Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Hmm, I wonder what the starting wage will be.

It will be as low a possible until they cannot find enough qualified people to take the jobs. That is how it should work. It is called "supply and demand".

Maybe the factory will go fully automatic with robots and the only "workers" will be high-tech computer operators and engineers who can maintain the equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 05:48 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
yeah Henry Ford set a bad example back in the 1930s when he paid his workers enough to buy his product. Workers should only get paid enough to pay their company's product......10 years after they built it. That way we can enjoy life with the obviously happy Mexicans who own cars that are 15-20 years old (not joking, either. Go streetview most neighborhoods in Mexico and a ton of the cars look like they are from the early to mid 90s)
Yeah, things were so good back in 1903. It's 2013 now.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
It will be as low a possible until they cannot find enough qualified people to take the jobs. That is how it should work. It is called "supply and demand".
That would work in an ideal world, but we don't live in an ideal world. We live in reality, and the reality is the government, at the behest of the "job creators" you love and worship so much demand the US be flooded with immigrants from developing nations, legally and illegally, to artificially drive wages down. That is what is happening with non-union low skill jobs. Free market my ass, pardon my Mexican. The free market is not what is demanding 12+ million illegals to be living here in addition to the million plus immigrants we legally take in every year, not with 7%+ unemployment

Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,177,421 times
Quote:
yeah Henry Ford set a bad example back in the 1930s when he paid his workers enough to buy his product. Workers should only get paid enough to pay their company's product......10 years after they built it. That way we can enjoy life with the obviously happy Mexicans who own cars that are 15-20 years old (not joking, either. Go streetview most neighborhoods in Mexico and a ton of the cars look like they are from the early to mid 90s)

I don't think BMW cares if its workers can afford to buy their cars and they are doing just fine.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
All companies should pay minimum wage or less (via illegal immigration)
obama (whom you support) waived his magic wand and legalized millions of unskilled workers onto the job market.

Live with the consequences.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
obama (whom you support) waived his magic wand and legalized millions of unskilled workers onto the job market.

Live with the consequences.
I support Obama? Didn't know a vote for Romney translated into a vote for Obama but whatever

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why stop there? Just repeal the 13th Amendment so companies can own their workers -- because that's really what you are endorsing, a regression back to a time when workers lived hand-to-mouth at the mercy of the company, which was owned by plutocrats smoking cigars and sniffing cognac.
Yes! Let's continue this race to the bottom for the middle class ~ while the plutocrats grow ever richer. I love how the Hostess CEO's paid themselves a lovely bonus for running the company into the ground.

Righties got no problem with that; I never see them mention it. All the blame goes to the evil union.

This is SO silly. Probably the unions did make some outrageous demands. Probably the CEO's made quite a few mistakes - both sides could have done better. Yet 18,000 serfs are out of work and the top 1% made a fortune. Again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

When will the middle class tire of this?

Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yes! Let's continue this race to the bottom for the middle class ~ while the plutocrats grow ever richer. I love how the Hostess CEO's paid themselves a lovely bonus for running the company into the ground.

Righties got no problem with that; I never see them mention it. All the blame goes to the evil union.

This is SO silly. Probably the unions did make some outrageous demands. Probably the CEO's made quite a few mistakes - both sides could have done better. Yet 18,000 serfs are out of work and the top 1% made a fortune. Again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

When will the middle class tire of this?
The battle for the balance of profit and worker wages is a battle of tug o' war. You need the unions to pull on one end of the rope while the management and owner class tug on the other. In some instances, the union side tugs too hard while the management side tugs too hard. Both need to have equal or near equal force. On the one hand, you can't have unions demanding unrealistically high wages for the skill level of the job, but on the other hand you can't have the CEOs way of having what amounts to a neo-slave class of workers who must work for bottom dollar. American and western European society did not become the hallmarks of civilization based on extreme, tea party fanatic right wing race to the bottom ideology. Only China and India have bucked this trend, but that's only because they both have a billion people in their countries so that 9% yearly GDP growth and fancy new highways and trains looks fantastic on paper even if it's not in real life.

My point is, we need the unions around to maintain our standard of living. The "job creators" are not going to keep paying good wages out of the goodness of their hearts. They wouldn't be lobbying for mass immigration if that was the case.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM

370 posts, read 440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You don't have to apply for the job and neither do anyone in those towns, starting the bakeries back up.

Isn't a choice in life wonderful, when you live in the USA. In China they would be forced....

Unless of course you have lots of people who have been unemployed long term and will take anything.

You must be a real moron not to realize this is definitely not an employees job market right now.

But isnt that what you guys want? (emulate China?)

Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's a shame. Twinkies and Ding Dongs are disgusting.
HEY! Our cat likes twinkies, (AND the packaging). LOL

However, just because YOU don't like them, do you feel it's your right to force your dislike on others. Some people like them.

1500 people back to work. What will their pay be? Probably whatever they agree to work for. If the pay is too little, they need to either negotiate, or work elsewhere.

They can do what I did. I used to make close to 6 digits a year. Got laid off because of the economy. Worked 2, 3 and sometimes 4 part time jobs a week to keep my family and I afloat. Found full time employment making ¼ of what I used to make.

SO - - - I took the job, proved my value as an employee, now, making almost double what I started at 7 years ago. Still nowhere what I WAS making, BUT, my kids are grown, and all I support is myself, I don't need that kind of money any longer AND I am under a great deal less stress.

Start at the bottom, work your way up. If you prove your value, you get compensated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies