Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When you need billions of taxpayer dollars to stay in business, you are not viable.
The same could be said for companies like Walmart, who require tax payers to feed their workers. But hey, it's capitalism, right? More like communism. Who wants to bet most of these new twinkie jobs will pay <$10/hr???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You don't have to apply for the job and neither do anyone in those towns, starting the bakeries back up.

Isn't a choice in life wonderful, when you live in the USA. In China they would be forced....
Amen. Hostess is a perfect example of that as 19,500 freely chose. 18,000 freely chose unemployment over work, and 1,500 will freely choose work over unemployment. All of them are achieving their goal.

Free markets rock. No one is a hostage, be he a worker or a business owner. Each can leave at any time, relocate, start a new facility, close an old one.

That would never happen in a totalitarian nation.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The same could be said for companies like Walmart, who require tax payers to feed their workers. But hey, it's capitalism, right? More like communism. Who wants to bet most of these new twinkie jobs will pay <$10/hr???

Their workers have a choice in life.

If they work at walmart, chances are they don't qualify for assistance.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
That's a shame. Twinkies and Ding Dongs are disgusting.
I be luvin my Twinkies! I didn't want one until they went out of business, then I craved one for weeks.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
I still have the box from my last Ding Dongs.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,300,756 times
When the OP uses an extremist 2% wealthy elitist website to show it extremist viewpoint be scared.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The size of government and monetary inflation expanded dramatically during the years in your chart.

The 1920's created the first middle class, the 50's was IKE and he also reduced the size of government, expanding on what the 20's placed in many minds. Another common denominator of prosperity.
The income of the middle class grew dramatically during the 1940s and 1950s, because of an expanded government and inflation was outpaced by middle class income gains. Those were the golden years for the middle class. It was the time when that expanded government spent more on public education and programs that helped the masses. Eisenhower did not cut back those programs. He honored them, as his below quote states.

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, l952-----

Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Why stop there? Just repeal the 13th Amendment so companies can own their workers -- because that's really what you are endorsing, a regression back to a time when workers lived hand-to-mouth at the mercy of the company, which was owned by plutocrats smoking cigars and sniffing cognac.
But MTA, I fail to see how any of that is bad. I mean, if we an make the rich people as comfortable as possible, it'll be good for all of us. So what if that means we would have to work 14 hour days, have broken families, spiral into alcohol abuse, all the while making enough money to have the heat on in winter for an hour a day? If it's for the benefit of the "job creators", then I don't see a problem, we live for them after all.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:37 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yeah, because the last thing we need is a viable auto company providing well-paid manufacturing jobs.
Auto workers don't need any stinking new cars, families or homes, let 'em live in tents like the riff raff they are. <heavy>
Quote:
I be luvin my Twinkies! I didn't want one until they went out of business, then I craved one for weeks.
Quote:
I still have the box from my last Ding Dongs.
You are what you eat.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Auto workers don't need any stinking new cars, families or homes, let 'em live in tents like the riff raff they are. <heavy>
yeah Henry Ford set a bad example back in the 1930s when he paid his workers enough to buy his product. Workers should only get paid enough to pay their company's product......10 years after they built it. That way we can enjoy life with the obviously happy Mexicans who own cars that are 15-20 years old (not joking, either. Go streetview most neighborhoods in Mexico and a ton of the cars look like they are from the early to mid 90s)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies