Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should gays be allowed to coach
yes they should 103 68.21%
no they should not 24 15.89%
Louisiana hot sauce is superior to franks hot sauce 24 15.89%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 AM

32 posts, read 102,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Then keep your kids from exercising in school. No one wants to smell B.O. all day. If you want to have a stinky child and a stinky home, knock yourself out. Just stop knocking the rest of us out with your pungent odor. It's not an unreasonable request.

So basically you are in favor of undressing children around predatory adults because of some B.O that would hardly be noticeable really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd!83 View Post
So basically you are in favor of undressing children around predatory adults because of some B.O that would hardly be noticeable really.
Not saying I agree with that idea (I don't really), but if a teacher is even suspected of being "predatory" they shouldn't be working there in the first place! Or do you think ALL adults are predators?

Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Meg Christian - Ode To A Gym Teacher (short version) - YouTube

Levity aside, gym class is a time of absolute terror for vulnerable kids, particularly gays. Being terrorized in gym class has led to an uncountable number of suicides among gay and otherwise vulnerable kids. I would imagine that having a gay instructor would tend to reduce the bullying inflicted upon such kids. And gay instructors would surely be less likely than straight or closeted instructors to be be bullies themselves.

Most people, especially women, are bisexual to one degree or another. So, even if they are "straight" and married, there is a possibility that instructors may be excited by the sight of students' bodies. So, having overt gays as instructors differs only in the openness of the instructor's orientation. I'm thinking the gay teacher will likely be more guarded and better-behaved than would a straight or closeted one.

But really... I'd much rather be leered-at by a teacher (not that this is likely to happen) than be physically attacked by other students. Gym class is a horrible ordeal for a lot of kids. If anything, I think a gay gym teacher is likely to be better at stopping the torture of vulnerable kids in gym class.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Lesbians only coach males.......gay males only coach females.
So, conversely: Straight males only coach males, and straight females only coach females?

In both my PE classes and private athletic endeavors, I had every combination of adults coaching me - straight male & female, along with gay male & female. None were ever an issue for me or my parents, in terms of feeling inappropriate or uncomfortable. Why would they be? I bet half (or more) of the posters here had a gay teacher and/or coach, and didn't even know it.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Levity aside, gym class is a time of absolute terror for vulnerable kids, particularly gays. Being terrorized in gym class has led to an uncountable number of suicides among gay and otherwise vulnerable kids. I would imagine that having a gay instructor would tend to reduce the bullying inflicted upon such kids. And gay instructors would surely be less likely than straight or closeted instructors to be be bullies themselves.

Most people, especially women, are bisexual to one degree or another. So, even if they are "straight" and married, there is a possibility that instructors may be excited by the sight of students' bodies. So, having overt gays as instructors differs only in the openness of the instructor's orientation. I'm thinking the gay teacher will likely be more guarded and better-behaved than would a straight or closeted one.

But really... I'd much rather be leered-at by a teacher (not that this is likely to happen) than be physically attacked by other students. Gym class is a horrible ordeal for a lot of kids. If anything, I think a gay gym teacher is likely to be better at stopping the torture of vulnerable kids in gym class.
You'll probably catch slack from some people for saying all of this, but I think it's a very insightful and truthful post.

Gym class was pretty awful for me at times, due to my weight problems (which started around puberty, despite being a competitive figure skater then). I remember one kid in particular, who would pace me during our lap-running, and whisper nasty things in my ear - like "fat pig," "you're gross," etc. I never really complained or mentioned anything to the teachers, but the male teacher eventually realized what was happening... and thanks to my 5-10+ hours of ice skating every week, he was able to offer me a pass for the rest of high school. I ended up helping in his office during PE hours, so it was a win-win situation for both of us. He was pretty awesome.

Recently I was looking back at my old yearbooks, and came across a picture of that boy who harassed me. Guess what? He was much chubbier than I was!! Funny how I never noticed that at the time, but now I realize he was probably just compensating for his own insecurities - as is typical of bullies.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:59 AM

32 posts, read 102,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not saying I agree with that idea (I don't really), but if a teacher is even suspected of being "predatory" they shouldn't be working there in the first place! Or do you think ALL adults are predators?

I've been a student at a school that hired a man as a P.E coach that worked there solely to look at kids. Not only that but he slept with a few of them.He's been fired since. My views on this are firm and perhaps not fair. But when it comes to undressing kids around others, it should not be the schools decision. Forcing them to is down right egregious.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I've been a student at a school that hired a man as a P.E coach that worked there solely to look at kids. Not only that but he slept with a few of them.He's been fired since. My views on this are firm and perhaps not fair. But when it comes to undressing kids around others, it should not be the schools decision. Forcing them to is down right egregious.
Well, hopefully your experience isn't typical... and while I know not all crimes are reported and/or convicted, they do conduct thorough background checks on teachers.

That being said, I actually agree with you about the showering thing. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think the best solution is a blanket "no teachers in locker rooms/showers" rule.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
public schools can't make kids shower these days to my knowledge
Quote:
My niece that is 13 years old told me today that her track coach is a lesbian. She also told me that said coach encourages her and her teammates to shower after practice, but some of the girls don't shower because the coaches sexuality makes them uncomfortable.
That's a stretch of wording and imagination, in the OP {encourage} and now {make}

sheesh.

why are we not shocked? Not all teachers/clergy are pedophiles, not all clergy/school teachers who might be gay/lesbian want little children,
If I were you, I'd put away that big broad brush and stop painting everyone with it.

HOMOPHOBIA:

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 04-05-2013 at 02:33 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 03:02 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
He was hired to solely to look at students??? Was he straight or gay?

I can only wonder about the job description:

Unique position available for a PE teacher. Must have a strong interest in "looking" at kids. The candidate may be required to sleep with a few of the students. Must have at least 5 years experience and supporting documentation/references as to their ability to fulfill the position. Only those passionate about "looking" at students and a willingness to sleep with students need apply.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
My niece that is 13 years old told me today that her track coach is a lesbian. She also told me that said coach encourages her and her teammates to shower after practice, but some of the girls don't shower because the coaches sexuality makes them uncomfortable.
Simple solution tell your niece that she or a group of players should talk to the lesbian and just tell her straight up they feel uncomfortable showering. That as a person they think she is great and a good coach and they would appreciate if she stay clear of the showering area. Most likely the lesbian would have no problem and think a lot of the girls for talking to her instead of making a production about it and getting others involved. I think that is a kinder approach instead of making rules and posting signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies