Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It is astounding that the right-wingers are still flogging this in the desperate hope that they can somehow hurt the president with it. The fact that there was a different understanding of what was happening between people there and people thousands of miles away, is not a "scandal," it is a given.

Of course keyboard commandos who have never been closer to the action than a Clancy novel have never heard of the fog of war.
So the whole matter should just be dropped?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually the thought now is that A.Q. is just fine and all that's been accomplished has been to decentralize them and spread them out. So now they're not run by a singular OBL "head" but a bunch of little ones all over the place.
This may be worse than OBL given that we'd studied him for so long we had some idea of how he operated and could watch his communication lines for chatter. Now that it's decentralized what/who do we watch?
Also, there now may be some "leaders" that are more insane that OBL and willing to risk way more to strike a blow.
Sometimes better the devil you know.
Al-Qaeda has always been a loose federation of groups with varying degrees of alignment with the primary leadership bin Laden and al-Zawahiri.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:36 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times
There was a second attack. Which the contingent from Tripoli participated in. And two of them were killed.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:41 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So the whole matter should just be dropped?
What matter?

We all know what happened on the ground. We all know what happened in the communications. We all know which stories turned out ultimately to be true and which were not. And we all know that at this point the only "matter" remaining is the desperate witch hunt on the part of a political party so completely in dassarray and impotence that they would rather pursue this than actually engage in governance.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While parts of what you say may be accurate I have to question any "fog" that lasts 7 hours or is clear enough to be watching it the whole time.
Don't be silly. The "fog" often lasts for years. I was involved in two terrorist attacks in Turkey more than 30 years ago, and you could line up any three of us who were there and still get three different stories of what took place.

You have read too many Tom Clancey novels and watched too much TV. Real life is messier than you understand. Especially when you are being shot at.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:48 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
So far I don't see any similarity between Watergate and the Bengazi attack. The only parallel is in hardcore republicans minds: "wouldn't it be hilarious if Bengazi turns to be the Watergate of Obama"? Yes it would be hilarious, but it somply isn't...It is more in line with the birth certificate "scandal" pushed by Donald Trump. BTW, I guess Trump will restart his "inquiries" and send more detectives to Hawaii. Well, we must find something...anything...

Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,039,923 times
Uh oh. Hillary livers aren't gonna be happy about this one. Perhaps they can make this guy disappear before his testimony, I know that is what some of you wish.

Clinton sought end-run around counterterrorism bureau on night of Benghazi attack, witness will say | Fox News

Old 05-06-2013, 09:53 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
That's you basis? I didn't realize it was a pizzing contest. It appears someone can't count because your link shows two attacks in 2008 (Yemen and Serbia) (last I knew Obama was president in 2008) and Benghazi in 2012.

Keep in mind that it was the Libya consulate that was attacked, not the embassy. But let's look at diplomatic missions (embassies and consulates). The majority of the attacks below were on embassies:

Add:

2008:
Turkey

2011:
Syria
Kabul, Afghanistan
Sarejavo

Cairo, Egypt
Yemen
Reactions to the video were not listed. Following 9/11/12
Tunisia - breached
India - breached
In numerous countries protests that were threatening took place.
Reactions to Innocence of Muslims - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Turkey

List of attacks on diplomatic missions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless if no one died or 100 a died, if it was a lone gunman or a mob, an attack is an attack.

I'm inclined to rely on my link rather than yours. More importantly, and interesting, please look at how many attacks are noted during the Bush administration. You might be surprised. Or will you think there were deliberate omissions because the source leans to the right?

If you are so outraged as to what happened while Bush was in office and it was never addressed, you need to take it up with your party and ask them why they didn't investigate those attacks.

Last edited by softblueyz; 05-06-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Uh oh. Hillary livers aren't gonna be happy about this one. Perhaps they can make this guy disappear before his testimony, I know that is what some of you wish.
I have to tell you... he better have something more compelling to say on Wednesday than this, because this "testimony" is a nerf ball.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If you are so outraged as to what happened while Bush was in office and it was never addressed, you need to take it up with your party and ask them why they didn't investigate those attacks.
The Democrats don't embark on witch hunts. That's the R's domain, which they prove every time a Democrat is in the White House. See Ken Starr and his wasted $70 million in a futile attempt to bring down President Clinton as a great example.

Benghazi is just continuing with the usual right wing faux outrage tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies