Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Actually the vagina is internal and there are more words for the other parts. Are we going there with the anatomy lessons as well? How about *******, testicles, and all the male parts too. This should make the kids all obsessed so they are wanting to show off all their cool parts all over the neighborhood. Maybe to that quiet guy Jeb that moved into the run down apartment down the block.
Ridiculous, and somewhat odd you would take basic anatomy lessons to that level! Look, I knew all the "proper" names for my body parts at a young age, and it didn't make me go show them to anyone. Some kids do play "I'll show you mine if you show me yours," but that is usually between two children and will happen regardless of what they're taught to call these parts.

Bottom line, this was a school board decision made for Chicago schools... so if you have a young child attending school there, and don't like the proposed lessons, you're free to remove your child from that class period. The original story states this very clearly.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Well, obviously they put it in the title of the play.
So what? Again, it is about empowering women and women being unashamed of their sexuality... and since it's a play aimed at an adult audience, I'm not really sure what it has to do with this topic.

For the last time, how does my saying that I have a vagina reduce me to "defining" myself as a vagina? I also have ears, does that mean I reduce women to an ear?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Ridiculous, and somewhat odd you would take basic anatomy lessons to that level! Look, I knew all the "proper" names for my body parts at a young age, and it didn't make me go show them to anyone. Some kids do play "I'll show you mine if you show me yours," but that is usually between two children and will happen regardless of what they're taught to call these parts.

Bottom line, this was a school board decision made for Chicago schools... so if you have a young child attending school there, and don't like the proposed lessons, you're free to remove your child from that class period. The original story states this very clearly.
Yup.. the I will show you mind is one sick way to get them started.. and they will have the adult names too. Nice to see how the libs want the kids to progress by giving them adult words to say about sexual organs.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
That play did not empower me one bit. Please. The only reason it was so big was because of the name. There you go, adults making a big deal over a word, most of those adults being liberals.
Oh, so you took a poll of every woman who saw and enjoyed the play - and deduced through your statistical data that they're "mostly liberals?" Please show us that data, or admit you're just talking from your nether regions. I mean, your rectal cavity.

I actually haven't seen the entire play, but have seen excerpts and know what it is about... what I do know is that it doesn't "degrade women" or reduce them to a body part, despite what Taratova might believe.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yup.. the I will show you mind is one sick way to get them started.. and they will have the adult names too. Nice to see how the libs want the kids to progress by giving them adult words to say about sexual organs.
Right, because if they call it a "hoo hoo" instead of a vagina, they will never show any curiosity about their bodies. Okay, if you say so!

Not only do I doubt you have children, but I'm wondering if you've ever even met one. And for the record, kids have been playing those games since before my PARENTS were born - and they do it on their own, so nobody "gets them started." The fact you would take that from my comment is disturbing, come to think of it.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Apparently you either don't read what I've posted or you have a comprehension problem, i never said anything bad about public schools, all I've said is that 5 year old children don't need this, their time would be better spent by learning the basics like reading. reading is the key to an education. it's really a simple concept if you think about it. You can argue until you turn blue but kids are lacking the basics and until that is fixed adding senseless classes is a waste of time.
You may have a point about teaching the basics of reading and writing, as displayed by the horrible grammar/spelling of some posters here - but anatomy also falls under the category of general (science) education, right? Is anatomy not a science?

That's why I asked if you had a problem with public schooling... you said "the schools shouldn't be raising our children for us," and I don't see how teaching biology and anatomy = raising children. Those are general knowledge topics, so if you have an issue with that, you must not be a fan of schooling overall. Get it now?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:56 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
They are in kindergarten to learn about school stuff and to get along together in preparation for first grade.

Why should they have to learn and be expected to use these official anatomical terms... at 4/5 years old...Why? It's not shameful to know those words but also totally unnecessary to teach them to kids that age, it's just pointless unless there is another agenda, and we all know there is another agenda.

It really does hit the pervert level and IMO is abusive to start this with these babies.
I know why they're in kindergarten, I spend every morning in the classroom feeding them breakfast.

And, listening to all their interactions. It's not "totally unnecessary". They're already well aware of all their parts at that age.

They are way past just learning about "school stuff" in kindergarten these days. They read and write, learn about all sorts of things, keep journals, learn about metamorphosis and - keep rabbits and gerbils. I don't know about where you live but the kids in our kindergarten are 5/6, and it is at the elementary school.

Sounds like you're thinking about Pre School.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Quote:
When, in what context are these young children supposed to be using the terms? Is it going to be a daily thing to talk about a little boy's penis in class? Why is it necessary to teach anatomy to four year olds? If Mom says it's a pee pee then it's a pee pee.
I've got a kid in first grade, and I know for a fact that they really don't talk much about anatomy.

However, growing up, we never babied her with terms. We always used more adult terms and spoke to her as if she were an adult. Helps with her development. Therefore, if they wanted to teach her the proper terms for penis and vagina, then I'd have no issue with it. If she came forward and asked me or her mother, we'd gladly explain it to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies