Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
His stats are rather mediocre - except for his BA.

There are many white players with similar stats who aren't in the HOF.
Well you start sending letters to the Hall of Fame, I am sure they will listen to your request to remove him from the Hall of Fame.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:29 PM

23 posts, read 20,650 times
The defending 1946 champion Cardinals threatened to boycott the 1947 season due to Robinson's arrival in the league. A huge stain on an otherwise illustrious history, but you don't hear them denying it.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
In that case, the player's in the Negro League had similarly meaningless accomplishments.

Integration of MLB was a good thing, but as someone said above, making a big deal of it in 2013 is just propaganda - and promotes division.

Can't we all just get along"?
Has it ever dawned on you that just because people don't wanna be united with YOU, doesn't mean that we have a division problem. Folks are getting along just fine, just not with YOU. Why don't you work on that.

And the Negro Leagues have never claimed to have more significant stats than MLB. But the Negro League existed because they couldn't play in MLB. One MLB owner threatened to stock his WHOLE TEAM with black players and the commissioner at the time, a nasty racist who is revered with a bust in the HOF, made sure that the owner couldn't do it.

Now why do you think this owner threatened such a thing? Because he wanted to lose? LMAO...you know damn well why. He was gonna win, win big, and do it for cheap.

Again...face the truth.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
That is because he only had about 9 years in the majors, vs 20+ years for Mays and Aaron. This is about someone being a pioneer, someone bringing in a new era where there would be no place for barring Blacks from Major League Baseball. It is about a historical accomplishment.
So a man said to him "I will pay you to hit a ball and run around the bases" and he did it - and that is a "historical accomplishment"?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
The movie is promoted as "don't play the game, change the game."

What does "change the game" mean?

People who were good baseball players drive the success of the major leagues.

A lot of good baseball players in major league baseball happen to be black people.

Jackie Robinson was a good baseball player.

80% of baseball fans today most likely watched their first baseball game after Doby Gray and Jackie Robinson first played and during a time when black baseball players were a league fixture.

What is the point of the movie, 42?

Jackie Robinson and Dobie Gray accomplished what they did.

Why make a big deal about it?

Very few people alive find black baseball players unusual.

How come we can't "judge people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character?"
Because if he didn't break the color barrier then who knows when it would have been broken. Why do you care about a documentary? Are you jealous of Jackie Robinson? In 1942 how many blacks could work side by side with whites at the highest levels? You know its illegal to use paint thinner in another manner than it was intended for.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
Heh. Blacks make up about 8% of baseball now and are dropping. Obama will probably propose some legislation to increase the ranks.
What about the "black hispanics"?

Are any of them named "Zimmerman"?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Most white people alive today had not a damn thing to do with Jim Crow, racism during those times. We've all read and heard the stories a gazillion times. The vast majority I'm sure are glad things aren't like that any more. I agree there seems to be a hollywood trend lately with these constant reminders of race issues of the past (Django Unchained, The Help, etc...). It is time to take the conversation elsewhere and until we do, race is always going to remain an issue.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude, I don't give a damn about Augusta National. As far as I'm concerned, they can turn it into a meeting hall for the Klan. Lmao...the place is on the other side of the country...makes me no difference who they invite or make a member. I never understood the controversy to begin with.

That they made Rice a member is completely meaningless to me.

Again, I don't care about some golf club in Georgia with an esoteric membership list. I hate golf. If i cared anything about golf, I could go to my own hometown (Scottsdale, Az) and play all the golf i want.

If Augusta wants to invite O.J. Simpson, I wouldn't give a damn. It ain't my business who they invite. In fact, before this thread, I disnt know that Rice was a member, and I slept quite well prior to finding out.
If you don't "care" why did you post in the first place and continue to post? Stay away. No one is forcing you to post. You won't be missed.

In fact DON'T ever post again about race because you don't care..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
As I've pointed out, black folks are well-represented in baseball. But I do believe that there should be more of an effort to reacquaint African Americans with the American pastime that they have contributed so much to.
What contributions are those?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:57 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
More propaganda I won't waste my money on. If he had been a white player you wouldn't even know who JR is.
You're joking right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies