Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
No one insulted you. You cherry picked from my post to make a point you preferred while ignoring the rest. Did you not? Telling the truth based on fact is an insult to you? Are you sensitive?
I see, so "dodger" is a term of endearment, is it?

What exactly do you hope to accomplish with these little rhetorical games?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
How about universal healthcare? That's a hot one.

Here are reasons it's a good idea, in no particular order:
1. Everyone needs health care at some point and will use it
2. It's only fair and just that everyone pay into it. No free-riders. In a universal, tax-supported system, this can happen.
3. There is a lot of waste and overlap in our current system including lots of money spent on advertising and marketing that would be better spent on care. One system eliminates the need for this.
4. Having one big nationwide system gives you economies of scale to negotiate better rates on drugs and medical services - saving lots of money.
5. In the countries that have universal systems, large majorities of their populations like it. That's not to say there's not room for improvement, but they would not want to switch to our system. I think this is important.
6. While its true that certain individuals of means do travel to the US for certain procedures, the aggregate results over the entire populations of those countries are superior to our aggregate results.
7. We already have the framework for such a system in place. Medicare. It's a matter of expanding it.
8. Obamacare is not a true universal system and doesn't go nearly far enough.

Okay. That's a start.

Aside from the fact that the federal government has no Constitutional authority to implement UHC, the problem becomes rationing to control costs, government inefficiency and government incompetence with no one to regulate the government except the government.

I would accept a tax payer funded system administered by the states provided accountability is built into the system.

As for Medicare, Congress has been funding that program through the back door with doc fix for years and Medicare fraud is rampant.

It's hardly a model for a new system.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:

Quote:
The right says lower taxes the left says "you don't care about others'.
How about cutting spending equitably on programs including corporate welfare and the military industrial complex.

Quote:
The right says gun control does not work the left says "you want dead children'.
How about looking at countless data that says gun control will work and/or be willing to compromise on gun control legislation.

Quote:
The right says work hard and strive to do better the left says "it takes a village" and "you didn't build that".
How about considering the fact that public works is an integral part of allowing the free marketeers to prosper and considering that the astronomical changes in the CEO-dividend rate compared to the average working wage ratio has done more than anything in lowering middle class buying power.

Quote:
The right says character is important the left says "moral relativism and situational ethics".
How about realizing that "moral relativism" and "situation ethics" are unavoidable and must be considered within the context of the more general moral value being considered.

That's the short list. It would be novel if for once the left actually could articulate why they believe what they believe without saying "b-b-b-but Bush". It would also be refreshing if they could make an argument based on the merits of their belief system without the nuance, dodge, ducking, obfuscating, straw man, demonizing or otherwise going after the right simply because we believe differently. For those on the left, for once try to say why what you believe is best for this nation has merit without attacking the right.
Right wingers such as yourself are nothing but the mirror image of the caricature of the left wingers you claim can't "make an argument based on the merits of their belief system without the nuance, dodge, ducking, obfuscating, straw man, demonizing or otherwise going after the right simply because we believe differently."

To use economics as an example, left wing economic policies redistribute wealth just as you say they do. You recognize this and see the danger. However, you don't see that right wing economic policies tend to concentrate wealth into the hands of a few. The friction of these two philosophies grinding against each other provides us with as good a system as we can get and has served the country well over our existence. It is important that we maintain this balance although it's obvious that we are going to have true believers in both camps in order to allow this to happen.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
The global warming ruse was 'science'.

The BOR gives you equality.
So what you are saying, butkus is that you refute the hundreds of studies that say global warming is real over the few that say global warming is not?

And the BOR does NOT give you equality because gay partners get screwed over all the time on inheritances and such because they are not afforded the same protection as married couples.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Why do you think this is directed at you? Incredible!
No, what's incredible is you said "Liberals, defend your positions," you ask me why I would think this was directed at me and when I give you something to read you are besides yourself.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
1. We listen to science, not religion.

2. Because we believe in equality under the constitution, not half-assed attempts and thrown bones.

What is scientific about claiming a living fetus is part of the mother's body when it has its own unique DNA?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What is scientific about claiming a living fetus is part of the mother's body when it has its own unique DNA?
It is a part of the body. I never said it wasn't.

As for it being a separate person, unless your science is religion this is extremely debatable.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So what you are saying, butkus is that you refute the hundreds of studies that say global warming is real over the few that say global warming is not?

And the BOR does NOT give you equality because gay partners get screwed over all the time on inheritances and such because they are not afforded the same protection as married couples.

Homosexuals can't get a will?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:33 PM

977 posts, read 764,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Neither is the current "system." And Romneycare works fine in Massachusetts, where 98% of the population is covered.
Yes, but some people are born with a head start.
Yes, and we must be vigilant against becoming a "one dollar, one vote" system.
But they should not have the ONLY voice.
The top 10% also accounts for 77% of net worth and 88% of investment assets. If anything, they are undertaxed.
Romneycare was not Obamacare

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OLm5z38y6FEJ6Q

What is a 'head start'?

Everyone still gets a vote. Vigilance should be practiced under many circumstances.

The top 10% create the jobs and take the risksas well as pay the taxes. They have earned the wealth. And it is portable. If this nation wants them to pay more than their 'fair share'. they will leave and take the jobs with them.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM

977 posts, read 764,016 times
Quote:
No, what's incredible is you said "Liberals, defend your positions," you ask me why I would think this was directed at me and when I give you something to read you are besides yourself.
Okay.Then take a position and have a discussion instead of coming into the thread assuming I was talking about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies