Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Heh. Blacks make up about 8% of baseball now and are dropping. Obama will probably propose some legislation to increase the ranks.
Baseball is an international sport that takes in people from all over the world. Who cares how much any one race makes up baseball, it is all about talent.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:52 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Most white people alive today had not a damn thing to do with Jim Crow, racism during those times. We've all read and heard the stories a gazillion times. The vast majority I'm sure are glad things aren't like that any more. I agree there seems to be a hollywood trend lately with these constant reminders of race issues of the past (Django Unchained, The Help, etc...). It is time to take the conversation elsewhere and until we do, race is always going to remain an issue.
All you have to do is read this forum to realize that race will always be an issue, no matter what is conversed about or where that conversation goes.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:56 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
I don't see how you get the white's only gated community thing. I think everyone should be left to make their own choice and not be forced to do anything with anyone they don't want to. Try making a black only or white only school and it gets shut down,sued,thrown in jail for "discrimination" or some other bull crap.You act like only whites wanted to be left to themselves..I guarantee blacks wanted the same thing...do a favor to yourself go look and see who was behind the "civil rights" movement..It wasn't blacks bankrolling it or behind the scenes pulling the strings.

Babe Ruth by his stats was a great player,can you say the same for JR? Like I said show me his stats.
Your retrograde comments and sentiments are exactly why movies about Jackie Robinson's pioneering entry into the all-white big leagues some 65 years ago are still relevant today. Thank you for making a case for the value of "42".

Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,594,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Baseball is an international sport that takes in people from all over the world. Who cares how much any one race makes up baseball, it is all about talent.
I agree. Bud Selig however and many talking heads constantly ***** about not enough blacks in baseball.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I agree. Bud Selig however and many talking heads constantly ***** about not enough blacks in baseball.
As I've pointed out, black folks are well-represented in baseball. But I do believe that there should be more of an effort to reacquaint African Americans with the American pastime that they have contributed so much to.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Im not missing the point, I dont like propoganda. The real hero is the man who took a chance on Jackie Robinson. That is the man who made it happen, Jackie Robinson was right place right time. I like accomplishment, not Hollywood fantasy and sensationalism. I think Jackies accomplishments off of the baseball diamond were far more intriguing and would make for a better movie.
I am really tired of the belittlement and marginalization going on here. It implies that integration and equality has to be bestowed by white men in power? What a pathetic comment. Yes, Branch Rickey was instrumental to give Jackie the opportunity, but the man had to go out and perform, and more importantly, stay calm and not lash out at all the hostility that would follow. That is the truly amazing thing. And he paid a really bad price for it - had diabetes and other health problems, probably influenced by from all the stress of having to deal with it. That's courage.

Look, if you don't like the movie, don't watch it!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Jackie Robinson only played in the MLB from 1947-1956. He didn't even have 10 years. If he had the chance in 1940, his statistics would have been different.
He went to UCLA, then served in the military during WWII, where he had to deal with the segregation and racist sentiments in the Army.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
He went to UCLA, then served in the military during WWII, where he had to deal with the segregation and racist sentiments in the Army.
Check out the story of how he got into it in 1944 when he, in full uniform with his lieutenant's bars, tried to get onto a bus and the redneck driver ordered him to the back. He refused because 1. As a human being and an American citizen and serviceman, he didn't think he should have had to sit in the back of any bus and 2. Bus segregation on U.S. military bases had been outlawed.

He actually inadvertently avoided combat with his 761st Tank Battalion because he was put in the stockade and court-martialed (he was not convicted of anything).

Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
I am really tired of the belittlement and marginalization going on here. It implies that integration and equality has to be bestowed by white men in power? What a pathetic comment. Yes, Branch Rickey was instrumental to give Jackie the opportunity, but the man had to go out and perform, and more importantly, stay calm and not lash out at all the hostility that would follow. That is the truly amazing thing. And he paid a really bad price for it - had diabetes and other health problems, probably influenced by from all the stress of having to deal with it. That's courage.

Look, if you don't like the movie, don't watch it!
It is apparent the reason so many people are bashing this film. Some people are bashing this film out of an irrational hatred(and a thinly veiled one). Some people calling it "propaganda" or "divisive", well I can think of reason for this. I would say it comes from prejudice.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
That too. I was bringing up the fact that before Jackie Robinson, Blacks were not being drafted into the majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies