Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 11:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Gun regulations should address the gun training issue....not schools.

The schools aren't handing out sex organs or sex drives.....kids are born with them.

That said, I am tiring of this silly comparison.
As are others with the nanny state. I noticed you also skipped my post about the influence the government is having in subsidizing teen pregnancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
mmm i feel ya on that one..i have an idea..people don't like it..but you have to have a certain IQ/financial ability to have a child..end of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The government tells them that when they get pregnant you will get a check from the government. Have another and we will get you free housing and a bigger check.

So how about this idea?

Have one kid, the state helps you with financial assistance. For each additional kid, your assistance gets cut in half.

One mistake I can understand. After that, they should really stop.
It's not just parents sending the wrong message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nah, the main user is going to be the party girls that can't get on the pill because they don't want their parents to know.

They will accomodate the guy who won't want to wear a condom and will just take the pill instead.

This will be the more typical usage scenario, not that there is anything wrong with it.

I would expect a sligth uptick in STD's as a result but that's their problem.

My only concern would be if it's being abused as it's meant to be an "ooops" type remedy. With no doctor involvment I can 100% see girls taking this on a regular basis because their boyfriend doesn't want to wear a condom and they don't want to get on birthcontrol and alert their parents.

I went to school with kids that absolutely would have done this. Maybe there is no problem if you are taking it every few days.

Otherwise, it's sure as heck better than an abortion or unwanted kid.
I totally agree with you about who the likely user will be. The only thing I don't agree with is that it would be taken every few days. You can only get pregnant once a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But it's those at the bottom of the barrel that end up have 2-3 kids before they are 20 and on welfare.
OK so how about THIS idea? Put those pills into the drinking water!

Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 AM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I totally agree with you about who the likely user will be. The only thing I don't agree with is that it would be taken every few days. You can only get pregnant once a month.
I'm assuming that these kids aren't exactly the "best and the brightest" with regards to taking the pill appropriately.

Also wondering about possible drug interactions. A number of these kids will probably be playing around with oxy, ectasy etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm assuming that these kids aren't exactly the "best and the brightest" with regards to taking the pill appropriately.

Also wondering about possible drug interactions. A number of these kids will probably be playing around with oxy, ectasy etc.
Stop your wondering. The company that makes this pill says 15 years old is quite capable of making the right decisions. They have studies to prove it.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Common sense prevails. Who would have thought?

"A federal judge in Brooklyn, New York, has ordered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to make the morning-after birth control pill available to people of any age without a prescription. . . . The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommended last year that oral contraceptives be sold over the counter in an effort to reduce the number of unintended pregnancies in the United States. Opponents of prescription requirements say prescriptions can delay access to the drug."
Judge orders morning-after pill available without prescription - CNN.com'

The judge also accused Health and Human Services secretary Kathleen Sebelius' overruling of the FDA's recommendation in 2011 that the morning-after pill be made universally available over-the counter as "politically motivated, scientifically unjustified, and contrary to agency precedent.”
Let's enable all young girls to become whores....

common sense prevails.....

Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Funny thing is that pill has been available since 2006 to 17 and over and it hasn't caused any drastic drop in unwed teen mothers.

And it's $50 at Walgreens/CVS but the Plan B website has a coupon for $5 off.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As are others with the nanny state. I noticed you also skipped my post about the influence the government is having in subsidizing teen pregnancy.
I don't like subsidizing teen pregnancy, or adult pregnancy for that matter, any more than you do.

But, since we live the the United States, don't expect society to allow children to beg in the streets or starve just because their parents are fools.

Sex education, easy access to birth control and MAP are going to reduce teen pregnancies.....your plan is just going to continue the status quo.

That is why I just don't understand people like you. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Do you want less teen pregnancies or not?

And, if, as a parent, you want total control......how about you financially support your teen if they do end up pregnant.....no food stamps.....no welfare.....YOU take responsibility and pay for that grandchild until and if your your teens are able to support them on their own.....without taxpayer money. And that means until your grandchild is 18 if necessary.

I am tired of parents whining about government interference while at the same time taking their kid down to sign up for government benefits.

Last edited by Annie53; 05-02-2013 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I don't like subsidizing teen pregnancy, or adult pregnancy for that matter, any more than you do.

But, since we live the the United States, don't expect society to allow children to beg in the streets or starve just because their parents are fools.

Sex education, easy access to birth control and MAP are going to reduce teen pregnancies.....your plan is just going to continue the status quo.

That is why I just don't understand people like you. Why cut your nose off to spite your face?

Do you want less teen pregnancies or not?

And, if, as a parent, you want total control......how about you financially support your teen if they do end up pregnant.....no food stamps.....no welfare.....YOU take responsibility and pay for that grandchild until and if your your teens are able to support them on their own.....without taxpayer money. And that means until your grandchild is 18 if necessary.

I am tired of parents whining about government interference while at the same time taking their kid down to sign up for government benefits.
Those 3 items..education, birth control and morning after pill have been available for years and has not significantly reduced teen pregnancies.

You're acting as if this is just being initiated this year or something.

Plan B has been available since 2006.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those 3 items..education, birth control and morning after pill have been available for years and has not significantly reduced teen pregnancies.

You're acting as if this is just being initiated this year or something.

Plan B has been available since 2006.
For women over the age of 18.

Requiring a teen to inform a parent and see a doctor to get MAP was a significant roadblock.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
For women over the age of 18.

Requiring a teen to inform a parent and see a doctor to get MAP was a significant roadblock.
17, not 18.

And NYC schools have been giving it out since 2011 to children as young as 14.
NYC has an automatic opt in program and the parents have to opt out their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies