in military housing, their gf or bf cannot.

A foreigner cannot be a legalized American just by dating an American, but if they are legally bound to them through a marriage, then they can.

As for the first government issued marriage license, do you know what this country was like in 1856? Care to tell us the differences between 1856 and 2012? Maybe while you were Googling the first marriage license, you could of read up on the reason for creating a government issued marriage license.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Find out what Obombya's been doing to us while everybody's attention was diverted by this stupid issue.
oops misread that. If DOMA is struck down? Grieve the loss of a nation under God.
Yes. I'll try to influence my state legislature to preserve the natural order of life, with a man joined as one flesh with his wife.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:

Military housing is not a benefit denied to single soldiers. So allowing a married soldier to live with their spouse is perfectly acceptable. And any member can shop at the PX. They don't ask for marital status.
I'm not talking about housing for soldiers - I'm talking about housing for soldier's husbands and wives. I'm not talking about military members being able to shop at the PX and commissary - I'm talking about the ability of their husbands and wives to shop at the PX and commissary.

In both cases, the ability for the military member's non-military spouse to live on base or shop at the commissary is determined by the spouse being in a legal civil marriage with the military member. If you do away with civil marriage, then you do away with the means by which the spouses military members gain those privileges.

Quote:
I'm talking about immigration law in relation to civil marriage law. Americans can sponsor their legally married foreign spouse for a spousal immigration visa. That is a right granted by civil marriage law. You get that right by obtaining a civil marriage license. If you do away with civil marriage, then you do away with that right.

And do you know how hard it is for single people to come here who can't access that right? My best friend Ben is gay married to a man from the Czech Republic. If they were straight, Lucas would have had a spousal immigration visa for the last 5 years, and he and Ben would have been living in Seattle for the last 5 years. Since they are gay, Ben is not legally allowed to get Lucas a spousal immigration visa. Lucas has applied for an immigration visa for the last 5 years (via the immigration lottery - his only option), and his number hasn't been picked yet. It probably never will. If you do away with civil marriage, you do away with spousal immigration visas for all Americans (not just the gay ones like the system does now).

Quote:
That's a really simple answer. Because the only way a non-blood family member obtains the ability to sue for wrongful death is to obtain a civil marriage license. If you do away with civil marriage, then you completely get rid of the mechanism for anybody other than a blood relative to sue.

Quote:

Because then anybody and claim they were married. If I want free housing, I just have my buddy who joined the military claim that we're privately married. If I want to make some money, I just follow the obituaries and file a wrongful death lawsuit every time somebody dies claiming we were married in our private life. Lets say I want to get 10 terrorists into the country. I just tell the US government I'm married to all 10 and to let them into the country (if there is no Government involvement in marriage at all and they just recognize private marriages, there's nothing stopping me from having an unlimited number of private marriages, right?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies