Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM

977 posts, read 764,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Okay. I'm game. As long as you're civil with me, I'll be civil with you. Deal? Is there a particular issue you want to discuss or is this about overall worldviews?
Pick any issue you wish and we'll go from there.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The right says reality and common sense - the left says no ...warm and fuzzy.

Liberals use emotion instead of reason when making important decisions.
LOL reality and common sense? Isn't this the same right that wants to use the Bible as the basis for secular laws? That is about as far away from reality and common sense as you can get. The most common problem afflicting people from both sides of the aisle is that they have lost the ability to smell their own BS.

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
First off, who, or what, is the "left?" Is it an organized political party? A hivemind which has a collective identity and singular opinion on every issue? Is it a term used for any position that doesn't conform to whatever position you hold? Or is it the name you've given to this particular straw man?

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
I could easily replace every sentence in the OP to prove that the same applies to both sides. How many times have I read threads with terms like "*******" or "looney liberal"? Quite a bit. Stop pretending that the left attacks the right and right-wingers always take the high ground. The irony is that one of your points is that character is important. I don't believe anyone who feels this way resorts to calling the POTUS Obummer, the FLOTUS Moochelle and anyone who disagrees with them stupid (*******) or crazy (loony liberal). Intellectual debates do not involve personal attacks, which goes to show that most debates (especially on CD) do not involve critical thinking.

Last edited by Factsplease; 04-22-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Some of the left say that all gun owners are fetishists who have a sexual relationship with their guns. They can't enter into ANY discussion without making it plain that it is all about sex and feelings of sexual inadequacy.
Freudian, perhaps?
Many gun owners, both left leaning and right leaning, say it is all hogwash.
The left says treat homosexuals equally. Some of the right says equal is fine, just don't call it "marriage", call it a "civil union". the left says "equal but different" is not acceptable.
The left says it is not a baby, it is just a chunk of tissue. The right says yes it is a baby, and has a right to live.
The left says provide education and food for poor children at government expense. The right says if you can't afford to raise a child, don't get pregnant.
The left says don't discriminate. So does the right. Many (if not most) of today's terrorists ARE Radical Islamists! Yes, in the past terrorists came in all flavors. Not so much today.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
LOL reality and common sense? Isn't this the same right that wants to use the Bible as the basis for secular laws? That is about as far away from reality and common sense as you can get. The most common problem afflicting people from both sides of the aisle is that they have lost the ability to smell their own BS.
Atta boy. Keep making my point.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I could easily replace every sentence in the OP to prove that the same applies to both sides.
Great! Then do so and back it up with fact. Not party loyalty.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
That's the short list. It would be novel if for once the left actually could articulate why they believe what they believe without saying "b-b-b-but Bush".
There are threads, forums, articles, papers, in fact entire libraries filled with liberal articulation of their positions without a single reference to any Bush or right wing burning tree.

Seek and ye shall find.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
First off, who, or what, is the "left?"
If you need to ask then you should exit the thread.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Atta boy. Keep making my point.
If your point is that you refuse to listen to anyone that disagrees with you, I agree he has done a very good job of proving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies