Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Who said anyone did?
I was agreeing with ya. I am on your side. Besides that a few chemicals never killed anyone.

Never cared much for Twinkies. Ding Dongs are pretty good though. Eaten a few of them without keeling over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I was agreeing with ya. I am on your side. Besides that a few chemicals never killed anyone.

Never cared much for Twinkies. Ding Dongs are pretty good though. Eaten a few of them without keeling over.
All things in moderation

Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Busting Unions created the biggest middle class this nation has ever known and the side effects were the most prosperous time in US history. It was Harding & Coolidge, with the roaring 20's.
Bwaha, what a load of crap! The roaring 20's were "roaring" because credit was flowing. It was a requirement since wages stagnated, yet people simply had to own the latest gadgets and a better house. Hmm, what time period does that resemble??? The growth of the 20's was unsustainable, which is why a crash ensued. Same reason for the "great recession". When wages stagnate and union membership declines, people aren't simply going to give up their 1st world standard of living. They'll use credit to fill in the gaps, until that doesn't work anymore. But hey, CEO's need their bonuses and compensation packages that are hundreds of times larger than that of the common working filth.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:04 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The thread isnt about the nutritional value of twinkies.
Keep munching those sour grapes * chomp* *chomp* *chomp*
Twinkies are not about what they are made with? That's a real smart statement. Please explain what you think the term "sour grapes" actually means, because I don't think you even know. Speaking of Ding Dongs, apparently you have a cake with a namesake.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's a shame. Twinkies and Ding Dongs are disgusting.
Not necessarily. Wonderful snack when nothing much is going on and you're surfing the net or watching TV.

Makes for a great snack after a little league baseball game, too!

Ah, the memories.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:51 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Have a little respect. Big Government forcing companies to pay workers a living wage and unionization, is what created the middle class two generations ago.

Unions are not what brought down Hostess -- a company that failed to innovate or change its product in 60 years.
Little Acorn forgot to mention that their union made deep concessions 3 times earlier when Hostess was headed for bankruptcy. Hostess was badly in need of a new vehicle fleet, bakery modernization, and was severely mis-managed for the past 20 years. In all, Hostess veered toward bankruptcy 10 times before it finally went under.

The union was asked to accept a wage that was below minimum. We all know a family does very well these days on a minimum wage job.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Little Acorn forgot to mention that their union made deep concessions 3 times earlier when Hostess was headed for bankruptcy. Hostess was badly in need of a new vehicle fleet, bakery modernization, and was severely mis-managed for the past 20 years. In all, Hostess veered toward bankruptcy 10 times before it finally went under.

The union was asked to accept a wage that was below minimum. We all know a family does very well these days on a minimum wage job.
Below minimum wage ? I don't think so.

Well the unions won. They stood their ground and Hostess caved and declared bankruptcy.
Now those union members are free to go work at Walmart and McDonalds for min wage.

And the new Hostess is not saddled with 372 union contracts, 80 health and benefits plans, and 40 pension plans.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Really? The company broke the law by paying their workers less than minimum wage? And union allowed it? I think that's a lie.

And in those 20 years, those workers were FREE to go elsewhere for employment.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
This story should really be titled

"American lower to middle class workers force Hostess to shut down, reopening now with Mexican Immigrants and teenagers and Federal subsidized workers" God bless America.

This had nothing to do with unions.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
maybe pay them 55.00 per hr, sell the twinkies at 75.00 each. if you dont want to work at twinkies, then go to school and get educated. or just shut up and do what you are told. stop whinning about the pay folks get, if they take the job it is because they want it. nobody is forcing anybody to work. it is not slavery, maybe they can stay home and get welfare, that is usually a better gig anyway. but many folks have dignity and want to make some money by working for it. come home and spend it with family and friends.
so if a person want to work minimun wage, while the ceo gets big dollars, so be it. the CEO probably went to school, worked hard, is ambitious. If i got millions i would not complain, if you got millions you would not complain. but since you are on this forum like me, you are pretty much broke and trying to blame a CEO for your brokeness. i dont care if my CEO got billions, i just want to work and get paid whatever i agreed to when i took the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies