Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM

349 posts, read 261,084 times

Advertisements

[quote=Harrier;29083382]What does WW2 have to do with Jackie Robinson?

One event saved the world.

The other justified what the world was already gravitating towards.[/quote]

Quite an ignorant comment. America was going nowhere in terms of integration, voting and civil rights.

Left to it's own devices, segregation and Jim Crow would be alive today in some parts of this country.

people like J.R. and Jessie Owens not only told racists where to stick it metaphorically but their actions proved unassailiable.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:50 AM

155 posts, read 110,645 times
Going today after work. Didnt think about it at first but thanks to the OP and other posters I will be sitting there loving every minute Showtime is 7:10

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I dont think they shouldn't do this movie. Its an important time in history. For Jackie to break the barriers in sports and put up with what he had to deal with while keeping calm and standing strong, is a very important story.
I think they should do another movie about how racists many blacks are today.

Have you seen the interview with the black "Professor" from Columbia University I think, complaining about Condi Rice belonging to the Augusta Golf Club?

With some you can't win. When NO blacks or NO women being invited they complain. When they are invited, they still complain. Unfortunately there too many of his type around and they hold positions that they can spew their hate on the young.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The only thing I don't understand is why it took so long to make it. I would have made the movie in the 1960s or 70s. I believe that's when I read a book about his life and the life of Satchel Paige.
It DIDN'T take so long.

"Before going to see the new Jackie Robinson biopic 42, which opens Friday, you can see an earlier depiction of the baseball hero... starring the man himself. The Jackie Robinson Story was released in 1950, just a few years after Robinson broke the color barrier for the MLB. Not only had he achieved a great step for African-Americans in sports, but in cinema as well.
That Time Jackie Robinson Played Himself in His Own Biopic, 'The Jackie Robinson Story' | Movie News | Movies.com

Making it in the 50's was meant MUCH more then making it in the 60's and 70's.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM

What I find ironic is some say we should have this movie, and I agree, yet some of the same people say we shouldn't fly the Confederate flag because a racist group stole and used it.

History is history, some good, some bad.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
If YOU do not want to see the film then do not go to see the film....simple, easy, done.

Since when does your personal opinion dictate what anyone else should consider as an important story to be told.

I also find it quite ironic that you felt the need to 1) create this thread in Politics and Other Controversies vs the Entertainment forum and 2) that YOU are the one making the assumption that the film is about race when you haven't seen the film

This smells like your usual (and rather obvious) race bait thread. We see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The movie is promoted as "don't play the game, change the game."

What does "change the game" mean?

People who were good baseball players drive the success of the major leagues.

A lot of good baseball players in major league baseball happen to be black people.

Jackie Robinson was a good baseball player.

80% of baseball fans today most likely watched their first baseball game after Doby Gray and Jackie Robinson first played and during a time when black baseball players were a league fixture.

What is the point of the movie, 42?

Jackie Robinson and Dobie Gray accomplished what they did.

Why make a big deal about it?

Very few people alive find black baseball players unusual.

How come we can't "judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character?"

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I find ironic is some say we should have this movie, and I agree, yet some of the same people say we shouldn't fly the Confederate flag because a racist group stole and used it.

History is history, some good, some bad.
What is ironic about any of this?

Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think they should do another movie about how racists many blacks are today.

Have you seen the interview with the black "Professor" from Columbia University I think, complaining about Condi Rice belonging to the Augusta Golf Club?

With some you can't win. When NO blacks or NO women being invited they complain. When they are invited, they still complain. Unfortunately there too many of his type around and they hold positions that they can spew their hate on the young.
When "they are invited?"

Condi Rice joins Augusta, and now you and i should hold hands and scream Hallelujah?

SMH...unreal. But there it is in print. Thanks. LMAO

Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,570,627 times
Anyone who think that Hank Aaron has been 'thrown on the trash heap and ignored' is indefensibly stupid, and obviously doesn't know anything about baseball, or Jackie Robinson's contribution to our society and our history. The fact the he didn't know that Aaron broke Ruth's record when Barry Bonds was NINE years old certainly proves his incompetence in being able to discuss baseball history in the first place.

SOMEBODY had to demolish the color barrier and open the door for players such as Larry Doby, Willie Mays, Don Newcombe and many other African-Americans to come along and create their own legacies and make their substantial contributions to the game's legacy and history in the fifties and beyond, and I also agree that Branch Rickey certainly deserved plenty of credit for introducing Jackie Robinson to major league baseball, and the entire population of the USA, barely more than a decade after Jesse Owens embarrassed Adolf Hitler in his own backyard.

African-Americans such as myself are always and have always been extremely proud by any milestones or history-making accomplishments by any African-Americans, from Sidney Poitier, to Dr. Ralph Bunche to Roberto Clemente to Willie Mays to Henry Aaron to Calvin Peete to Michael Jackson to Janet Jackson to Tiger Woods and all the rest.

Jackie Robinson was a pioneer, a trailblazer, and a legend, pure and simple, and will NEVER be forgotten, and that .311 career batting average is definitely NOT mediocre.

Deal with it.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Anyone who think that Hank Aaron has been 'thrown on the trash heap and ignored' is indefensibly stupid, and obviously doesn't know anything about baseball, or Jackie Robinson's contribution to our society and our history.

Actually, Marv, he was disrespected and ignored for awhile. I'm old enough to remember it as it happened ... the baseball world celebrated in a minimal way and believe me, the racist element that was still fairly strong at that time was HORRIFIED. They openly threatened Hank for having the "nerve" to break a white man's baseball record. It was truly ugly.

Since then, MLB has tried to cover that up, and has tried to make up for it in many ways.

It was awful at the time, trust me. I'm thankful that people who are young enough, like you apparently, don't have to remember that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies