Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up some constitutional rights to feel safe?
I would rather not have any security checks at airports and take my chances on the flight. 64 68.09%
I would be willing to submit to a search without probable cause so that my fight will be safer. 30 31.91%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is not just you, because about 300 other people would have to die with you. The society cannot sacrifice that many innocent lives just to appease your sensitivities.
I wasn't asked about 300 other people (don't know where you got that silly arbitrary number from...but whatever). I was asked about my own view, and i gave it. Case closed.

I was born a free American, and i want to die with the same damn freedoms i was born with and i don't want a single one of those freedoms molested or curtailed even the tiniest bit in exchange for security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM

1,160 posts, read 714,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As freely as i can move in and out of their countries.

My position on immigration is come here if you have something to offer and you're willing to live by our laws and culture. I don't care about your race, religion, language, or anything else.
Okay, how do you determine if they can offer anything? Am I wrong to assume you are opposed to ANY searches at airports to include ID checks? Do you think an extremist would be more likely to board an aircraft full of western people if these unlawful and liberty threatening ID checks did not occur? How would you determine if someone is legally entering the country if you are unable to search a US citizen under any circumstances other than probable cause?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
While our shampoo is being checked.........a couple of quick examples...

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab
Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, who was accused of trying to bomb Northwest Airlines Flight 253, was not on the No Fly List. Thirty-five days earlier, his father had made a report to two Central Intelligence Agency officers at the U.S. Embassy in Abuja regarding his son's "extreme religious views",[17][18] and told the embassy that Abdulmutallab might be in Yemen.[19] Acting on the report, Abdulmutallab's name was added in November 2009 to the 550,000-name U.S. Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment, a database of the U.S. National Counterterrorism Center. It was not added to the 4,000-name U.S. No Fly List.[20] Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano stated that the system "failed miserably", because Abdulmutallab had been able to board the flight.[21] President Barack Obama called the U.S.'s failure to prevent the bombing attempt "totally unacceptable", and ordered an investigation.[22]

Faisal Shahzad, who was convicted of planting a car bomb in Times Square, New York City,[23][24] was arrested after he had boarded Emirates Flight 202 to Dubai. He had been placed on the No Fly List earlier in the day.[25] The airline did not check the No Fly List for added names when Shahzad made his reservation that evening, when he later purchased the ticket,[25] or when he was allowed to board the plane. Only after a routine post-boarding check revealed that he was on the No Fly List[25] did agents board the plane and arrest him.[25]

Old 04-21-2013, 11:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As freely as i can move in and out of their countries.

My position on immigration is come here if you have something to offer and you're willing to live by our laws and culture. I don't care about your race, religion, language, or anything else.
Exactly. We would be expected to do the same if we were to relocate to another country. And I'm good with that. Their country, their rules. Having said that, the same goes here. Don't like the culture, don't like the rules, and refuse to assimilate, then go back where you came from!

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
So Muslims and non-whites are the only people worthy of checking for nefarious intent? Do you not understand how prejudicial your comments come off as?

Most terrorism is done by Muslims. If elderly white women were the top terrorist group I would say they should be the ones profiled.

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you argument is moot for a few reasons, not the least of which is that flying is a privilege not a right. the fourth amendment against unreasonable search and seizures was to prevent law enforcement from being able to walk into you home at anytime they wish and search your property. not stop them from searching you to prevent you from carrying contraband onto an airplane. when you buy that airline ticket, you agree to follow the rules set down by the airlines and the government.
Does the government run the airlines? That is news to me.

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Okay, how do you determine if they can offer anything? Am I wrong to assume you are opposed to ANY searches at airports to include ID checks? Do you think an extremist would be more likely to board an aircraft full of western people if these unlawful and liberty threatening ID checks did not occur? How would you determine if someone is legally entering the country if you are unable to search a US citizen under any circumstances other than probable cause?
I find the ID check to be the most objectionable. Once I've been determined not to possess dangerous items, why does the government need to know who the hell I am and where I'm going?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
What makes you think that these measures of security would be fail-proof? Remember, Not everything is guaranteed.
Nothing is fail-proof or guaranteed.Your point?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Okay, how do you determine if they can offer anything?
Are they going to be relying on welfare or contributing to society? There is a significant difference between a DR or engineer and someone with a 4th grade education that has no skills.

Quote:
How would you determine if someone is legally entering the country if you are unable to search a US citizen under any circumstances other than probable cause?
What does searching and verifying the status of someone already in the country have to do with searching and verifying the status of someone entering the country. When I go to Mexico or Canada I have to show a passport and to get back in I have to show a passport. If I'm walking down the street I'm not going to show my ID to anyone.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:50 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
I think we can put you on the record for choosing to give up a constitutional freedom for safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies