Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If DOMA is struck down......
Nothing. I would not even notice. Gay marriage does not even make my top 100 list of important issues.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,411,375 times
Absolutely nothing will change for me or mine. Having said that - I think the constitution would (and should) be upheld.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
I just love the whining about tax revenues and social security benefits. Why is it okay for you to get benefits while other people who are paying the same do not receive those same benefits? Why is it okay for you to pay lower taxes while forcing others to pay higher tax rates just because of who they happen to sleep with?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I just love the whining about tax revenues and social security benefits. Why is it okay for you to get benefits while other people who are paying the same do not receive those same benefits? ?
Why is it OK for you to destroy the system for all of us, including yourself?

Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yawn.

Again with all your silly hypotheticals.

You just can't imagine the state giving up power over your life even for something as minor as a private contract.

I sure am glad the state is there for everything. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to function.
Hypotheticals? What hypotheticals have I been using? You sure do seem to use terms you don't understand often (see your accusation of circular logic earlier).

And why won't you answer my question instead of attacking me?

You said that you want no government recognition of marriage at all - that you want government out of marriage entirely. To that I said, well, then you'd be getting rid of the rights that the government created and confers in relation to civil marriage (spousal immigration visas, military benefits for spouses like housing and PX access, the ability to sue for wrongful death over the wrongful death of your spouse, etc).

To that you responded that no, we wouldn't be getting rid of those rights: government would in fact be involved in marriage in that the government would recognize and continue to confer those rights to married people who would show that they are married with a private marriage contract (such as being married in a church). I then asked if the government would acknowledge all private marriage contracts and just take people at their word that they have one. You said: no, they won't acknowledge any marriage you just tell them is a marriage - like any contract they won't recognize one that isn't legitimate.

Again I'll ask - how does your system of private marriage contracts, not all of which are recognized by the government, but that still come with governments benefits work, and work in a way such that government is not involved? What standards does the government use to decide which marriages to recognize and which to not recognize in your marriage system of private contracts with no government involvement? Who comes up with these government standards used to decide which marriages to recognize and not recognize in your marriage system of private contracts with no government involvement? What government agents review and enforce these government standards used to decide which marriages are recognized and not recognized in your marriage system of private contracts with no government involvement?

Do you see how silly you sound? Your system of private marriage contracts without government involvement that still confers government benefits requires government involvement. Your system requires some sort of civil marriage law.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,270,641 times
i'll be very happy cant wait to see the face of old bigots if it goes through haha

Old 03-28-2013, 08:19 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I just love the whining about tax revenues and social security benefits. Why is it okay for you to get benefits while other people who are paying the same do not receive those same benefits? Why is it okay for you to pay lower taxes while forcing others to pay higher tax rates just because of who they happen to sleep with?
Why are single people still gonna be denied those benefits if DOMA is overturned?

If this was really about equality then it would be about getting everyone the same benefits regardless of marital status.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Yawn.

Again with all your silly hypotheticals.

You just can't imagine the state giving up power over your life even for something as minor as a private contract.

I sure am glad the state is there for everything. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to function.
You clearly have no idea how laws work and are way too young to be married or even understand marriage. So you keep believing in your crazy notions of marriage because no girl is ever gonna marry you if you think like that.

But again for fun, start in your hometown and see what the locals think about getting rid of marriage licenses and see how that goes for you. I would actually make a trip to Ohio to watch that cause it would be funny.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Life will carry on, but bigots will keep ranting because striking down DOMA affects them personally...some..how...
I'm assuming you don't count Bill Clinton as one of those bigots? You know, the one that signed DOMA into law?

Liberals are all strangely silent on that little fact. As well as the one that Obama supported it up until about a year ago. No doubt, they're desperately trying to figure out how to blame this on the GOP with regards to history. Kind of like they try to change history about civil rights, etc.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Why are single people still gonna be denied those benefits if DOMA is overturned?

If this was really about equality then it would be about getting everyone the same benefits regardless of marital status.
It's called the benefit of marriage, but don't worry you can have your private marriage and never have to get a government contract for marriage if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies