Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
17, not 18.

And NYC schools have been giving it out since 2011 to children as young as 14.
NYC has an automatic opt in program and the parents have to opt out their kids.
Yes, I meant 18 or older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, I meant 18 or older.
No, it's been available to 17 and older.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times
Quote:
I don't like subsidizing teen pregnancy, or adult pregnancy for that matter, any more than you do.

But, since we live the the United States, don't expect society to allow children to beg in the streets or starve just because their parents are fools.
So anything we subsidize will continue to grow pills or no pills.

Quote:
Sex education, easy access to birth control and MAP are going to reduce teen pregnancies.....your plan is just going to continue the status quo.
We had none of those when we were younger (we both have agreed to that) and yet we did not have these problems. Yes, we had 17-18 year olds getting pregnant and getting married but we did not have 14-15-16 year olds getting pregnant.

I'm not against those things in general but they are not the answer.

Quote:
That is why I just don't understand people like you. Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Do you want less teen pregnancies or not?
More so than you it would seem.

Quote:
And, if, as a parent, you want total control......how about you financially support your teen if they do end up pregnant.....no food stamps.....no welfare.....YOU take responsibility and pay for that grandchild until and if your your teens are able to support them on their own.....without taxpayer money. And that means until your grandchild is 18 if necessary.
It should be that way.

Quote:
I am tired of parents whining about government interference while at the same time taking their kid down to sign up for government benefits.
This is a generalization based upon nothing outside of your preconceived notions.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So anything we subsidize will continue to grow pills or no pills.

We had none of those when we were younger (we both have agreed to that) and yet we did not have these problems. Yes, we had 17-18 year olds getting pregnant and getting married but we did not have 14-15-16 year olds getting pregnant.

I'm not against those things in general but they are not the answer.

More so than you it would seem.

It should be that way.

This is a generalization based upon nothing outside of your preconceived notions.
What is your answer? Other than wishing and hoping the "good old days" will come back? We have to deal with the here and now.

Generalization? Do teen moms go on welfare or don't they? Isn't that what you are complaining about?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
What is your answer? Other than wishing and hoping the "good old days" will come back? We have to deal with the here and now.
The first thing we should do is make the idea of teen pregnancy as something bad again. I have no false idea that will ever happen though so we will continue to subsidize it and it will continue to grow.

Quote:
Generalization? Do teen moms go on welfare or don't they? Isn't that what you are complaining about?
Am I also not arguing that we should quit subsidizing it?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Wow, this thread really grew since I went to work this morning. Now I'm home, and I stopped trying to multi-quote a while back. However, I do have a few things to say.

Quote:
Those 3 items..education, birth control and morning after pill have been available for years and has not significantly reduced teen pregnancies.

You're acting as if this is just being initiated this year or something.

Plan B has been available since 2006.
This is totally untrue. The teen pregnancy rate is at its lowest ever.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db89.pdf

Quote:
17, not 18.

And NYC schools have been giving it out since 2011 to children as young as 14.
NYC has an automatic opt in program and the parents have to opt out their kids.
It has only been OTC at 17+ for a short time. You're sounding like a broken record with this NYC schools stuff. We get it.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The first thing we should do is make the idea of teen pregnancy as something bad again. I have no false idea that will ever happen though so we will continue to subsidize it and it will continue to grow.

Am I also not arguing that we should quit subsidizing it?
I agree with you about that. Teen moms and dads should be portrayed as losers, PC or not, as far as I am concerned.

Not subsidizing teen pregnancy is never going to happen.....so we have to concentrate on doing everything we can to prevent it.....it's the only viable avenue we have.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's really not the problem. A woman getting pregnant at 19 is certainly not the problem a teen getting pregnant at 15 is.

We should also note, that is not saying anything about the number of pregnancies but rather the birth rate.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow, this thread really grew since I went to work this morning. Now I'm home, and I stopped trying to multi-quote a while back. However, I do have a few things to say.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db89.pdf

It has only been OTC at 17+ for a short time. You're sounding like a broken record with this NYC schools stuff. We get it.
Since 2006. Is 7 years considered a short time in the medical field ?
It's changed since 2006 with lowering of age not needing a prescription.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
That's really not the problem. A woman getting pregnant at 19 is certainly not the problem a teen getting pregnant at 15 is.

We should also note, that is not saying anything about the number of pregnancies but rather the birth rate.
What a way to twist a positive statistic. Of course the teen pregnancy rate is a problem! The vast, vast, vast majority of these young ladies aren't married, meaning they will be on welfare. Only a small number of them are high school graduates, and more than 50% will not have graduated from high school by age 22.

I don't feel like searching all day through Google for the stats, but I do know the pregnancy rate as well as the birth rate has gone down. The teen abortion rate has dropped too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies