Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From the link:

"It's a temporary thing out of respect," said Kent, who is the Store Manager of the Williams-Sonoma at the Natick Mall.

Maybe it was the only way they could think of to show respect. If I were buying a pressure cooker for a bomb, I wouldn't go to Williams-Sonoma to do get it. I wouldn't even go to Macy's. If I had to buy it new, I'd go to Walmart.
LOL you got that right - I'd be looking at Goodwill or at garage sales!

But then - I already have one. It was my grandmother's. I've always been scared to use it. Now I know why. It could suddenly morph into a bomb, sort of like one of those transformers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Another example of Armstrong's law in action. Armstrong's law is that a libertarian's reductio ad absurdum is a bureaucrat functionary's logical consequence that must be fully implemented.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
This discussion is making me feel very nervous and hesitant about buying a pressure cooker ...... what if the pressure gauge thingie broke, and the damn thing blew up like a bomb? I think I'll just cook up my turkey the oldfashioned way.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,168,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Make a joke about some abysmally silly thing liberals might do, and you'll get a laugh that day. But you might find them actually DOING it, in all seriousness, tomorrow.
I'll bet anything that manager is a conservative, like most administrators.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
*sigh* Better get to REI before they stop selling backpacks.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
From the link:

"It's a temporary thing out of respect," said Kent, who is the Store Manager of the Williams-Sonoma at the Natick Mall.

Maybe it was the only way they could think of to show respect. If I were buying a pressure cooker for a bomb, I wouldn't go to Williams-Sonoma to do get it. I wouldn't even go to Macy's. If I had to buy it new, I'd go to Walmart.
I read that. Using that line of thinking, maybe the whole Boston Marathon should be cancelled next year "out of respect".

Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I read that. Using that line of thinking, maybe the whole Boston Marathon should be cancelled next year "out of respect".

Cancel the Boston Marathon? That would only show that the pressure cooker bombs won!

Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,676,249 times
I would guess most pressure cookers are made by the same hole in China, then a name label slapped on, and you're good to go.

I use water bath for canning. I've never used a pressure cooker.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:51 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
I agree that the response is over the top and a little dumb, but it's not the government pulling them--it's the STORE. I think it's entirely a PR thing for them--they think it will be good for business to get them out of there as a sign of respect. They're probably right. Being seen as a good and sympathetic corporate citizen, even if it's a meaningless gesture, is good for your bottom line. Why do you think most companies do philanthropic giving? It's because how it makes the business look to the public vs. because they actually care, or at least it is for the most part.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-24-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Are you promoting the construction of homemade bombs???
No more than all of the news channels making sure with hundreds of broadcast that every person young and old learns all about the home made bombs used in Boston..I think too much information has been given out about this. Now millions of people who always thought that making a bomb was very hard now KNOW it is not... The news stations now have even told where to get the explosives needed to make bombs and that anyone can buy them and not even have to show an ID. This is crazy. Too much information is irresponsible but its too late now.

Last edited by crestliner; 04-24-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies