Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Wow, this thread really grew since I went to work this morning. Now I'm home, and I stopped trying to multi-quote a while back. However, I do have a few things to say.

This is totally untrue. The teen pregnancy rate is at its lowest ever.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db89.pdf

It has only been OTC at 17+ for a short time. You're sounding like a broken record with this NYC schools stuff. We get it.
That's just comparing US to US over time. Compare us to other first world countries though and we don't look so good. In fact we look downright horrible with our huge numbers and we are not making great progress when compared to other first world countries.

IUDs, Implants Urged For Teen Girls' Birth Control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I agree with you about that. Teen moms and dads should be portrayed as losers, PC or not, as far as I am concerned.
So we agree again.

Quote:
Not subsidizing teen pregnancy is never going to happen.....so we have to concentrate on doing everything we can to prevent it.....it's the only viable avenue we have.
Not to sound defeatist but it's not going to happen. It's not even addressing the complete picture. Even if there is no baby doesn't mean there is no STD or long term problems because of repeated interruptions of a pregnancy.

Another idea that you touched on. We attach the wages of men who father kids perhaps we should do the same to the parents whose kids we are subsidizing.

I am not one to blame parents for every teen pregnancy. A parent can do everything right and their kid still might get pregnant but all the same, maybe they should be held responsible for a little more of the costs.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's just comparing US to US over time. Compare us to other first world countries though and we don't look so good. In fact we look downright horrible with our huge numbers and we are not making great progress when compared to other first world countries.

IUDs, Implants Urged For Teen Girls' Birth Control
Well, no, but that is not the issue here, is it? You want to start a "comparative teen pregnancy rate" thread, go right ahead. You said all this education, etc has not had a significant effect on the teen pregnancy rate over the years and that is totally UNTRUE!

Now, correlation does not equal causation. We can't say if education, etc, has caused the drop in teen pregnancy rates. But we can say it's happened, and at very significant rates in 47 states. (Check my link.)

Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What a way to twist a positive statistic. Of course the teen pregnancy rate is a problem! The vast, vast, vast majority of these young ladies aren't married, meaning they will be on welfare. Only a small number of them are high school graduates, and more than 50% will not have graduated from high school by age 22.

I don't feel like searching all day through Google for the stats, but I do know the pregnancy rate as well as the birth rate has gone down. The teen abortion rate has dropped too.
You are the one misrepresenting what the stats say. Again, the stats say births are down, not pregnancies but I realize it's too much trouble for you to actually present the numbers you claim are the facts.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They're for sale in drug stores.
Ummm, sale.

So, you'd rather pay for welfare and other services for 18 years for someone rather than having them not be pregnant.
Now there's a brilliant idea.
Don't whine about welfare for those living.
An even more brilliant idea would be to not have sex without protection until you can afford a child.

Cue the liberals.........."but kids will always have sex", "sometimes birth control doesn't work", "you hate poor people and I demand that you apologize for hating them".

Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are the one misrepresenting what the stats say. Again, the stats say births are down, not pregnancies but I realize it's too much trouble for you to actually present the numbers you claim are the facts.
Facts on American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health
Teen Pregnancy Rate, Teen Abortion Rate in U.S.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Let's note.......You can't pick one year and make any sort of conclusion.

•Teens are waiting longer to have sex than they did in the recent past. In 2006–2008, some 11% of never-married females aged 15–19 and 14% of never-married males that age had had sex before age 15, compared with 19% and 21%, respectively, in 1995.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So we agree again.

Not to sound defeatist but it's not going to happen. It's not even addressing the complete picture. Even if there is no baby doesn't mean there is no STD or long term problems because of repeated interruptions of a pregnancy.

Another idea that you touched on. We attach the wages of men who father kids perhaps we should do the same to the parents whose kids we are subsidizing.

I am not one to blame parents for every teen pregnancy. A parent can do everything right and their kid still might get pregnant but all the same, maybe they should be held responsible for a little more of the costs.
I wouldn't have a problem with that.....but that's another thing that is never going to happen.

There is nothing wrong with trying to change peoples views, especially teens, about casual sex.....but, in the meantime.....we need to keep providing better and easily accesable safety nets......education, easy access BC, MAP, etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have a problem with that.....but that's another thing that is never going to happen.

There is nothing wrong with trying to change peoples views, especially teens, about casual sex.....but, in the meantime.....we need to keep providing better and easily accesable safety nets......education, easy access BC, MAP, etc.
IUDs and implants is what some are proposing now.
Kids are just not responsible enough at that young age.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:

I'm fine with that but not behind my back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies